getting 06 FZ6n!!

lionjk84

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys!

I'm so excited that i will be the proud owner of FZ6n tomorrw!!

getting it from private seller and just done 10000kays on it.

planing to change engine oil right after i ride it home.

it's first time getting used bike, is there MUST thing i need to do?

or should i just give it to mechanic to check everything is good to run?

can't seem to spot good mechanic around sydney area:(:(

Congrats!
Generally its a good idea to get someone with knowledge of motorcycles to look it over if its a private sale before you hand over your money.
Probably also an idea to make sure you get the master key (it should be red) and the log/warranty books.
Also get it checked to make sure its not stolen/has money owing.

Other than that if your not going to get an expert to check it, you can look at a few things yourself:
-Look for damage on the bike from a drop, minor damage may just be a drop at no speed, but long scrapes or major damage means at speed.
-Rust on the metals, particularly on the chain.
-Chain freeplay shouldn't be too loose. (If its really loose and rusted might need replacing which can be exp)
-Check the wear markers on the tyres, if they are really low you might need a new set straight off. (more $$$ wasted)
-If he has any non standard parts, ask for the originals to be thrown in.
-Ask if he followed the service intervals, or filled out the book if he did it himself.
-Ask if it has been in any accidents and needed major repairs, also make sure it hasn't been written off in another state.
-Take it for a test ride and make sure it feels and sounds good, make sure it changes gears properly, the clutch and all the brakes have grip (pads might need replacing if not, more $$$)

If your going to change the oil I'd recommend the Motul 7100, and probably a new filter. Really makes a difference for the running of the bike, and changing gears.

Theres probably other stuff but thats all I can think of :p

Oh also, I'd get a cover note for it from your insurer for the ride home if possible (can do it over the phone as soon as you purchase I beleive), it means if anything happens, even before actually paying the insurance you will be covered.

thanks guys!

where will be best place to get oils and filters?

offline or online?

had vespa for 2 years and now back to bike again.
insurance is bit to expensive for me being only 24..and never had it before.

Yea, it can be pricey, at the very least go for the third party property (probably about 198$) that way if you crash into someones 500,000 dollar ferrari your covered :D

For the oil/filter, I'd find a nearby dealer and get it from them, its always good to find a local dealer and get a good relationship going with them incase you need work done, they are less likely to rip you off that way! Also much faster than waiting for mail.

thanks guys!

where will be best place to get oils and filters?

offline or online?

had vespa for 2 years and now back to bike again.
insurance is bit to expensive for me being only 24..and never had it before.

Oil,,,, local bike shop, I suggest motul 5100, or 7100.

As for insurance, you are going to take it hard being so young, and without a rating.

howdy.

listen to the wolfman, as he is some sort of freak guru on fz6's.

where abouts in Sydney are you? I am at Fairfield..

nah.....i am just a freak! seriously though, i do know a little bout FZ6's, and if i can do anything to help, please dont hesitate to send me a PM....especially re modifications...i might of done a few!

:thumbup:

am so happy that finally we are getting a steady flow of new Aussie Fizzers in the forum....makes it way more interesting...

:rockon:

:welcome::cheer:. New south Wales is really taking off lately. Glad to see another on board.

Re. Insurance, even if you are young and have to pay more, I'd be getting comp if you can afford it. Just in case of an incident where the other party bails.(Happened to me).

Oh, and.....:needpics::D

Cheers
Mike

:welcome::cheer:. New south Wales is really taking off lately. Glad to see another on board.

Re. Insurance, even if you are young and have to pay more, I'd be getting comp if you can afford it. Just in case of an incident where the other party bails.(Happened to me).

Oh, and.....:needpics::D

Cheers
Mike

+1 on the pics

:needpics:

thanks for all warm welcoming guys!!

I got my bike now@!!:Flash:

I will start with change engine oil and filter, chain cleaning tomorrow.

I live in Campsie NSW and commute to Rose Bay 5 times a week.

which is 24km one way.

Had no insurance with my Vespa for last 3years.

But now with my FZ6n im thinking of get insurance done.

any suggestions on insurance company?

thanks for all warm welcoming guys!!

I got my bike now@!!:Flash:

I will start with change engine oil and filter, chain cleaning tomorrow.

I live in Campsie NSW and commute to Rose Bay 5 times a week.

which is 24km one way.

Had no insurance with my Vespa for last 3years.

But now with my FZ6n im thinking of get insurance done.

any suggestions on insurance company?

i am with Swan insurance, and pay a ridiculously low premium, considering my bike is insured for $18000 replacement value....but i do have age, and 15 years of no claim bonus up my sleeve...good luck with it....and full comprehensive is the best way to go IMHO...if you can afford it.

Swann is meant to be the best for us youngies, with QBE close behind, but better for older riders with a good record

Throw up some pics!

even tho I am with swann now (came with the bike in a good package deal)
I have heard some pretty bad reports of them.

Weeks to settle, weeks to approve, weeks to evaluate etc...
Solution, dont crash.

I would of preferred to have gone with QBE again, due to how nice they have been to me, but they wanted close to 1500, which I thought was crazy.

Ebike insurence, around December last year, quoted me (online) about $600 for the FZ6N, which I thought was fantastic. but seems a little too cheap tbh.

even tho I am with swann now (came with the bike in a good package deal)
I have heard some pretty bad reports of them.

Weeks to settle, weeks to approve, weeks to evaluate etc...
Solution, dont crash.

I would of preferred to have gone with QBE again, due to how nice they have been to me, but they wanted close to 1500, which I thought was crazy.

Ebike insurence, around December last year, quoted me (online) about $600 for the FZ6N, which I thought was fantastic. but seems a little too cheap tbh.

gee, i am doing ok then, paid $345 last year for a $9000 replacement value, "only" went up to $715 this year for $18000 replacement value, which is due to the fact that, that is how much the bike would cost me to replace if i wrote it off tomorrow, with al the mods i have added.

other good thing is that, if i do claim, with such a high replacement value, they are less likely to write the bike off, in the event of an accident.

which has to be a good thing, from where i look at it.

Back