FZ6 S2 strange Vibrations

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was at a dyno this weekend. And the guy could not get a rpm reading between 7k and 12k. Not even with 2 sensors. That's the range where the vibrations are. he never had this problem before not even with 1 and 2 cylinders.

He recommended me to go back to the dealer. I expect it might be the GR fearings. That are resonating. I think this because a other FZ6 GT I rode had the same vibrations. So I'm now planning on removing the fairing and try again. It would be a shame if I can't use them anymore because I Love the looks. But I really wanna get rid of the vibrations.

I really hope you find out what's causing these vibrations Frank, good luck

Last edited:

Astennu

Reaction score
Visit site
I really hope you find out what's causing these vibrations Frank, good luck

Hi Martin :)

Y me to. I just spoke with the dealer and they are gonna install rubber dampers on all the mounting points. If that won't work we are gonna test without the fearing.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I know this may seem unrelated but the more RPM you pull the more power you put down which means there is more load on the drive train. **CHECK the rear wheel alignment ** and adjust it with a one of the many tools available or string align as shown here. Perhaps those vibes are not all about the engines tune itself?

http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/40463-how-string-align-your-rear-wheel.html

Beyond that, yes, loosen all the engine mounts and fire it up. Re-torque the mounting bolts. I would do the same thing with the exhaust. Everywhere it contact the frame.

PS - the OEM exhaust under the seat is isolated in rubber for vibes and expansion of the pipes as they heat. Does your exhaust mount in rubber? if not, it could be the engine vibes are being transmitted into the chassis through the exhaust mounts. Unbolt the tail section and see how well the bolts align to get the tail section back in. If you have to force anything, then adjust it until nothing is bound up. Does that make sense?

ste

Surfing the ethernet
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the stock exhaust in my garage. So thats no problem. But it want it to work with the laser. They where not cheap. And i really like the looks.
if the bike was brand new
its worth noting that engine needs to be broken in
but my advice is go to garage where u got it, as it should still be under waranty
plus yamahas extended waranty for new owners

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If the exhaust mounting does not solve this, have them do an injector balance test. It's not all that scientific, but you raise the RPMs and disconnect an injector and look for which cylinder(s) is doing all the work.

Some use vacuum drop and RPM to determine efficiency of a cylinder and others look at O2 samples. But an injector balance test could very likely support your case about it having unwanted vibes at various RPMs. look into it or pull the injectors and have them tested.

Astennu

Reaction score
Visit site
I thought the FZ6 S2 version stopped production in 2009 and the FZ6R was the 2010 model?

Y its a 2009. But i bought it half way 2010. I changed the Garage :)

I know this may seem unrelated but the more RPM you pull the more power you put down which means there is more load on the drive train. **CHECK the rear wheel alignment ** and adjust it with a one of the many tools available or string align as shown here. Perhaps those vibes are not all about the engines tune itself?

http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/40463-how-string-align-your-rear-wheel.html

Beyond that, yes, loosen all the engine mounts and fire it up. Re-torque the mounting bolts. I would do the same thing with the exhaust. Everywhere it contact the frame.

PS - the OEM exhaust under the seat is isolated in rubber for vibes and expansion of the pipes as they heat. Does your exhaust mount in rubber? if not, it could be the engine vibes are being transmitted into the chassis through the exhaust mounts. Unbolt the tail section and see how well the bolts align to get the tail section back in. If you have to force anything, then adjust it until nothing is bound up. Does that make sense?

I will look into it. But i had this problem since day 1.
I also rode a Stock 2009 S2 GT. And it had the same problems only 300 RPM later in the RPM range. And i cannot imagine all S2's have that problem. Since the GT has the same Fairings as i do. It seems like a real possibility that they are causing all the problems.

And last time i checked the marks on the chain where in the center. And the vibrations are also there when you just rev up the engine when you are not riding. But i will keep it in mind.

if the bike was brand new
its worth noting that engine needs to be broken in
but my advice is go to garage where u got it, as it should still be under waranty
plus yamahas extended waranty for new owners

It was brand new i now got 10.500 km on it and its still here. Its not the exhaust. I rode a Stock 2009 S2 GT that also had the problem with the stock exhaust.

I will ask them if i can try a normal S2 non GT to see how that fares in the 7k-12k rpm range.

If the exhaust mounting does not solve this, have them do an injector balance test. It's not all that scientific, but you raise the RPMs and disconnect an injector and look for which cylinder(s) is doing all the work.

Some use vacuum drop and RPM to determine efficiency of a cylinder and others look at O2 samples. But an injector balance test could very likely support your case about it having unwanted vibes at various RPMs. look into it or pull the injectors and have them tested.

Or make them send it to Yamaha NL to have some experts look at it. But first i want to test with extra dampers and without the fairing.
Its from 7k up to 12K rpm. After that up to 14K its quite ok.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I will look into it. But i had this problem since day 1.
I also rode a Stock 2009 S2 GT. And it had the same problems only 300 RPM later in the RPM range. And i cannot imagine all S2's have that problem. Since the GT has the same Fairings as i do. It seems like a real possibility that they are causing all the problems.
Just putting ideas down as it hasn't been solved in all this time. The power balance test will show faults if they exist.

And last time i checked the marks on the chain where in the center. And the vibrations are also there when you just rev up the engine when you are not riding. But i will keep it in mind.

Line being centered doesn't mean jack as half the width of the line MATTERS!!! but I doubt that's going to solve this one completely. . . however it may help it.

Astennu

Reaction score
Visit site
Just putting ideas down as it hasn't been solved in all this time. The power balance test will show faults if they exist.

Line being centered doesn't mean jack as half the width of the line MATTERS!!! but I doubt that's going to solve this one completely. . . however it may help it.

