FZ6 S2 2008 EU version. ABS issue

mkosmas

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I owned an FZ6 some years ago and now my wife and i are thinking of buying one again. I found a 2008 S2 model online with 36000km for a great price.
I called the owner and he said that the only issue with the bike is the ABS. According to his mechanic, its a false alarm by the electronics of the bike. I don't really know if I believe this or not and will surely take the bike to my mechanic for a check before buying.

I will go check the bike in person in 2 days and i would like to hear, based on your experience, what I should check or what could be causing this ABS issue. My knoeledge is limited and the only think i can think of checking is if the rear breaks pedal fully returns in position when used. Your input will be highly appreciated.

bigborer

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
One thing I can promise you- if it were something simple to fix such as swapping the ABS ECU or wheel sensor with a used and working item (40-100€)... they would have done it already. I'd bet you 100€ that they've already tried every simple thing you could ever think of before saying "I'm done with this ****, I'll just sell the bike".

As a rule of thumb, unless you're getting a very rare model, or are interested in learning mechanics or electronics, buying something broken almost always ends up much more expensive (not to mention the time and energy spent) than buying something fully operational. I've heard countless stories of people buying vehicles with "minor thing needed" such as "it sound a little funny because it only needs new oil" (ended up replacing the engine), "it only needs a connector soldered/a new bulb" (ended up replacing half the electronics), "it only needs the forks/wheels straightened, they were mounted in a hurry when the tire was replaces"/"it only needs a new front tire" (ended up discovering that the entire front end was crashed and straightened, unrepairable, bike ended up parted and sold), and so on.

Do not waste your money, time or energy with this.

Now, of course, if they sell it for say 1000€, and the usual price is 2000€, and you're sure that you'll get at least 1500€ if you parted the bike... it's worth making a gamble. If it's only 200-500€ cheaper than the average (working) ones, it would be a stupid gamble. If it's at average price or more... it'd be insane to buy it.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If it can't be repaired why not convert it to a non-ABS bike?

That or leave it if everything functions.

All US bikes are non ABS and the systems simply have a hydraulic line from the master to the brake caliper.
Maybe 1.5 hours with bleeding..

I have no idea if the ABS light would stay on if you performed the above.

*I had the option in 2004 when ordering my FJR for ABS or not. I choose NO.
Just one more thing to break over time.
and am not a newbie (more likely to need it than an experienced rider).

Last edited:

bigborer

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That or leave it if everything functions.

Wouldn't do that. Had some ABS issues on my car after a (drunk) "lady" crashed me and believe me, having random ABS issues, such as the abs pump staying open and having the brake pedal fully pressed with little effect is NO fun.

You could probably convert it to non ABS but if I remember correctly the ABS sensor is also the speedometer sensor, so who knows what other surprises are awaiting concerning the electronics.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Wouldn't do that. Had some ABS issues on my car after a (drunk) "lady" crashed me and believe me, having random ABS issues, such as the abs pump staying open and having the brake pedal fully pressed with little effect is NO fun.

You could probably convert it to non ABS but if I remember correctly the ABS sensor is also the speedometer sensor, so who knows what other surprises are awaiting concerning the electronics.

Then simply replace all lines, (pitch the ABS), with non ABS lines. There are NO electronics to stop the brakes from functioning.

The speedometer sensor should be the same as in the US models, in the rear of the engine, by the output shaft.

It'd be an opportune time to replace with all SS braided lines FOR a NON-ABS bike. About $100, better stopping as well...

Last edited:

PatsamanFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Then simply replace all lines, (pitch the ABS), with non ABS lines. There are NO electronics to stop the brakes from functioning.

The speedometer sensor should be the same as in the US models, in the rear of the engine, by the output shaft.

It'd be an opportune time to replace with all SS braided lines FOR a NON-ABS bike. About $100, better stopping as well...

Can you please tell me the length of the rear brake hose ? My ABS is stuck too and rear brake isn't working properly (have to press 2-3 times to fill with air so it brakes). I am looking to order a braided brake hose from Ali Express but I am not sure which length to choose... It should be one from 40cm, 50cm, 60cm, but I don't know which. Thank you :)