fz6 turbo

sad1975

Reaction score
Visit site
i am thinking putting a turbo on my fz6. has eneyone on the fotum did this. just looking for some opinion or some info.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, 2 ways you can do this, if it's possible...
1: toss a turbo on it, drive it 1 day blow your engine, be searching CL for a new bike
2: do it the right way and upgrade your inner engine parts before you attempt the turbo

Yamaha makes there engines certified to be able to hand a certain amount of stress. By forcing more air into the engine to create more violent explosions, you are creating more stress/heat. So, typically when one tries to put a turbo on something they upgrade the inner workings first so that the engine can take the stress without doing damage. also you may have to look into a better cooling system... more heat means more expansion, and on liquid cooled engine the tolerances are already very fine on these bikes...

All of this of course, costs money, it isn't cheap.

That being said i think the FZ has plenty enough arse for me lol

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, 2 ways you can do this, if it's possible...
1: toss a turbo on it, drive it 1 day blow your engine, be searching CL for a new bike
2: do it the right way and upgrade your inner engine parts before you attempt the turbo

Yamaha makes there engines certified to be able to hand a certain amount of stress. By forcing more air into the engine to create more violent explosions, you are creating more stress/heat. So, typically when one tries to put a turbo on something they upgrade the inner workings first so that the engine can take the stress without doing damage. also you may have to look into a better cooling system... more heat means more expansion, and on liquid cooled engine the tolerances are already very fine on these bikes...

All of this of course, costs money, it isn't cheap.

That being said i think the FZ has plenty enough arse for me lol

True, but there have been quite a few people that have turbo'ed R6's, and our FZ's use de-tuned R6 engines(via cams and ECU), so it's probably not all that difficult. Expensive? Oh yes, very much so! lol I'll bet you wouldn't even have to upgrade the internals on these engines. For the money, it'd probably be cheaper to just slap on an R6 top end, and get an R6 ECU to get a good bump in power. Then turbo it. Ok, so forget the money, and call it more fun. :D

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes it has been done. One of our members from San Antonio did it a year or two ago. He created a thread for it.