Goodbye KTM hello KLR

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Well first off let me say I love Craigslist!!! I posted my ktm for sale on there and when I did a search for ktm I saw a post that read 2005 klr for sale or trade for ktm. And long story short i traded my 89 ktm enduro 600 lc4 for a 2005 klr with 3800 miles on it. It wasn't a straight up trade I had to throw $500 in on the deal but basicly I got a 05 klr for only $1800. The $600 I paid for the ktm and the $700 I put into it fixing it up. The po of the klr wanted something more dirt oriented and I wanted something a little more commuter friendly, so it worked out great!!! Even though the klr don't have as much power as the ktm I'm still in love with it, it's super clean, super smooth, super nimble and pretty much exactly what I was looking for, so needless to say I'm thrilled right now!!!

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
Woo-hoo! Congrats. That worked out great!

Get some Happy Trail cases on that thing STAT. :thumbup:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm thinking about getting some .50cal ammo cans and mounting on the side and use those for side boxes lol seriously...I think it would be pretty cool

stpetemike

Reaction score
Visit site
The KiLleR is one of the most under rated motorcycles . Everyone should own one at some point. I had an '89 that I loved. Eventually gave it to a friend in need. Enjoy your beautiful new ride !

has it had the doohickey upgraded ? If not do it cheap and easy insurance.

Last edited:

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The KLR is bulletproof, I know a guy who owns three of them - one of them is for parts.

Yes definitely check out the doohickey mod - I forget exactly what it does but it supposedly makes maintenance life a lot easier.

Good deal there man!

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm thinking about getting some .50cal ammo cans and mounting on the side and use those for side boxes lol seriously...I think it would be pretty cool

I used plastic Plano ammo cases on my XT225 for awhile. Proper metal ammo cans are way better though. And both options are good $900 less than the Happy Trail panniers..

Picture046.jpg
[/IMG]

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
I think you got a great deal! Great swap man. I have been considering a similar trade with my CBR. Btw those plastic Plano cases look nice! Looking forward to seeing those metal ammo cans on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent deal! You just need to get the "Doo" (balancer chain adjuster) fixed with an Eagle Mike Kit. The stock spring that keeps tension on the chain is known to fail, Mikes design lasts forever. You do have to pull the flywheel, left side cases thou...

http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27231

I had an 04 650, same color scheme:

Last edited:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice! Must have been hard to walk away from an LC4 though.

A friend that I taught to ride last year just picked up his first bike...a 2002 with with 5400 miles for $1800...says it is clean as a whistle. Great value to be had with these bikes.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah it kind of was, but there's no way I could have taken that ktm on a 300+ mile day, maybe the newer ones but not that beast. The thing I miss the most about it is the power compared to the klr, it spent more time on 1 wheel then it did 2 lol

boars

Iced coffee fiend
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm forever jealous of the bike prices over there! My KLR was my first road... legal... bike. ;) Loved that bastard to bits - rode it to high school... ahh the freedom it gave was such a fantastic feeling. Go anywhere, anytime! No more public transportation limits!

Congrats on a good buy, you're sure to enjoy it ! :thumbup:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice score, KLR's rock! Here's my 2000 in Death Valley trim where I am headed next Wed.:Flash:
It's a great desert mule as I will most likely put on 600 plus miles in 3 days. Gotta love the big seat and fuel tank.

IMG_0056-2.jpg

S

Shamus McFeeley

M2 .50 cal ammo cans are incredibly small. You would probably want to look for something else.

The Hill Boys

Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats! I am seriously considering selling my FZ6 (still keeping my sons) and buying a Suzuki DR650. I've heard there are a little more nimble off road. But I've heard really good things about the KLR's too. Decisions, decisions...

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice score, KLR's rock! Here's my 2000 in Death Valley trim where I am headed next Wed.:Flash:
It's a great desert mule as I will most likely put on 600 plus miles in 3 days. Gotta love the big seat and fuel tank.

IMG_0056-2.jpg

I love that olive green color, I've already been kicking around the idea of painting it matte black, olive green, or getting the plastics rhino lined, and making it look like the military klrs. It would be nice to actually find one of the military diesel powered klrs, but I've herd they are few and far between, not to mention about double the price of a standard 650. I'm also thinking about mounting a gun boot on the right side so come hunting season I can leave straight from work on the bike and save gas instead of driving my truck. Man there are thousands of options for these bikes and I have twice as many ideas!!

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats! I am seriously considering selling my FZ6 (still keeping my sons) and buying a Suzuki DR650. I've heard there are a little more nimble off road. But I've heard really good things about the KLR's too. Decisions, decisions...

If I were you I would base my decision on how/what the bike will be used for. If you intend on commuting more then going off road, klr. If you plan on spending more time off road then on road, dr. If you want to take long trips to go off road, as in a long ride to get to the place where the pavement ends, klr. If it will be short rides to where the pavement ends, dr. From things ive read, and people ive talked too thats the case for them as well. Of course that's just my opinion but either of the bikes would be great choices, both being pretty much bulletproof as well.