fz6 tool kit - New FZ6 Owner

Ital

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello All,
Just picked up a 2008 Blue Fz6 with 400 miles. It looks like it was sold new in 2013, unfortunately it is not in show room condition, the Tank is a bit scratch which looks like straps\tie down did it. Someone must been careless :/. Anyway I've put about 300 miles on it, but for some reason it idles a little bit rough. I've put some fuel injector cleaner in there for now since I figure it might be because of bad gas. I also would like to install iridium spark plugs and see if that helps. However I do not have the tool kit and I did find one from a 2006 fz6 online that I could buy. I think it would work with my 2008 but I am not 100% sure, so I was hoping someone can confirm.

Thank you

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, that tool kit would work fine.

IMO, pull the fuel tank and dump ALL the fuel in it... Good fuel added to bad fuel = BAD FUEL..

You also want to inspect the inside of the tank for rust. If it is rusty, your going to have to address that.

And welcome to the forum!

Ital

Reaction score
Visit site
I think the Rough idling issue is getting better. If it does not go away by next gas tank I will remove the gas tank and dump the gas out. Thanks!!!

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The stock tool kit for the FZ6 is actually super helpful (Especially the angled spark plug removal tool, which is basically required). If you don't have it, definitely pick one up.

If you can't, the two bits you really need are the c-spanner for the shock and the spark plug tool.

Ital

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, the main reason why I want the tool kit is so that I can do the spark plugs. I called my local Yamaha dealer to see if they could sale me the spark plug tool only but they said they could not. I also asked for the FZ6 tool kit but they said that Yamaha made a general tool kit which they would have to order for me. I will pick up a used one. It seems skooter65 is going to hook me up with a used one :) (Y)
BTW the dealer quoted me 2 hours labor to do the spark plugs... lol

Thanks

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
is it hard to lower the radiator? any videos on this or DIY? Thank you so much!!
I do not want to drain the radiator or any coolant for sure :)

There's two small hoses on the right side to the radiator, they have to come off(you'll loose maybe a half cup of coolant).
IMPORTANT, mark which hose goes up and which down.

There's a bolt at the top of the radiator and one at the bottom. Accessible from the LEFT SIDE(10 mm socket) of the bike.

The radiator slides over maybe 1" and will drop..The large hoses pretty much supports it BUT PUT A RAG over the lower support bracket
so it doesn't damage the radiator.

Reverse to install and top off the coolant tank (just behind the header).

You'll have WAY more room to work...

Have fun!

PM sent

Last edited: