Givi V35 Side Case Mounting - Fitment Kit vs. Monorack - FYI

interactive3

FZ6 Rider
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
See my new thread below (#8) about the installation with pictures.

Original Post:
I'm getting a pair of Givi V35 Monokey side cases. these are the cases that are contoured on the back side to make them fit close to the bike.

The Givi V35 cases require the PLX351 tubular side-case holders to mount to.

According to the Givi web site the PLX351 tubular side-case holders require the Givi FZ351 topcase rack to properly mount. However, at some other on-line retailers a much, much cheaper 351KIT can be purchased to be used in conjunction with the PLX351 holders on the FZ6.

What's the deal? After some calling around and looking at the pictures it became apparent that the rear signal lights would need to be repositioned when using the side cases. According to the people I talked to the FZ351 Monorack comes with mounts for the rear signal lights and the Yamaha 351KIT fitment kit does not.

I figure I can fabricate some simple mounts for the signal lights and eliminate the (ugly) topcase rack. I'll post an update after I receive the goods and assemble. Has anyone else used the 351KIT with the PLX351 holders?

I hope this helps someone out who's considering Givi V35 side cases.

Last edited:

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm getting a pair of Givi V35 Monokey side cases. these are the cases that are contoured on the back side to make them fit close to the bike.

The Givi V35 cases require the PLX351 tubular side-case holders to mount to.

According to the Givi web site the PLX351 tubular side-case holders require the Givi FZ351 topcase rack to properly mount. However, at some other on-line retailers a much, much cheaper 351KIT can be purchased to be used in conjunction with the PLX351 holders on the FZ6.

What's the deal? After some calling around and looking at the pictures it became apparent that the rear signal lights would need to be repositioned when using the side cases. According to the people I talked to the FZ351 Monorack comes with mounts for the rear signal lights and the Yamaha 351KIT fitment kit does not.

I figure I can fabricate some simple mounts for the signal lights and eliminate the (ugly) topcase rack. I'll post an update after I receive the goods and assemble. Has anyone else used the 351KIT with the PLX351 holders?

I hope this helps someone out who's considering Givi V35 side cases.

Please keep us updated on this. I sure wish I could help you. If someone sent me $600 I'm sure I could! I want the exact same set-up you're planning. At one point I was able to find the instructions for these things online, but I don't remember what they had in them for the signals. :(

Of course I have an '07, which means I need the PLX360 side racks (rather than the PLX351 racks that you need for your '06). You'd think they'd include the signal re-locator in the 351KIT since you're obviously buying it because you don't want the top rack (and presumably still want rear turn signals!) I do remember that the muffler part of the 351KIT looks exactly the same as that for the top rack.

maverick1970

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah when I bought my PL360 kit, I already had the topcase on so didn't have to think about much. I did have a headache with the turning signals. I had to do some extensive rewiring of my OEM turning signals. The kit I ordered came with a bracket but didn't come with extra/new wire to extend the signal. I had to make and extention by taking some small gauge wire, soldering to the turning signal and also soldering on the end where it plugs into the side. It looked near stock after I was finished but looked kinda goofy when I had the bags off. Sorry that's the only picture I've got.

IMG_3099.jpg

gpwanabe

Reaction score
Visit site
I installed the V35 bags using the PLX360 racks and 351 kit. The turn signal relocation
hardware came with the sideracks so that should not be a problem. If you drill 2 holes in the fender between the lic. plate light and reflector you wont have to extend the length of the wiring. There are a few pictures of the bike with the bags installed at this link.
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/5000-givi-e21-side-cases.html

Darren

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Yup. Previous post is correct and it also applies to the PLX351 side rack. I just looked up the instructions for the PLX351 side case rack (for use with the pre 07 FZ6s) and they also come with the turn-signal re-locator (just like the PLX360 rack for the '07+ FZ6s). So whoever told you that you HAD to buy the toprack to re-locate the signals was wrong.

You can find links to PDFs of installation instructions for the side racks, the top rack, and the 351KIT (if you don't want to use the top rack) at the Canadian GIVI website..... GIVI.CA (navigation from there is pretty easy).

Hope that helps!

Cheers, Dean

interactive3

FZ6 Rider
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Please keep us updated on this. I sure wish I could help you. If someone sent me $600 I'm sure I could! I want the exact same set-up you're planning. At one point I was able to find the instructions for these things online, but I don't remember what they had in them for the signals. :(

Of course I have an '07, which means I need the PLX360 side racks (rather than the PLX351 racks that you need for your '06). You'd think they'd include the signal re-locator in the 351KIT since you're obviously buying it because you don't want the top rack (and presumably still want rear turn signals!) I do remember that the muffler part of the 351KIT looks exactly the same as that for the top rack.

I'll give a full update on this as soon as I get my pictures uploaded. Basically you'll need some spacers to take up the room of the "non-existent" top case rack. The blinkers do need to be moved. I used the included brackets and mounted them lower - but within reach of the existing wiring...

interactive3

FZ6 Rider
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This applies to bikes needing the PLX351 tubular side-case holders. Those would be the 2004-2006 FZ6 using the V35 Monokey side cases.

The PLX351 kit is designed with the top portion wide enough to accommodate the 351KIT screw boss AND the mount of the FZ351 top case rack. If you omit the top case rack as I did, you need to use a spacer to fill in the missing FZ351 mount. I thought about just using a shorter bolt, but realized that it would probably twist the rack, since the mount at the rear foot peg and the cross bar mount are fixed widths.

