FZ6 not priming (fuel system)

SamuraiMark

n00b++
Reaction score
Visit site
All,

[Old thread: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/55498-trouble-starting.html]

Had some trouble starting the bike over the past few weeks. On two separate occasions I was nearly stranded at work when the bike would not start. At least not initially. The first time around it took about 5 - 10 minutes of random attempts to start before the bike finally started up. The second time took >45 minutes and I nearly killed my battery in the process.

Charging system is fine, the battery is fully charged and retains a charge. The ignition system is otherwise fine. I have started the bike dozens of times in the interim and, except for those two incidents, it starts up immediately.

The last few times starting the bike I've noticed that I do not hear the "priming" sound when I turn the kill switch to "on". Neither my Haynes manual or my Service Manuals are helping me out much in addressing this. The fuel pump obviously works great ... I just came back from a 90 minute ride. It appears this is specifically the action of priming that is failing.

Any pointers are appreciated. I'm no mechanic but I can manage basic testing.

- Mark