Getting a BMW, Does This Make Me a Traitor?

Dr.Volts

Dr.Volts
Reaction score
Visit site
I just got a letter from an old friend who is cleaning his garage. He wants to give me a '75 BMW R-90/6 for free. It doesn't run, but I am a good mechanic and I have experience reviving outboards from the 1940's and '50's so I should be able to get it going assuming parts availability. It was running when parked in '85 with no storage done.

I think this bike would be a nice complement to the FZ6. If I want to ride in comfort for long distances it could be the ticket. It also could leave me stranded far from home. It's blue, so all my gear would match.

Now in addition to consuming a lot of time on the FZ6 forum, I can blow time looking at BMW forums.

So I guess that makes me a traitor, sort of...

Grats! :D

Nothing quite like a 'classic' in the garage for weekend runs to compliment a more modern bike!

Since it's free, we'll let it ride... this time... :p

Congrats, I'd like to have a BMW too! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Hey very cool bike.

I noticed you have a TX-500. Probably the only one left in existance! How does she run? I had a '73 TX that was my first bike. The electric start never work and I had to kick it over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and...well you get the point. I thought I was Kenny Roberts on that bike.

Free bike, technical tools in the brain and still keeping the FZ6? Traitor = NO!!! Adventurer = YES!!! Go for it!! Lucky bastid!!!

Hey Hellgate,

I bought the TX-500 new in 1976, it is a '74 and had two birthdays in the showroom. I had so much fun with it and went so many cool places. It runs now, but I don't have confidence in it past a local run. The top end leaks oil and it gets all over my left shoe after about 50 miles. I overheated it one time and although it still runs ok, it has a different sound. I am slowly accumulating the parts to do a top end and bearing job, but I haven't been able to find a head. The head is probably cracked. So now I ride it locally from time to time, but it isn't nearly as much fun as the FZ.

You are right, it is hard to start. If the battery isn't just up to charge it doesn't get enough spark to light off. If I kick it, it will start every time. One time on a curvy road at night I switched to high beam and both beams went off. I held my line and fiddled with the switch and one of the beams came back on. I love that bike but now I wish I had bought the 650, they are easier to find parts for. It is nice to have a kick starter, it's too bad bikes don't have them now. And the batteries are inaccessible to jump start.

Regarding the BMW, I think it might make a nice bike on which to bolt a sidecar.

Regards,

Volts

R90 are cool as hell.

It just makes you a motorcyclist I think.

Hah! Too funny! You took me back to when my wiring harness caught on wire a left me stuck on the side of the road. I heard more, "You should have bought a Harley!" comments yelled at me.

Ooh, you have a winner.

Rebuild the carbs. Rebuild the pet****s. Replace all the fuel lines. Put in a new battery. Change all four oils (engine, tranmission, driveshaft, final drive) and start it up!

Ride for a week, then see what's leaking. Fix the leaks and keep riding it.

You will need to make sure that you've got valve seats that can handle unleaded fuel.
Also, when you rebuild the carbs, replace the needles and seats. They wear over time and new ones will make a big difference.

wow This is one of my all time favorite bikes, If a knew some mechanics I'll take it.
regarding your question, I think you are not a traitor, I am sure everyone in this forum loves their fz6's but like something else to.

congratulations

Back