FZ6 newbie

IMPY03

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi fellas

My name is Eddie and I am thinking about purchasing my first motorcycle this Friday. I understand this is a 600cc bike and can be a handful for a newbie but I have also taken the MSF class last summer to prepare for my first motorcycle and I respect that right hand while riding. My uncle owns a near mint stock 2007 FZ6 in red with 11,000 miles and is willing to sell it to me for $3,300.00, would this be a fair deal for this 7 year old bike?

I do know I am getting a great mechanical condition motorcycle because he has made sure to keep up with the general servicing and has also just recently put new tires on (less than 600 miles on both).

I took it for a test ride this past Sunday for about 2-3 hours around the country and main highway and it was a smooth riding bike with plenty of power, although the clutch did seem rather long and finicky (stalled it 2 or 3 times) is this normal or does the clutch need adjusting/replacing?

All help and opinions are appreciated and I hope to become a contributing member to this community! Thanks! -Eddie

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
I only rode for 1 year before getting my fz6, it definitely needs to be respected but I believe its a pretty solid starter bike since it is reasonable at lower rpm's but gives you lots of room to grow into it as your skills progress.

Here in Canada that'd be a very reasonable deal, I was seeing 2007-2009 models going for between $4500 and $5500 last year, and that's a decently low mileage. new tires are definitely a plus and If you know its full maintenance schedule and the kind of guy your uncle is when it comes to maintenance and repairs then it should give you a lot of peace of mind. Its always nerve wracking buying a bike or vehicle not knowing if you can trust the PO took as good care of it as you would.

When you say the clutch is long do you mean the pull? as is well documented on here our clutch has a very short friction zone and the pull itself can be hard, just take your time learning with it and make sure the cable is well lubed. There used to be a guy who made alterations to the stock clutch slave lever which made the pull easier and the friction zone longer.. but I think the boat has sailed on getting your hands on one of those anymore, if your handy or know a shop there are details on how to machine and weld up one.

IMPY03

Reaction score
Visit site
When you say the clutch is long do you mean the pull? as is well documented on here our clutch has a very short friction zone and the pull itself can be hard, just take your time learning with it and make sure the cable is well lubed.

Yes I meant the pull is very long and the friction zone is somewhat "touchy" to me but I guess as you stated it is because of the short friction zone.

The clutch is really the only thing I did not care much for, especially when riding in stop and go traffic it was just nerve racking worrying about stalling the bike in a crowd of vehicles.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
If i were you I'd grab that up in a minute. $3,300 for a FZ6 that has such low milage sounds like a winner to me.

And the clutch doesn't take long to get use to.

ccew

Reaction score
Visit site
Fwiw, after I swapped out my stock levers, I noted an improvement. This winter I installed a new clutch cable and it feels much smoother. If it's rough you can lube it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LeeFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Eddie,
I'd grab that deal in a sec. I'm glad to hear that you took the MSF course, I did that same and i'm planning on taking advance course this summer. I've been riding for about 3 years. I started off dual sport (my dads) for a year, and I bought FZ6 last year. Keep in mind that FZ6 is not a super sport bike. It's more like a sport touring. It's such a great all around bike. I can keep up with the super sport riders, sometime i'm way ahead of them; it's all about skills. And I also go touring on it, I like it so much. I'm sure FZ6 is a great starter bike.
And hey :welcome: brother.

rumblestrip

Coffee Drinker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome! :welcome:

That is a great price for that bike, in my opinion. :thumbup: If you're talking about respecting the throttle on this bike, keep it to 5,000 RPMs and under while you grow your skill set and get used to it. You'll get accustomed to the friction zone on the clutch. The throttle can also be a bit "touchy" in the higher RPMs, some would say, but I think that is something that you can also get used to.

Anyway, best of luck. :rockon:

IMPY03

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Eddie,
I'd grab that deal in a sec. I'm glad to hear that you took the MSF course, I did that same and i'm planning on taking advance course this summer. I've been riding for about 3 years. I started off dual sport (my dads) for a year, and I bought FZ6 last year. Keep in mind that FZ6 is not a super sport bike. It's more like a sport touring. It's such a great all around bike. I can keep up with the super sport riders, sometime i'm way ahead of them; it's all about skills. And I also go touring on it, I like it so much. I'm sure FZ6 is a great starter bike.
And hey :welcome: brother.

Thanks man!

Welcome! :welcome:

That is a great price for that bike, in my opinion. :thumbup: If you're talking about respecting the throttle on this bike, keep it to 5,000 RPMs and under while you grow your skill set and get used to it. You'll get accustomed to the friction zone on the clutch. The throttle can also be a bit "touchy" in the higher RPMs, some would say, but I think that is something that you can also get used to.

Anyway, best of luck. :rockon:

Yeah my uncle informed me that it is almost like a power band once you get over a certain amount on the RPMs, sort of like you are getting 2 bikes in one. One for cruising and great gas mileage and another that you could really ride aggressive. Sounds like a really fun bike to start on!

Thanks again guys I really appreciate all the input! :thumbup:

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks man!

Yeah my uncle informed me that it is almost like a power band once you get over a certain amount on the RPMs, sort of like you are getting 2 bikes in one. One for cruising and great gas mileage and another that you could really ride aggressive. Sounds like a really fun bike to start on!

