Fz6 help

pyrokid73

Reaction score
Visit site
So i am looking to get a bike other than what i have right now, an 02 R6.

I love the supersport bike and how it handles is great, the power is awesome, and i have no problem being on it for long hours all weekend (my girlfriend on the other hand...).

So I am looking at some FZ1's and FZ6's.

I have looked around and know that i want a 2004 at the oldest, and probably a 2007-2009 if i find a good one.

I just wanted to know how big the changes in '07 were, how the power/handling compare to an R6 or similar I4 600cc supersport, and if there are anything specific to look for as far as defects/common problems on certain models/years.

Thanks in advance!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 07, the main changes:

First year of 4 piston calipers up front.
Different speedometer set up,
Sub frame has removeable pillion peg assemblies.
Updated swingarm.
Windhshield does NOT cover most of the front end fairing.
Moved the radiator over flow tank in front of the engine instead of
under the seat

I believe at least 04 and maybe 05's have a TPS re-call (still free)

I believe the rest is pretty much the same, slightly fifferent fairings, both the mian front outside, the inside fairing is also slightly different.

My 07 with open Scorps, runs like a scalded ape and will power wheelie easily in first, sometimes in second gear as well with stock gearing. If you want more acceleration, one smaller tooth sprocket up front makes a big difference in acceleration/wheeling, etc.

Many folk complain about the handling of both the S1 (04-06) and S2 (07-09) however for my style riding, its fine. I do have risers/set backs as I don't do the leaning forward thing anymore..

Last edited:

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
The 07+ also received updated fuel mapping which allegedly makes them easier to modulate the throttle, but I've never ridden an 04-06. I personally cannot stand digital tachs which the 04-06 models also have. The 07+ gauges are very easy to read, IMO.

pyrokid73

Reaction score
Visit site
Alright, so this is one I think I'm going to seriously look at.

From what the guy told me it needs for sure:
new battery
new front tire

I figured with what he was saying, other parts in the charging system may need to be replaced due to being stressed with a battery that won't hold a charge. It also looks like the windscreen is missing in the pictures.

I am very mechanically inclined, so labor is not much of an issue unless it's something huge. I figure, even if i replace everything in the charging system with expensive OEM parts, I'm still only out ~$600 for a stator, r/r, and battery. plus of course a front tire.

Is there anything I should look for on the bike due to it being a 2007 FZ6? or is there not many common problem with 07+ FZ6's?

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site

new battery
new front tire

I figured with what he was saying, other parts in the charging system may need to be replaced due to being stressed with a battery that won't hold a charge. It also looks like the windscreen is missing in the pictures.

I am very mechanically inclined, so labor is not much of an issue unless it's something huge. I figure, even if i replace everything in the charging system with expensive OEM parts, I'm still only out ~$600 for a stator, r/r, and battery. plus of course a front tire.

Is there anything I should look for on the bike due to it being a 2007 FZ6? or is there not many common problem with 07+ FZ6's?

Looks like a great deal from what I can tell - there's the obvious stuff to look for on any bike that I'm sure you're aware of (chain wear, fork health, mileage and dings, fluids etc). This one still looks completely stock so it was either not molested or was molested and then fully converted back - either way I think you're fine there.

You decided on the FZ pretty quickly - hope you're okay with a huge difference from the R6. I love my 06, but it's no supersport - you're going to be pretty frustrated with the suspension (not adjustable and generally soft (especially when 2up) - the power is okay, leaves me wanting more at low range but if you keep the revs high she pulls. She also feels bigger than she is - compared with 600 Supersports which have lower seats, it's kind of like riding an enduro - which can be a welcome change.

JeffD

Reaction score
Visit site

new battery
new front tire...

Looks pretty Stock, and that's one of the 1st things I personally would look for. Do what you want, how you want later. :D Looks like a steal unless there are hidden, non-disclosed problems. Sounds like you're OK with some repair & fixup, just wouldn't want a big $urprise. Is it ridable? Doesn't sound like it. That may concern me since you can't hear or test anything.

Many before me have done quite well at describing the differences you asked about, but the 07 also adds a Helmet Lock on the side. If you're interested... The forks are also blacked out on the 07-->

pyrokid73

Reaction score
Visit site
the guy told me he has been push starting it, don't know how long this has been going on, but i know this isn't good for the charging system, which is why i mentioned replacing the charging system...

so i will be push starting it, listening to it, and riding it around at least a little bit

pyrokid73

Reaction score
Visit site
well i was going to go check it out and prob buy it today... it's sold :/

...now i wait for the next good deal...

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
The 2002 R6 only made about 110 hp. The FZ6 makes just shy of 100 hp so the power loss will be minimal, especially since the FZ6 makes better mid-range torque than the older R6 motors. If you think the R6 is comfortable to ride around all day you are going to feel like you are floating on feathers when you ride the FZ6! I've ridden an R6 after owning my FZ6 and I couldn't wait to get back on my comfortable FZ6!

The 2006+ FZ6 report very little problems. 2004/2005 had some TPS issues. Many FZ6 owners have over 50,000 miles without any major service required, just tires, oil, coolant and brake fluid and keep the chain lubed an adjusted and ride! I have 20,000 miles on mine. Never a problem.

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
The suspension ills are easily fixed with $$. In stock trim, the FZ6 is very jittery. A properly sprung shock, fork springs and oil make it very rideable.