Good beginner bike

idanny

Reaction score
www.minutehound.com
My friend is looking to get a street bike. This is going to be his first bike, what would be a good recommendation for a beginner bike?

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Good motorcycle for beginners? I would say a Kawasaki Ninja 250r, and any dual sport type motorcycle such as a Suzuki DR200SE or a Yamaha XT250. If he is a big guy, maybe a Ninja 500r or a light cruiser (Yamaha V Star 650, any Honda shadow 750cc or less). Most of these motorcycles are cheaper to insure, maintain and drop. If I was doing it again, I would definitely go with a used dual sport. Plus once the person is ready to upgrade to a newer/faster/bigger motorcycle he can keep it and use it as the rainy day ride.

H

HavBlue

Good motorcycle for beginners? I would say a Kawasaki Ninja 250r, and any dual sport type motorcycle such as a Suzuki DR200SE or a Yamaha XT250. If he is a big guy, maybe a Ninja 500r or a light cruiser (Yamaha V Star 650, any Honda shadow 750cc or less). Most of these motorcycles are cheaper to insure, maintain and drop. If I was doing it again, I would definitely go with a used dual sport. Plus once the person is ready to upgrade to a newer/faster/bigger motorcycle he can keep it and use it as the rainy day ride.

Or possibly sell it for near what he had in it. The next person will want a good beginner bike too.

W

wrightme43

Ninja250 Riders Club :: Index

Not only for the bike, but the community of knowledgeable people that use peer presure to promote full gear, and a intelligent riding strategy. It is a great bike to learn on, to learn to work on, to ride, and its hella fun. If you take care of it, you will get what you paid for it, minus fuel, insurance, tires and such.

Rocky529

Reaction score
Visit site
My very first bike was a 2008 FZ6.... not the smartest move, but 1300 miles later and I'm pretty comfortable.

But I definitely recommend a 250cc for starters.

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
1st ride? Get a big, old, used, ugly thing for cheap! You won't feel bad for dropping it and you'll learn lots of good moves; kind of like a cheap date!

H

HavBlue

1st ride? Get a big, old, used, ugly thing for cheap! You won't feel bad for dropping it and you'll learn lots of good moves; kind of like a cheap date!

This could be a really bad idea and rather than dropping the bike it may involve crashing. Big heavy bikes require a very good understanding of clutch and throttle control when leaning. Unlike the lighter bike where you could literally put a knee into a tank to bring it up, that big old ugly bike will require a fair amount of throttle and possibly a bit of countersteering or it's going down.

idanny

Reaction score
www.minutehound.com
The 250 is what I recommended to my friend he wants to get a brand new one. I am trying to convince him to get something a few years old. Since it is bound to go down.

S

sportrider

sorry Elm, I disagree with you on this one. a new rider should get the lightest bike with the least amount of power for the area there going to be riding in.

for an example; around town you can get away with a rebel 250 or small cc enduro, if your going to be riding at freeway speeds and everywhere else a Ninja 250 is the way to go.

if a new rider gets a machine that he/she has a hard time holding up or is intemidated by the learning curve will be a lot slower. a first bike should be confidence inspiring, easy to ride and they should feel comfortable on it.

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
Even a new Ninja 250 is a good choice. They hold their resale very well, and (at least in this area) you don't save too much going used unless it is more than 10 years old or totally destroyed from crashing/being dropped multiple times. Congrats to your friend for choosing a good first ride.