GIVI engine guard!! IS your like mine? Anyone else notice this?

man@venture

Reaction score
Visit site
So I just got my new GIVI engine guard delivered today and first impressions..... WOW....... I guess the QA guy was sick the day they made my guard?

There are 2 plates per half guard where they welded the steel tube to. (the whole thing bolts together by the headers) so all together 4 plates (and welds) that are coincidently the mounting points for the guards. These things right here --> 20160406_154823.jpg
They clearly did not pull the steel tube all the way through the mounting plate when they welded it. Its so bad that it looks like on one side the weld is what is holding the tube to the plate.

Now I might be over reacting or whatever, and I know that welds are incredibly strong but come on really!! I would think its not very hard to do this procedure properly. I mean they managed to do it right on one weld (OUT OF FOURRRRR) Ya not happy with it. I don't even think I will Install it until I get it fixed up or maybe return it. I happened to get the givi guard for my Wifeys cb500x, I am not even sure i should unpack it.

So I guess my question is, How did you guys and gals get your guards? same problems? is this common place for givi? Would you return this, fix it, or am I hugely overreacting and I should install it and move on??

20160406_130632.jpg20160406_130637.jpg20160406_130655.jpg

And ready for it... the only good one
20160406_130704.jpg

Not to mention they could have taken a grinder to this before painting.20160406_130801.jpg
its not crucial but when you charge 160 bucks for some welded tubes at least take pride in your product. I could be crazy.... probably

Last edited:

man@venture

Reaction score
Visit site
Is there a bead on the other side, where the tube(s) go into each plate?

Nope TownsendsFJR1300 there is not.
If I choose to keep them, I was thinking to fix them I would take it to the welder down the street and see if he can fill that part in, or put a bead like you say, and then I will grind it smooth again and paint it, or sandblast it and Nickel plate it at work. I am still in awe tho, I dont know if I should take the time or just try a different brand.

Wait if you mean this side then yes. 20160406_130709.jpg

My concern is, on impact that weld (only on one side) is the only thing adsorbing the shock, if the bar was all the way through I would think it would also take some of the impact/shock right?

Last edited:

man@venture

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok on a second note same topic. I just unpacked my Wifes guard and its looking like the same thing. Soooo I guess its cool? I dont know much about welding so maybe a weld on one side is enough to absorb all the impact with out giving in? Id love some thoughts here.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In the ideal world, ya through would be good but honestly if the weld is good yer set. It's not like it's going to quadruple it's shear resistance by having it flush.
It is relying on the weld itself.

If the weld sucks, lacks penetration or over penetrates, or has gas holes, missed the plate/tube, yes - send it back. But honestly if you hit hard enough to tear the weld, you've got bigger issues...

Bold it on... Keep in mind if there is a gap when one side is tight, fill the gap with washers as sucking it in will induce stress you do not want.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That guard is fine.

The pipe is at least 2/3 in the hole, fully would be better, BUT its supported (with the plate) and looking at that weld, it looks fine and probably done by an automated welder.

Those guards are made up of pre-bent tubes, plates, etc and bolted into a JIG for the FZ. Their then welded and likely powder coated.

To put another weld inside is really not needed, would raise the cost of the product.

As noted above, those guards will do their job, install and ride!

BTW, I think to change the oil filter, the left guard has to be loosened for access..

man@venture

Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome, thank you for the reply guys. I will install and pray I never use them. One of the welds the bar was for sure not in at all on one side when welded, but the weld looks pretty solid on the other side, so I guess it will be fine. In any case you are right Finalimpact if I hit that hard the guard would probably be the least of my problems. Also good idea with the washers.
And thanks for the heads up on the oil change TownsendsFJR1300. I will plan for the extra step after I install these. Hmm better use the right loctite lol

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The bummer is removing the left side to change oil filter.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk