FZ6 seating position

FreeFloatingCloud

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

I'm not entirely sure where on the seat I should be sitting... I'm not a big guy at 5'9 <70kg and the seat seems well... quite large front to back. I haven't ridden with a pillion on the FZ yet but I can imagine them almost falling off the seat forward and slipping into the crevice behind me.

When I got the bike I sat up front in the most upright position, balls to the tank so to speak. Bike feels pretty good and stable this way, except for my left knee touching the frame.
I've played around shifting my butt backwards on the seat a bit increasing upper body lean towards the bars and moving the knees back a little and can't decide if I like it more. It might prevent the aforementioned hypothetical pillion issue.

Anyone else have similar issues or any advice? To me the seating position on a well designed bike should be obvious, like settling in to a groove, so it's concerning me (perhaps a bit more than it should) that I can't seem to figure it out.

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
For easy going riding, sitting with an inch or so between your balls and the tank is preferable and generally more comfortable. My knees used to often touch a bit of the frame too, depending on how I sat - seems to be the way it goes.

Pillion in this case should be holding onto the rails along the back, and pressing down into the pegs with their feet if need be. If it comes to it, under hard braking (or where you expect braking), see if the pillion can lean forward and put their hand on the gas tank to brace themselves and keep the weight off you. Probably won't need to resort to that, but it makes even travel on my Daytona relatively comfortable 2up.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I dare say, sit where your the most comfortable. Sitting way back may be comfy but the extra weight on your arms, wrists may be too much (from leaning forward).

I personally, sit just back from the tank. To press the "boyz" up against the tank, ah no, not comfy...

Squeezing the fuel tank with your knees/legs, also helps to feel as part of the bike (not always) and help control it
should something unexpected arise while riding on the road..

I don't particularly want the pillion to be hanging on with the grab rails.. The rails are located low and pretty much behind
the passenger, really, about useless... Heck, accelerating hard with them just hanging on to the rails, someones getting road rash...

I don't have much (if any) room to slide back.

You really want the pillion rider to sit on their part of the seat. If their leaning up against you 100% of the time, that will get old and
uncomfortable very quickly. I prefer my pillion to hold their hands around me (always) , should I have to make a quick maneuver and
their not watching. I do prefer they try to pay attention to road as well vs JUST sight seeing