gearbox problem

spectraman101

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys. I was wondering if you could help me with a problem i discovered on my 02 600. I recently got the bike so here's where i am with it so far. I went to view it before the cash was handed over, i noticed a lot of play in the chain and the sprockets looked a bit worn. I normally like to change the chain and sprocket set up when ever i get another bike so i thought, no problem, i can order the new stuff when i get home.So cash was exchanged and off i went. The chain was making a bit of noise on the way home so i thought nothing of it at the time. I got the new stuff after waiting a week for the delivery. All went well with the installation etc so i took her out for a test run. THE DAM NOISE WAS STILL THERE AARRRGHHH!!!! So I jacked her back up again, put it in gear so i could have a listen. But i notice the chain was hopping around between the sprockets. So stripped it back down, even to the point of removing the front sprocket. I started her back up and that was when i noticed the noise was coming from the gearbox. Its almost sounds as if the gearbox has a drag spot and its not flowing freely... Any suggestions guys? :confused:

Last edited:
Spec, this isn't the correct forum for your bike but welcome just the same. One of the mods might move your thread so follow the link should that happen.

These gear boxes are not exactly quite and with no load may in fact make a tad more noise than with a slight load. The downside is it adds back chain noise.

Have you drained the oil? If not I would do so and give it time to settle in a clean pan. Then poor the oil into a clear container leaving a good film in the pan. Now inspect the pan for metal shavings. You might also cut open the oil filter and inspect it debris. Use the search function, there is a thread on this and a how too.

Any chance you can post a video? Also there is a thread on a noisy box induced by some kind accidental double gear engagement... It has videos in it you might want to listen to and see if its as bad or worse than yours.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/48071-broken-my-gears.html

http://www.600riders.com/forum/gara...-you-preach-cutting-open-your-oil-filter.html

Listen to the vids or make your own and report back!

Thanks for that. I'll be taking the engine out tomorrow and have a ganders then. ps. i'll sign up in the proper forum next time lol :thumbup:

Thanks for that. I'll be taking the engine out tomorrow and have a ganders then. ps. i'll sign up in the proper forum next time lol :thumbup:

PS - there a plenty here that don't own a 04 - 09 FZ6. Its not uncommon.

So is this noise there in all gears at all speeds? Does the box shift OK and stay in gear while coasting, accelerating, and cruising? Are there any other driveability complaints other than noise? And how does the clutch work?

I'm just thinking once you pull it, you want to correct all things not just a noise. And fine slivers of material in the sump could indicate a shift issue like the shift rail lock-outs are not keeping the gears centered and out of contact so this would show as fine metal particles in the sump.

See if you can post a video of it making this sound, it will help immensely.

Back