Girls Weekend

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
I did it! I got away with a lady rider friend for the weekend. We left Reno early Saturday morning (7:30am) and headed North into California.

We took Highway 70 to Quincy. We saw some smoke from a fire near there, but not bad.

Then we took highway 89 to Lake Almanor. It had a lot of water in it, which was nice to see since last time I was there it had a lot of exposed shoreline.

At Lake Almonor we headed west on Highway 36. This isn't the fun part, but it is scenic. Outside Shingletown we hit construction. We filtered to the front as I saw there was a pilot car. I hate following traffic in that situation. We waited 10 minutes for the pilor car (not bad considering they warned of 45 minute delays). 8.3 miles of dust, gravel, and mud. Not fun.

When we got to Red Bluff about noon it was HOT 100 degrees. We took off layers, gassed up and headed to the Holy Grail of roads Highway 36 from Red Bluff to Fortuna. So fun!!! We had a nice lunch stop at Mad River Burger Shack.

We got to our hotel in Eureka about 6pm. As we rode through town some friends of our were in town and saw us. We met up for dinner and beer at Lost Coast Brewery.

In the morning we got coffee at Black Lightning Motorcycle Cafe. Get place to stop when in Eureka. Then we headed East on Highway 299. The ongoing construction near Redding is almost done and actually a lot of fun. Fast sweeping corners, Reminds me of Spooner Summit (highway 50) outside of Carson City, NV, but not as steep.

After that a boring, but scenic ride home on Highway 44 to Susanville and then home. The hubby kept the animals alive and the house standing, so I guess it was a successful weekend. He has taken two 2-3 dirt bike rides with buddies and doing a 3-day backpacking trip with our son this weekend, so it was my turn. 3 weekends away to 1....doesn't seem fair, but life isn't fair, eh?

I'll post some pics soon. I'm off to work. Got pay for my habit....motorycling

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like a fun trip!

I need to do a ride soon. I've been such a slacker this year!

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like a fun trip!

I need to do a ride soon. I've been such a slacker this year!

It's so hard to find time. Seems like everything is conspiring against me (us). I have a week long Fall break from school since we start so early (August 1 this year) and I'm working on my hubby to do a 3-4 day ride together. But it's so hard. Gotta get someone to watch the dogs. One of our dogs pulled her ACL a few weeks ago and had knee replacement surgery. Non-weight baring for a few weeks - cone of shame - 3 different meds, 3 times a day. Makes it hard to find someone willing to do it all. Our son is a Senior at University and working, so he's busy. Our daughter is working 60-65 hours a week, so she's busy. I can't really complain. We did take a 7 day Alaskan cruise this summer, so we did get a vacation, but not the same as a nice long ride. Hopefully, we have a nice Fall season for riding.

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll try to get some pics up.
[MENTION=83]VEGASRIDER[/MENTION] - my co-rider, Soo, did a nice write-up on SSA.

Photo Aug 12, 8 45 36 AM.jpg
First "potty" break. On highway 70 outside Portola, CA
We are twins - ish. Her bike is a 2017 Street Triple RX, and I have a 2014 Street Triple R.
I led the whole 750 miles - which I never do. It was a new experience for me. Hubby always leads.

Photo Aug 12, 3 20 00 PM.jpg
Lunch stop - fireman were following us....

Photo Aug 12, 1 26 02 PM.jpg
I told my riding buddy I wouldn't stop or ride in gravel unless absolutely necessary. Then I told her we would be stopping to get this show, and it was in the gravel. lol
Highway 36 just over the railroad tracks in Red Bluff, CA. Must get pic if riding Highway 36.

Photo Aug 12, 1 27 27 PM.jpg
Selfie attempt infront of the Highway 36 sign. lol

Photo Aug 12, 3 18 49 PM.jpg
Mad River Burger Shack on Highway 36. Pretty much only place to get a bite to eat. Good burgers & fries.

Photo Aug 12, 12 51 07 PM.jpg
Waiting with the flagger before the construction zone. We had no idea what was in store for us, but we survived.
My riding buddy likes taking pics of me taking pics. lol

Photo Aug 13, 8 29 25 AM.jpg
Sunday morning coffee before tackling Highway 299
Super cool vintage bikes, coffee, and pastries. Must stop here if you are headed through Eureka, CA

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, F*@k. That's how my day has been going. I'll try to fix pics tomorrow. I'm off to bed to attempt to get some sleep.....

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, I saw her post post up on SSA. Her pictures were not upside down! Let me know if you need help with your dogs, you know I'm a professional dog walker for our local shelter.

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, I saw her post post up on SSA. Her pictures were not upside down! Let me know if you need help with your dogs, you know I'm a professional dog walker for our local shelter.

Thanks. That's nice of you. We are always looking for dog sitters. It's almost as hard to find as good babysitters... Our kids usually watch the dogs, but they seem to be really busy lately. The "girls" are both princesses and we need someone to stay at the house with them. Heaven forbid they stay the night alone....hubby says.

I don't know why pics are upside down. They aren't on my end. UGH!!! And I just have other things to do than fiddle with pics.

You going to the Rib Cook off at the Nugget this weekend? Best ribs in the West. I recommend Wednesday or Thursday night. Friday night through Monday are busy. It's going to be hot too.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You going to the Rib Cook off at the Nugget this weekend? Best ribs in the West. I recommend Wednesday or Thursday night. Friday night through Monday are busy. It's going to be hot too.

Uh, I guess. It's right out my front door. I live in the new Fountainhouse Apts, which is right at the epicenter. During Hot August Night, I was just about 200 feet from the main stage. I heard it's a pretty good line up for music this year. The Romantics open up on Wed night, then Night Ranger follows the next night. I'll be out of town on Friday returning Monday, so I'll miss most of the chaos. Over 500,000 visitors the next five days. I should charge $25 for parking, I have a garage.

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
Uh, I guess. It's right out my front door. I live in the new Fountainhouse Apts, which is right at the epicenter. During Hot August Night, I was just about 200 feet from the main stage. I heard it's a pretty good line up for music this year. The Romantics open up on Wed night, then Night Ranger follows the next night. I'll be out of town on Friday returning Monday, so I'll miss most of the chaos. Over 500,000 visitors the next five days. I should charge $25 for parking, I have a garage.

Cool! We went Thursday night and saw Night Ranger. Going Monday afternoon to see Flock of Seagulls. which garage is yours? We'll use it. Friends free, right?