Thanks again guys I really appreciate all the input! :thumbup:
That's EXACTLY what it's like!

I started on a nin250 but I can see that the FZ6 would make for a decent starter, even though it was noticeably heavier to sit on and maneuver around at first (more so since it's pretty tall)

I got my FZ last summer for $4100 and it had 4400mi, so some would say I paid too much and some wouldn't, the HUGE bonus I see with yours is that it has new tires... mine still has the original pair. I'd love to really open this bike up some more but I'm softer on it until I wear these out and I can get fresher shoes on it :) (I have slight buyers remorse, since I wanted to try the Nin300 out also...and about a month after owning this I saw another FZ for $3500 with all the mods I'd want to do to mine...already done. but I digress lol)

Last edited:

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
mine still has the original pair. I'd love to really open this bike up some more but I'm softer on it until I wear these out and I can get fresher shoes on it :)

You should realllllly consider putting new tires on that, those are at least 7 years old now and that's assuming the tires were manufactured the year the bike was made... which they probably weren't. Check to date code on them, wearing out a tire with regards to how much tread it visibly has does not tell the whole story. You are compromising the hold they have in the rain, and any day its slightly chillier just to start due to the hardness of the rubber.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm also in Virginia and know what FZ6's sell for here. Brand new that bike sold for $6,000-$6,500 base price plus dealer fees so you are getting a bike with only 11K miles at half of what it cost new, that's not a bad deal for a bike that is barely 25% through it's useful life!

Try adjusting the clutch lever so that the friction zone is closer to the bar. I found that this really helped me smooth out the clutch release since you have more control of the friction zone closer to the bar. Secondly you need to lubricate the clutch cable. Makes a huge difference especially if it's not been done before. I use synthetic motor oil to lube mine, applied down the cable sheath with a long syringe, works great. I do this about 2X per year or whenever the cable starts to feel less than smooth. You can lubricate the 2 throttle cables sheaths the same way. :thumbup:

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You should realllllly consider putting new tires on that, those are at least 7 years old now and that's assuming the tires were manufactured the year the bike was made... which they probably weren't. Check to date code on them, wearing out a tire with regards to how much tread it visibly has does not tell the whole story. You are compromising the hold they have in the rain, and any day its slightly chillier just to start due to the hardness of the rubber.
I know the deal, and the risks I'm facing. I've been looking at tires, I'll buy them soon.

I've already been educated in one of the tire thres haha, I'm trying to get some PR2s or PR3s on it.

I've been SUPER easy on them, especially when they're cold

IMPY03

Reaction score
Visit site
Pictures!! I got all the paper work out of the way and got to ride her home yesterday and snapped a few quick pics.

2014-03-15_17-04-14_782.jpg

2014-03-15_17-04-04_622.jpg

Stock....for now Blah

JayyVee

IT Overlord
Reaction score
Visit site
Pictures!! I got all the paper work out of the way and got to ride her home yesterday and snapped a few quick pics.

2014-03-15_17-04-14_782.jpg

2014-03-15_17-04-04_622.jpg

Stock....for now Blah

Congrats on the bike! Nothing wrong with stock - that means 'you' get to be the one who 'personalizes' it!

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on the bike! Nothing wrong with stock - that means 'you' get to be the one who 'personalizes' it!
You say that...but I sure wish I could have got the FZ I saw a month after buying mine that only had 2000 more miles on it, had the two main (expensive mods) I wanted done: HIDs and exhaust, all for $600 less. It's all good though, I'll probably stick with stock until a bulb goes then I'll do the HIDs myself! I don't NEED an exhaust, just wouldn't turn one away if it was already one and paid for, ya know?

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site

Stock....for now Blah

:welcome: and nice bike!

The clutch has a narrow range of engagement. Generally you want it adjusted to begin engaging from half-way out. Aligning the levers with the top of your hands will help w/ control.

If the cable pull just feels notchy I'd recommend using light oil to lube it. If nothing helps a new OEM cable is only about $20.

jnappier

Reaction score
Visit site
Congratulations! You have made a great choice. I have owned many bikes and the FZ6 is one of my favorites. Such a great all around bike, easy to work on and Cheap insurance. Some day another bike will catch your eye and you will sale the FZ6. I promise you will miss it. Drive safe, watch out for the idiots and enjoy.

IMPY03

Reaction score
Visit site
You say that...but I sure wish I could have got the FZ I saw a month after buying mine that only had 2000 more miles on it, had the two main (expensive mods) I wanted done: HIDs and exhaust, all for $600 less. It's all good though, I'll probably stick with stock until a bulb goes then I'll do the HIDs myself! I don't NEED an exhaust, just wouldn't turn one away if it was already one and paid for, ya know?

Yeah i know what you mean, I wish i could have got a few extras with the bike but oh well. I think i will be doing the stock exhaust mod and i already have frame sliders and a puig smoked out wind screen ordered! Lol

:welcome: and nice bike!

The clutch has a narrow range of engagement. Generally you want it adjusted to begin engaging from half-way out. Aligning the levers with the top of your hands will help w/ control.

If the cable pull just feels notchy I'd recommend using light oil to lube it. If nothing helps a new OEM cable is only about $20.

The cable itself still feels pretty smooth. after some more riding I ended up getting a little better feel for the friction zone but I still need to adjust it as you suggested.

Thanks for all the help fellas! This is an awsome forum!

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2