Givi V35 Side Case Mounting - Fitment Kit vs. Monorack - FYI

interactive3

FZ6 Rider
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys

I am looking at purchasing the same kind of setup to enable me to use the bike for work. My problem is that I have fited aftermarket scopion exhausts. Do you know it this system will still work? I have read many posts about how there is a bracket secured around the exhaust casing and I am not sure if this system will fit.

What do you think?

Cheers

Jason

Take a look at post #8 (09-04-2008, 11:05 PM) in this thread. The first picture shows the metal bracket wrapping around the exhaust. If your exhaust is a smaller diameter than stock then it will work.

interactive3

FZ6 Rider
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've gotten a few PM's about the specifics of mounting hardware for the Givi V35 side cases without the top rack on 2006 and similar bikes.

You need the PL351Kit kit to go around the exhaust. You need the PLX351 for the hard cases. You'll need to make a spacer to take up the missing top rack mount.

Attached is an image with an arrow pointing to the spacer and another image showing how it all looks without the cases.

This setup is sturdy. There is no movement as long as your spacers are strong. I made the spacers out of plastic (ABS or Delrin) by turning them on a lathe. The outside diameter lines up with the rack tubing and the inside diameter lets the bolt pass through with a little bit of clearance.

If you're not up for making the spacers then I'd suggest using two nuts on on the mounting bolt for each side between the PL351Kit and the PLX351. An easy, but not quite as elegant alternative.

Again, See Posting #8 and #9 for other images of this setup. Thanks and good luck.

Last edited:

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad I found this! I commute to college on my bike, and they have no lockers, so I'm stuck locking my helmet to my rider peg and carrying my jacket around. With winter coming, I've been wanting sidebags to keep my helmet out of the weather, and store my jacket and pants. The V35s looked like about the only way to do that without making it as wide as a bus, but I kept seeing that you needed the topcase rack, not the 351KIT. Stupid, stupid, stupid, IMO, how many people are going to use sidecases this big AND a topcase? :rolleyes: Good to know the only thing holding me back is $1 worth of spacers and turn signal relocation.

I think I might simply add the Admore stop/tail/turn kit for the V35s and splice in a connector on the turn signal and taillight wires, and just remove the turn signals when I have the bags mounted. :thumbup:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
how many people are going to use sidecases this big AND a topcase? :rolleyes:

Umm.. I do :D
but that's not important. Just wanted to mention that you may want to consider going with just the top rack and a top case instead of side cases. It'll easily hold a helmet and a rolled up jacket and it'll cost you less than side racks + v35 cases. Not to mention it looks cleaner with cases off, though I suppose this point is debatable.

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
Umm.. I do :D
but that's not important. Just wanted to mention that you may want to consider going with just the top rack and a top case instead of side cases. It'll easily hold a helmet and a rolled up jacket and it'll cost you less than side racks + v35 cases. Not to mention it looks cleaner with cases off, though I suppose this point is debatable.

Personally, I think the Givi topcase rack looks awful on its own. I kinda like the look of a bike with fairly slim sidecases- just not those huge, fat 40+ liter Givis that stick out freakin' 18" on each side! I might rock a topcase if someone makes a rack to put it closer to over the pillion seat, instead of way off the back... I never carry anyone anyway, so it makes sense for me.

Besides that, I'd prefer for it to be able to hold a large fullface, my jacket (with spine pad), and riding pants. How big of a topcase would I need to hold all that? No, really, I'm asking... none of the shops around here seem to even know you can buy hard luggage. :rolleyes: Also, putting my bag in for the trip would be a plus, and it's pretty big, 18-20" wide or so.

You ain't kidding about the money, though. $835 from one of the cheaper places, for the V35s, rack, 351FIT kit, and the light kit. Oof! :eek: Perhaps I should just go back to looking at E21s and a decent topcase.

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Givi e470 (47L) topbox and out will hold two full face helmets; a full face helmet, gloves, riding pants and a water bottle, or; a full face helmet, gloves, my joe rocket hybrid jacket and that's all...

I also have Givi sidecases (big ones), but they allow me to travel with everything my wife and I need...

Sent from my SAMSUNG GALAXY S INFUSE using Tapatalk

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They're not that big.....they don't look too large for the bike at all.

Maybe you need to start touring - then you'll see why we need them :)

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Givi e470 (47L) topbox and out will hold two full face helmets; a full face helmet, gloves, riding pants and a water bottle, or; a full face helmet, gloves, my joe rocket hybrid jacket and that's all...

I also have Givi sidecases (big ones), but they allow me to travel with everything my wife and I need...

Sent from my SAMSUNG GALAXY S INFUSE using Tapatalk

I might just go for an E55 topcase. It's purdy, and looks like it might just hold what I need it to. Stick the jacket torso on the bottom, then the helmet on one side and pants on the other maybe? I can afford $450 out of my next check! :D

Kazaa, which ones are you talking about? Between the rack standoff and 2 cases, the big ones like the E45s look freaking WIDE when they're mounted up! I do need to do some touring, though... got some friends I need to visit ~400 miles away, and I sure don't feel like driving my truck that far!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I might just go for an E55 topcase. It's purdy, and looks like it might just hold what I need it to. Stick the jacket torso on the bottom, then the helmet on one side and pants on the other maybe? I can afford $450 out of my next check! :D

Kazaa, which ones are you talking about? Between the rack standoff and 2 cases, the big ones like the E45s look freaking WIDE when they're mounted up! I do need to do some touring, though... got some friends I need to visit ~400 miles away, and I sure don't feel like driving my truck that far!

V35s are definitely the nicest looking on FZ6 because they're the only ones that sit nicely inboard.
E55 is pretty massive. Should hold your helmet, jacket and pants with a bit of room to spare. All racks for top cases sit behind the seat, as far as I know, so if that bothers you you'll have to go with side rack approach.