I do appreciate it. I'm just trying to supply all things I know. is not solved because I thought it was working as intended but not being able to dyno proofed me wrong.

Don't they.align it when they install new tyres? They just installed new ones. It still vibrates as much as before. And I will check the width of the line. Thanks

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I do appreciate it. I'm just trying to supply all things I know. is not solved because I thought it was working as intended but not being able to dyno proofed me wrong.

Don't they.align it when they install new tyres? They just installed new ones. It still vibrates as much as before. And I will check the width of the line. Thanks

There is no need to adjust it unless you reported a problem like it not tracking right. I'm just saying most shops will simply put it back and if it was off before it will be off when done.

The path with the power balance is that a bad injector or a ground to the injector or the ECM not putting out the proper signal could have been there since new.

Personally I don't static rev my bike to high RPMs and hold there so I couldn't tell you if it had a vibration @12 - 13k. At 12k its pretty darn busy below me and going through the gears and I don't feel any crazy vibes on mine.
I suppose you could have found the lemons that has some mechanical balance defect but overall I'd place money on the electronics as the cause before the a mechanical fault but only because you say it does in neutral.

So until you change something or verify what it isn't I'm out. Did you ever loosen the engine mounts or loosen the exhaust to try let anything align?
Good luck. . .

Astennu

Reaction score
Visit site
There is no need to adjust it unless you reported a problem like it not tracking right. I'm just saying most shops will simply put it back and if it was off before it will be off when done.

The path with the power balance is that a bad injector or a ground to the injector or the ECM not putting out the proper signal could have been there since new.

Personally I don't static rev my bike to high RPMs and hold there so I couldn't tell you if it had a vibration @12 - 13k. At 12k its pretty darn busy below me and going through the gears and I don't feel any crazy vibes on mine.
I suppose you could have found the lemons that has some mechanical balance defect but overall I'd place money on the electronics as the cause before the a mechanical fault but only because you say it does in neutral.

So until you change something or verify what it isn't I'm out. Did you ever loosen the engine mounts or loosen the exhaust to try let anything align?
Good luck. . .

Thanks for the tips. I will consult with them to do a test without the fairing. If the vibes are still there i will ask them to check all things you named above.

I dont do any maintenance my self. So i did not loosen anything. I only did some mods like the headlights and the indicators.

I just spoke with the dealer. They checked the injectors last maintenance. They need to recalibrate them at each interval from what i understand.

And they want to install the dampers first. they dont need to remove the fairing for that. If that does not work i will remove it myself :)

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the tips. I will consult with them to do a test without the fairing. If the vibes are still there i will ask them to check all things you named above.

I dont do any maintenance my self. So i did not loosen anything. I only did some mods like the headlights and the indicators.

I just spoke with the dealer. They checked the injectors last maintenance. They need to recalibrate them at each interval from what i understand.

And they want to install the dampers first. they dont need to remove the fairing for that. If that does not work i will remove it myself :)

Never heard of anyone ever paying for injector calibration at bike shop. If that is what they really said, you might opt for a new shop.

To do anything with an injector it needs to be removed. With that you can:
leak test
flow test
pattern test
duty cycle testing to determine if they all match. Example if fed a 50% duty cycle they should all spray the same volume in the same amount of time.

At basic level, the power balance test can help determine if they should be looking at the injectors at all. Does that make sense?

dz0

Reaction score
Visit site
i have similar problems on my '06 FZ. When you do get this resolved, will you please post your resolution. My vibration at 7K RPM doesn't seem as bad as yours, but it's a lot more buzzy than I think it should be.
I have a small pile of other issues that I need to address as well. So I'm not to the point of focusing on what I consider "fine tuning". :)

Astennu

Reaction score
Visit site
Never heard of anyone ever paying for injector calibration at bike shop. If that is what they really said, you might opt for a new shop.

To do anything with an injector it needs to be removed. With that you can:
leak test
flow test
pattern test
duty cycle testing to determine if they all match. Example if fed a 50% duty cycle they should all spray the same volume in the same amount of time.

At basic level, the power balance test can help determine if they should be looking at the injectors at all. Does that make sense?

I did not have to pay extra for the calibration. They alway check it when it comes in for service.

I dont know i dont have enough knowledge about that stuff.

i have similar problems on my '06 FZ. When you do get this resolved, will you please post your resolution. My vibration at 7K RPM doesn't seem as bad as yours, but it's a lot more buzzy than I think it should be.
I have a small pile of other issues that I need to address as well. So I'm not to the point of focusing on what I consider "fine tuning". :)

When do your vibrations start? when do they end? And how is the vision in your mirrors when you have the vibration? And do you have the GT Fairing? Or is it a FZ6N?

The bike has bin at the dealer. They installed rubber strips between the top fairing and the bottom GT fairing. It reduced the vibration range quite a bit but its not gone. It now starts at 6k5 and end at 9k at 9k i have good vision in the mirrors again. Before the mod it was more like 11K.

But its still not gone. I want to test a Non GT S2 or maybe even a FZ6N to experience the difference. To make sure I remember my old bike correctly. As far as I know It never vibrated so hard that I could not see clearly trough my mirrors.

Astennu

Reaction score
Visit site
try throwing the DB killers in and see if that helps:confused:

That wont be easy. I need to take the exhaust apart and remove the Givi mount and thats a pain in the ass to reinstall.

And i did not install the exhaust myself. I dont do a lot of that stuff.

But i dont think thats the problem. Because a other S2 GT had the same problems only a other rev range. And when the vibrations are the worst i dont feel vibrations in the most outer exhaust pipe. But i do feel them at the front. The frame, The tank and the handlebars are all vibrating.