Fz6 Yamaha "Comfort Seat"

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well just like the title says, i purchased one off a forum member for a deal at 150 shipped to my door(much cheaper than dealer and ebay).

I owned the Fz6 in feb of 2012 and put about 3k miles in just about a month, all of which my butt was numb for. So like all of us searched for a way to make it feel better.

Choice ended up being:

Top Saddlery $450 ish range - didn't want to find out for this price if its worth it

Corbin $450 ish range- also did not want to find out if it was worth it for this price - and did not like the lines from the companies customization (just me im ocd)

Cut it my self and add to it (was Very much considering this)- well lats face it who wants to do work when you can buy it pre-done.

Comfort Seat- used and fair price (might as well)

So i ended up doing the comfort seat for price and was scared to tear my seat when stapling it back.

Well its been another 5-6k miles and WOW has it broken in, at first i was like man what a waste of money but then it would warm up about 25minutes into my 45min commute and id be satisfied, but sometimes it would be cold and i would be numb again figured its my sitting position.

So to adjust that i replaced my fz6 handle bars with a set of fz1 love the new lean just enough but not to much.

With all this now done i can truly say i love the comfort seat its the happy medium not to much money and just enough comfortably.

If i was doing longer rides that took more than 4 hours a day id probably invest in a top saddlery seat though, but the biggest thing is that you have to wear in the "comfort seat" or its just not comfortable.

Hope this review helps people who are on the fence.:rockon:

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
I did the same as you a bought the comfort seat and used a sheepskin on top for my week and a half trip. By the time I finished I thought I was going to need surgery to fix my tail bone. Also the seat rolls you forward so your riding on your junk. It's fine for short rides but more than a couple of hours your better buying a TS seat.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Another inexpensive option to the list is to have Spencer's seat mod done to the stock seat. I can tell you it is very much worth the effort and not really that much $, all things considered

Page 1

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
Another inexpensive option to the list is to have Spencer's seat mod done to the stock seat. I can tell you it is very much worth the effort and not really that much $, all things considered

Page 1

I had Spencer do a seat for me on a KLR and it was better than stock but my ass was still sore after a couple of hours. Maybe the FZ6 would have a better outcome. Can he add material to the front of the seat to level out the seating position?

nixter

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been thinking about getting a different seat other than my stock one. The place I find that gets hot and uncomfortable is the very insides of your left and right creases between the legs and butt. There's a bony spot there that starts aggravating me around the 45min mark. Do you think the comfort or other seat will address this particular soreness?

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I felt like the comfort seat addresses that issue but it prolongs it didn't cure it, I can ride about 2-3 hours easy but at first the seat sucked once I broke it in it was great first two weeks sucked :(

nixter

Reaction score
Visit site
So my trip is going to be 4 days with a total of 5 hours of riding per day or less. Lots of rests. I've kinda spent all the money on gear that I want to so I'm hoping the stock seat will be ok. What do you guys think? Am I crazy?

One option is my buddy has some gel seat inserts that I might try out. It's just the leg/butt crease area that I need to sort out.

PFD023

Reaction score
Visit site
after alot of research I went ahead and bought an Air Hawk Small (not the airhawk 2).
Frickin love it.......no more 1hr rides and need a break.
Negative is that around town you do tend to move forward under hard breaking.....but on the highway.....bliss.
Cost me $175 to get it to my door from the US to Canada.....much cheaper than a TS or Corbin.....60 day money back guarantee.....and if I sell the bike I keep the air hawk.
Any questions pm me....more than happy to help.

nixter

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah one of my co-riders on this trip just bought one. However he's riding an Aprilia RSV4 which was like riding a park bench. A REALLY fast park bench.

Last edited:

Hobbesca

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just got the comfort seat myself, haven't been on any really long rides work has been a little hectic as of late. Here is my take on it:

Style - I like the look of it better than the stock seat

Comfort - Seems a little better based on my recent few rides, but maybe it is become I am little on the short side but i seem to slide forward more. Almost like it has a slope to it where the stock one is flatter.

Price - well buying from Yamaha isn't to bad but i picked mine up from Ebay and it was pretty much brand new for 75 dollars.

As for modding the stock seat, this is my second FZ6 and I modded the seat on my other bike. Pretty straight forward and any standard heavy duty stapler will secure the cover. I currently have my comfort seat sitting on my table deciding if i should tear apart and see if I can flatten it out a little. Not sure if I like the sliding forward feeling.

My thoughts on the comfort seat, seems ok but the Top Saddlery seat kinda seems like the way to go if you have cash.

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got the comfort seat myself, haven't been on any really long rides work has been a little hectic as of late. Here is my take on it:

Style - I like the look of it better than the stock seat

Comfort - Seems a little better based on my recent few rides, but maybe it is become I am little on the short side but i seem to slide forward more. Almost like it has a slope to it where the stock one is flatter.

Price - well buying from Yamaha isn't to bad but i picked mine up from Ebay and it was pretty much brand new for 75 dollars.

As for modding the stock seat, this is my second FZ6 and I modded the seat on my other bike. Pretty straight forward and any standard heavy duty stapler will secure the cover. I currently have my comfort seat sitting on my table deciding if i should tear apart and see if I can flatten it out a little. Not sure if I like the sliding forward feeling.

My thoughts on the comfort seat, seems ok but the Top Saddlery seat kinda seems like the way to go if you have cash.

I have a TP seat for sale. Give me your comfort seat plus $250 and it's all yours and yes it's the most comfortable seat you can by for the FZ6.

TSRBrad

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a Yamaha Comfort Seat and I hated it. Much worse than stock (for me).

I sent my seat off to get "Spencered" and absolutely loved it... for what it costs, the improvement was huge and only got better as it broke in. It was also the first mod I did on the new FJR.