I ended up using a 5/8 inch long nylon spacer to take up the space.

For the rear signal lights I utilized the brackets that came with the side case holders. Rather than mounting the lights above the license plate I mounted the brackets on the inside of the rear fender, inside the protrusions for the license plate mount. I just had to drill two small holes and use some stainless bolts. The lights point upward slightly, but I intend to bend the horizontal part of the bracket to properly align them when I have more time. (They actually look pretty good with the upward angle since it compliments the angle of the cases.)

Other Issues I ran into:
  • After installing the expansion bolts into the frame tubes I tried to mount the tailpipe cover without much success. The holes in the cover wouldn't align with the threaded inserts on the muffler. I had to file the cover where the expansion bolts stick out of the frame tubes to eliminate an interference. That area is completely hidden, so the filed area does not show.
  • Getting the 351KIT brackets that wrap over the tailpipe cover to line up with both the upper and lower mounting points is a pain. I had to apply a lot of pressure to force them into position and then quickly get the bolts partially in.

I'm new to posting so I'm going to try to attach an image of the mounted rack before installing the necessary spacer. The bolt is fully installed. I'm also going to attach an image of the turn signal mount taken from the exterior of the fender. This shows the hole I drilled and bolt I installed to utilize the supplied mounts. Another image shows the signal mount from the inside of the fender. It might be a bit dark, but the nut is in there, and the existing wiring just reaches the lowered light position.

I'll have to post an image of the complete setup some other time...

Last edited:

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
That's clever, and it looks a whole lot better than the turn signal relocation kit that came with my Motech V-35 rack.

(The motech sticks the signals closer together and has them sticking way back. Looks really cheap.)

I'm going to see if I can do something like this with my setup.

notjohndavid

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I installed the V35 bags using the PLX360 racks and 351 kit. The turn signal relocation
hardware came with the sideracks so that should not be a problem. If you drill 2 holes in the fender between the lic. plate light and reflector you wont have to extend the length of the wiring. There are a few pictures of the bike with the bags installed at this link.
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/5000-givi-e21-side-cases.html

Darren

Big thanks for this info Darren. I went to install my plx360 rack and turn signals the other day. I didn't have any instructions with me and was scratching my head for a bit on how to go about getting them connected until I remembered reading that you had drilled a couple holes. This is where I ended up putting some holes. Need to clean it up a bit but this at least got me back on the road with turn signals, always a good thing!

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
good thread.. I really am interested in getting a set of v35 but wonder about fitment by the signal lights.. good info

interactive3

FZ6 Rider
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't like the closely spaced turn signals. If you look at my previous images - specifically post #9 - I have the signals located lower, just below the cases. It's just an aesthetic thing. You do need the aluminum re-location brackets that givi supplies with the mounting kit. I'll take a picture from the back in a couple of months when I put the bike back out (this morning's temperature 3 degrees F).

Last edited:

Mr_McBride

The Cartographer
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info interace3

This is exactly what I want to do. I really like what you did with the turn signals, I will probably do the same, but with smaller LED signals instead of the large stock ones.

SidB

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for the post, I've just finished fitting my Givi cases following your instructions and it went really well, your idea on the turn signals also turned out perfect.
Bike look great, ready for a tour!

interactive3

FZ6 Rider
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm glad I could help! I'm sure we'd all love to see pictures of your setup.

The bike is coming back out today. The temperature here in Massachusetts is going from freezing to 50F!

sabre

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to all for the info. I just ordered the V35's yesterday and will soon be figuring this all out. I'm sure I will reference this thread.

Rob2222

Reaction score
www.rob2222.de
Yup. Previous post is correct and it also applies to the PLX351 side rack. I just looked up the instructions for the PLX351 side case rack (for use with the pre 07 FZ6s) and they also come with the turn-signal re-locator (just like the PLX360 rack for the '07+ FZ6s). So whoever told you that you HAD to buy the toprack to re-locate the signals was wrong.

You can find links to PDFs of installation instructions for the side racks, the top rack, and the 351KIT (if you don't want to use the top rack) at the Canadian GIVI website..... GIVI.CA (navigation from there is pretty easy).

Hope that helps!

Cheers, Dean

Hi,

this is wrong. Please check the PLX351 manual, you will notice a difference between PLX351 and PLX360.
At the PLX360 (>= 07) the turning signal relocation is mounted to the PLX360 directly, so you didnt need the monorack.
At the PLX351 (<07) the turning signal relocation is mounted to the Monorack and NOT to the PLX351. So without Monorack you CANNOT MOUNT the relocation without further modding which interactive3 did.

@Interactive3:
Nice to see you found a simple and good looking possibility for relocating the turning signals without monorack.
Just check the visibility of the signal light when youre _not_ direct behind the bike. It could be that the cases cover the lights. Could be a safety aspect.

BR
Rob

Last edited:

Happy J

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys

I am looking at purchasing the same kind of setup to enable me to use the bike for work. My problem is that I have fited aftermarket scopion exhausts. Do you know it this system will still work? I have read many posts about how there is a bracket secured around the exhaust casing and I am not sure if this system will fit.

What do you think?

Cheers

Jason