FZ6 or Ducati Monster 696/796

Aha

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm thinking of selling my FZ6 S2 for the Ducati 696/796. I've not ridden any Ducati bike & I like the look of the Monster. Have any people here ridden one that can advise me? I'm using the bike mainly for commuting & short trip. Thanks for your advice.

bane

Boss
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm thinking of selling my FZ6 S2 for the Ducati 696/796. I've not ridden any Ducati bike & I like the look of the Monster. Have any people here ridden one that can advise me? I'm using the bike mainly for commuting & short trip. Thanks for your advice.

i`ve just place deposit for Hypermotard 796 as my second bike :ban:, FZ will live with me till my retirement :thumbup: as one of the best ever. Here where I live maintenance cost for Duc are much expensive if you compare it to Yamaha, I would personally reconsider trade for Monster.

I`ve ridden only Hypermotard which is insanely great :cheer: and Multistrada 1200S "perfetamente :)" but too expensive , but am sure that you will find here many of them who have experience with this model.

Philippe1985

Reaction score
Visit site
I had both. The ducati is good looking and it really sounds nice, even with the stock exhaust. But for commuting you will hate it. The ducati needs to be ridden fast. If you don't it constantly will struggle. It has indeed more power on low rpm. But if you don't keep the rpm's above 3000, then it just only shakes. This is really not good for the confidence on lower speeds. I think the ducati is for people who don't really care about traffic rules. It is for people that want to go fast. The fz6 is one of the easiest bikes to ride, keep that in mind. It will never surprise you, but that also means that it is a boring bike. And that is the reason a lot of people do want something else after some time. But please first do a test ride in the conditions that you will use the bike. And not for just 5 minutes.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i've been thinking about getting a ducati as a second bike, but it wouldn't be used for commuting.

not sure if you currently use any luggage, but it may be harder to get something for the monster if you need it (and it would probably ruin the looks). I thinkt he 696 has a wet clutch which shouldn't be too bad.

Servicing on new ducati's is less frequent than older ones and shouldn't be too bad. The monster might be ok for commuting, but it depends what you're ride is like. If it gives you a bigger grin factor then it may be worth it.

Don't forget to get a decent set of pipes though to let the sweet v-twin ducati music out :rockon:

Design

Reaction score
Visit site
The fz6 is one of the easiest bikes to ride, keep that in mind. It will never surprise you, but that also means that it is a boring bike.
Really? :rolleyes:
maybe it's time to drive it over 8000 rpm, then reconsider... in my experience no 696/796 can keep the pace.
besides, the little monsters are ok for commuting, really good looking and the reliability is getting better and better.
+1 for a serious test ride

Aha

Reaction score
Visit site
I ride to work everyday. In my city the traffic is quite bad so I have to start & stop often. So far I have no problem with the FZ6 in the traffic. My concern is if the Ducati has higher torque @ low rpm and air- cooled engine that might give me harder time in the traffic than the FZ6. I think I need to test drive the Ducati before making the decision. Thanks all for your advice.

Sent from my GS2 using Tapatalk