FZ6 Help, High pitched whine

Mine definitely whined, I read some of the posts under Mods and found that several others had the whine as well.

There is a post there for an airbox mod, that eliminated the whine from their bikes, I did it and the whine is gone. I have not seen any performance improvements, other than the throttle lag I used to get when I would throttle up quickly is gone.

After doing it however (too impulsive maybe :confused:), I began to read additional posts about the possibility that this may harm the bike in some way. So, think carefully about this mod and seek additional advice before doing it, maybe ask the mechanics where you got your bike or ask Yamaha directly.

In the meantime, I am going to order a new top for my airbox and try to learn some more myself.

Good luck :thumbup:

:jawdrop: Man! I really need to start looking at how old this posts are :tard:

I'm glad the post got bumped though. I've wondered about this same whine and haven't been able to determine weather or not it's coming from the gear box or the air box. I'm convinced it is the tranny now though. Perhaps they didn't cut enough of a spiral in 4th to make it shut up.

On a side note, the Subaru comments cracked me up. I love my Legacy to death, and agree completely with the "agricultural" comment. Wouldn't trade either of my vehicles for the world though. :rolleyes:

Mine whines in any gear 4th 5th or 6th between 47-53mph, and only when I am maintaining speed, it gets worse with the clutch in though. I'm pretty sure it is transmission whine.

Back