FZ6 is dropping revs at around 6000rpm

danieljfield

Reaction score
Visit site
Just took my fz6 07 for a spin after keeping it garaged for the cold season, but bike was started for about 5/10 minutes once every 2 weeks. i pout petrol in it and took it out but i noticed the revs dropped really quick and kicked back in causing the bike to kinda jolt, this happened between 4500/6000rpm when i gunned it. kind of scary the first time but i was wondering if anyone knew what this was???
could it be a build up of crappy fuel after being left....or is it something serious?

Thanks for yar'll help =D:thumbup:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just took my fz6 07 for a spin after keeping it garaged for the cold season, but bike was started for about 5/10 minutes once every 2 weeks. i pout petrol in it and took it out but i noticed the revs dropped really quick and kicked back in causing the bike to kinda jolt, this happened between 4500/6000rpm when i gunned it. kind of scary the first time but i was wondering if anyone knew what this was???
could it be a build up of crappy fuel after being left....or is it something serious?

Thanks for yar'll help =D:thumbup:

Perhaps something like this could have happened????
638080969_2281172208_0.jpg

638081495_2281174105_0.jpg

Lots of things it could be but an inspection under the tank could be helpful. How long was it sitting and did it have fuel stabilizer in it? I'd also check your battery connection and do tell us more about the battery health. Starting it every 2 weeks likely didnt do much for the battery or bike. Was it stored with an empty fuel tank? It could be full of moisture? Tell us more about the prep and how long it sat.
Oh and welcome to the forum! :thumbup:

danieljfield

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks =D
il check all those things in the morning and let you know how i get on.
The bike was left in the garage from around beginning of november. i started every now and again. i have a datatool battery charger which il use but the battery is in good condition as far as i know.
there was 1/2 bars of fuel which was left in the bike so was pretty empty. ive filled the tank up now but i will be looking at the air filter etc tomorrow.
Everything else seemed fine on the bike, started easily first while being left through cold weather.
Il update tomorrow :D
Thanks

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks =D
il check all those things in the morning and let you know how i get on.
The bike was left in the garage from around beginning of november. i started every now and again. i have a datatool battery charger which il use but the battery is in good condition as far as i know.
there was 1/2 bars of fuel which was left in the bike so was pretty empty. ive filled the tank up now but i will be looking at the air filter etc tomorrow.
Everything else seemed fine on the bike, started easily first while being left through cold weather.
Il update tomorrow :D
Thanks

You didn't mention if the fuel was stabilized.

Leaving the tank half full WILL HELP RUST THE INSIDE..

If the gas is that old and un-treated siphone as much out as you can (better yet- pull the tank, flip it upside down/maybe flush and get rid of it).

With fresh fuel, run either Seafoam thru it or Chevron Tectron To help clean the system. Seafoam cleans and stabilizes the fuel, Techtron will clean better (and NOT stabilize the fuel)

You can use either on the heavy side, it won't hurt anything and may take a couple of tanks to clean up depending on your situation...

mnuttall87

Reaction score
Visit site
I think he said half a bar -- definitely just plain old empty! Use something like Seafoam to clean it out if you're planning on starting to ride again now.

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm I'm kinda courious also. With the tank that empty and being started every now and then the heat from the engine would have warmed up the tank and then it would have cooled after shutdown. I bet the fuel had lots of moisture in it and the bike was choking on water.

birdman2389

Reaction score
Visit site
When storing anything with gasoline you should always fill the tank before storage and STABALIZE THE FUEL. I work at a yamaha dealership and it is ridiculous how many injectors get plugged from fuel issues and lack of fuel conditioning. Also, small amounts of gas experience phase separation quicker.

danieljfield

Reaction score
Visit site
All those post were very helpfull....sorry for the late reply :spank:
i checked the air fitler, all seemed ok but think im going to upgrade it anyway...i have since been riding it more and have put a full tank in. My guess is that moisture must have been in the tank (as said above) im hoping its flushed everything out by now because it hasnt done it in a while, fingers crossed:confused:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
All those post were very helpfull....sorry for the late reply :spank:
i checked the air fitler, all seemed ok but think im going to upgrade it anyway...i have since been riding it more and have put a full tank in. My guess is that moisture must have been in the tank (as said above) im hoping its flushed everything out by now because it hasnt done it in a while, fingers crossed:confused:

Sounds good. Bad fuel can cause havoc.

I'd personally run some Seafoam or Chevron tectron thru it to clean it up the rest of the way. The Seafoam will help stabilize the fuel, the Tectron, more to clean. Putting in a heavy dose of both won't hurt anything (preventive maintainance)...