Got myself a new tank!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, had a bit of an accident back in December, sorta dented up my previously mint condition orange tank....have wanted a black tank for a while, or at least some black vinyl strips to cover up the orange peaking out from beneath my tank bra...

So i thought, what the hey...just get a new tank, get the old one fixed at my leisure, and then have a spare tank for my track FZ6....Pinky!

Well i have gone and done it, bought a new tank, painted in black...wil still leave the old one orange when i get it fixed, so if i want to i can put it back on my street FZ6, and if i ever decide to turn pinky back into a street bike...i have all the bits...then i can put the black tank on her....and she will look like new!

Anyway, here's some photo's of the new tank, off and on my bike

View attachment 15059

View attachment 15060

View attachment 15061

View attachment 15062

View attachment 15063

View attachment 15064

View attachment 15068

View attachment 15069

View attachment 15070

View attachment 15071

.....i also replaced my slightly scuffed side covers, with the new ones i had hanging around here from Pinky....gotta get rid of the red stripes on them...they look naff!, but apart from that, my street FZ6 has had a bit of a tart up! and now bears no mark's or blemishes from that nasty little accident i had back in december!

Am going to put the black tank bra back on, 2 reasons,1. i like the leather look, and 2. it will help preserve that nice new black paint!

By the way taking off the tank, and putting the new tank on, took about half an hour in total, just had to take off the petrol cap/filler, front mounting brackets, fuel pump, and rubber frame mount/spacers, and put them all on the new tank, refit the tank...drain the petrol from the old tank, filter it into the new tank...and we didnt spill a drop!

:rockon:

Steph

Bartender
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That looks really good, but where's the orange?! lol I do like the leather look too, don't blame ya :thumbup:

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Looking good as always Wolfie! Do you have any plans to polish anything besides the wheels? And why are all your pics in the dark!!!!!! J/K I know you are a night owl.... :D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That looks really good, but where's the orange?! lol I do like the leather look too, don't blame ya :thumbup:

Dont worry, the orange aint gone, just off to be fixed...was a little banged up after my accident, needs some TLC....and she will get it, i love that orange tank!

Looking good as always Wolfie! Do you have any plans to polish anything besides the wheels? And why are all your pics in the dark!!!!!! J/K I know you are a night owl.... :D

Was thinking of replacing the headers...they are 30000 km's old now, and dont scrub up very well anymore...was thinking of getting some made, and making sure they were highly polished too...also would get rid of the second cat!

As for the night owl thing....i have been working all day, only got the thing 2 hours ago! couldnt wait till day time to put it on, and definitely could not wait to take a photo...i photograph everything! which drives my kids nuts!

Anyway, it's only 10.30pm here now...that's early!

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm......... getting headers made.......this could be good.......and expensive........and maybe not totally worth it........sounds like a great idea! :thumbup: why not? You could easily move the powerband with a mod like that.........I will stay tuned for that one :D

and we know how you love to photograph everything.....believe me the kids will appreciate it more as they get older.....I wish my parents had taken more of my youth! And 10:30p.m. is late unless you are out drinking.......due to the fact I get up @ 4:30a.m. :eek:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good! I definitely like it a lot more than that tank bra.

Yes, that's what my mate who helped me with it tonight said, he like it a lot more, gotta say, it's a pretty nice tank, quality of finish, and the metal flake is top class...cant fault those robots!

But as for me.....I dunno, am pretty attached to that tank bra...anyway, it normally takes me a couple of days to work out whether i like something or not...am a bit slow...it's a DJ thing!

Just glad to get the other tank off, so i can get the dings fixed!

:thumbup:

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, that's what my mate who helped me with it tonight said, he like it a lot more, gotta say, it's a pretty nice tank, quality of finish, and the metal flake is top class...cant fault those robots!

But as for me.....I dunno, am pretty attached to that tank bra...anyway, it normally takes me a couple of days to work out whether i like something or not...am a bit slow...it's a DJ thing!

Just glad to get the other tank off, so i can get the dings fixed!

:thumbup:

I think the "shine" of it may persuade your opinion in our direction ;)

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
I must have read something wrong....I thought you had it painted black....is it just an OEM Yamaha tank in black? I remeber how nice my tank looked when new....nice and shiny with a great flake to it...... :banghead:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm......... getting headers made.......this could be good.......and expensive........and maybe not totally worth it........sounds like a great idea! :thumbup: why not? You could easily move the powerband with a mod like that.........I will stay tuned for that one :D

Well there is a motorbike exhaust guru that runs a shop here in Adelaide...has been at it for 30 years, and he only does bikes....he is oldschool, and works out of a very messy shed, with all sorts of unfinished, and half completed projects scattered about the place...he gutted my OEM pipes rathernicely...was thinking of letting him loose on the header issue, i reckon the results could be interesting...

gharris66

Reaction score
Visit site
I must have read something wrong....I thought you had it painted black....is it just an OEM Yamaha tank in black? I remeber how nice my tank looked when new....nice and shiny with a great flake to it...... :banghead:

I read wrong too. I have a tank coming that I am painting and was about to ask how he painted. Looks like he said "Painted in black" as in that's the color it is. Not "Painted it black" :)

I didn't want to be without the bike so I have one coming which I'll get painted and then swap.

Any input from anyone on easiest way to paint?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Like I said...I will stay tuned :D

The old guys working out of a shed always have the best ideas too.....why is that?

Cause they dont have brand loyalty, and generally dont worry about sticking to convention...just what works! gotta love em, the Burt Monroe's of the World!

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Cause they dont have brand loyalty, and generally dont worry about sticking to convention...just what works! gotta love em, the Burt Monroe's of the World!

and most of those half finished pieces are works of art in themselves, better than most could ever dream of....... :rockon:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
and most of those half finished pieces are works of art in themselves, better than most could ever dream of....... :rockon:

Aint that the truth...every time i go in there, or a bike shop like it, there's something else that catches my eye....Big old 80's "Superbikes" with massive, black as black straight thruogh pipes, that look evil, and sinister....old BSA's, with wires hanging out everywhere, and no muffler...making you wonder what the heck he has in his mind for that...then you ask him, and 45 minutes later...

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Aint that the truth...every time i go in there, or a bike shop like it, there's something else that catches my eye....Big old 80's "Superbikes" with massive, black as black straight thruogh pipes, that look evil, and sinister....old BSA's, with wires hanging out everywhere, and no muffler...making you wonder what the heck he has in his mind for that...then you ask him, and 45 minutes later...

Ha, Ha, how true. I think they are just like all you Aussies......getting totally off the subject......like we are doing now. :rof::hijack:

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
and speaking on petrol tanks, and photo whores :D I want some daylight pics when you get a chance. I bet that baby looks even better in the sunlight! :thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
and speaking on petrol tanks, and photo whores :D I want some daylight pics when you get a chance. I bet that baby looks even better in the sunlight! :thumbup:

You wont have to wait long... i have plans to take a few shots in the morning! aint seen it in daylight myself yet!

This also means i have to polish my wheels...bug guts everywhere!