Google Nexus 7

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So I bought myself one of these fancy dandy tablet thingamabobs a little while back. It is the 16GB Nexus 7. Sadly, after buying it, a month later they released the 32GB version for the same price. Bleh oh well. Here is the good, the bad, and the ugly!

The Good:
So far, I freakin love this thing! The Tegra 3 processor is plenty strong enough to keep this tablet running smoothly, and to play some of those top 3D games recently released. The operating system is nice and tamper free. It gets the most recent version releases. 4.2 was available days after the new nexus family was released. This was one of the main reasons I chose to go with the Nexus 7 vs a Kindle Fire. No bloatware and pure google operating system yay! The touchscreen is very responsize, and the overall size/shape/feel is very nice in my hands. I have also added a faux leather case for it. Comes in different colors, and has the magnets in the flip cover that turn the screen on and off. A very nice feature they threw into the tablet.

The Bad:
This version did not come with the data connection option, so if you are away from a wireless router that you have access to, you cant browse the internet or anything like that. They did release a version now for a little more money that can get that 3G/4G data connection, just need a plan that it can be paired with. It also does not have a micro-sd card slot, so the internal storage is all you get. This appears to be a common theme with new devices. They are expecting people to also use online storage options such as Google Drive to help increase the storage limits.

Any questions, just ask!

edfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
you can get a USB OTG cable for external storage.. Also tether to your phones data plan via foxfi (no root needed)..

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
you can get a USB OTG cable for external storage.. Also tether to your phones data plan via foxfi (no root needed)..

And after that you can..... :)
hughBorg.jpeg

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Unfortunately, Foxfi was pulled out of the playstore. You can only download the extension. Unless you can download it through a pc and install it that way.
I have it on my Bionic and it works great.
There's another similar function app you can download that uses BT for tethering such as Open Garden, but you need to install it on all your devices that needs tethering.

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
GPS works great for me. Google maps has the option to pre-download a given map area so you don't need a data connection to run the GPS navigation.

Tethering is a way to get it data access as well, have my DROID X rooted, so will be trying that soon. Hopefully the Nexus 4 will be back in stock by the time my Verizon contract is up.

edfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
I use the GPS more so than the one in the car...its updated and real time traffic..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I find myself just using the tablet for browsing the web and checking email rather than my laptop. SO much easier to just open it up, rather than boot my laptop and login to it.

tom.gabriele

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought one when the Nexus 7 first came out too. I ended up returning it though.

Nothing wrong with it - I just never used it! Between android phone, netbook and desktop, there was no hole for the tablet to fill.

I literally unpacked it, played with it for a few minutes, then it sat on my end table for days. I feel bad that it truly is a good product, but I just have no use for it.

Daniel_Aus

Reaction score
Visit site
Also tether to your phones data plan via foxfi (no root needed)..

I have a Nexus 7 and Samsung Galaxy S2. I don't need any special apps to tether to my phone's data plan. On the phone just go into Settings > More > Tethering and portable hotspot and turn it on!

I agree that the Nexus 7 is very cool. I got the 16GB version and find it is fine for my use. I don't bother storing music on it (my phone is better as an mp3 player), and everything else I use it for is online. One of the main things I use it for is reading via either Google Play books or the Amazon app.

It's handy for taking travelling, especially if you ride a motorcycle and have limited storage! :D