Greetings from Los Angeles

looshin

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Everyone,

I just picked up a 2008 FZ6 (Blue) the other night!!

Little bit about me.This is my 3rd bike, following a GS500 and Multistrada 620, after not having a bike for the past year. I consider myself on the taller side of riders, 6'4", and I've already logged some hours the past few days reading these forums and hope to gain alot from all the knowledge on here.

The bike: Has about 16,500 miles on it. New Michelin Pilot tires. The previous owner had the plugs, air/oil filters, brake fluid, and coolant changed around 8k miles(2.5 years ago) before driving it from MA to CA. Oil/filter changed again around the 13k mark. Few scratches from a drop offroad. Givi luggage.

Plans(besides riding it!): Immediate plans are to get some boots and gloves...followed by lowered footpegs... I also fell for the Leo Vince exhaust which might be a purchase in the future.

Does anyone have any recommendations on maintenance before I start riding?? (I'll be changing the oil and filter tomorrow)

ENJOY!

Lucien

gdPxIeb.jpg

looshin

Reaction score
Visit site
Changing the oil and filter is a breeze. Easy access.

Yeah. Was thinking more on the lines of other odds and ends. Like the maintenance schedule calls out to regrease the swingarm bearing at 16k...

I realized I'm beating a dead horse after now reading "New Owner: Things to check?" Thread going on in General Discussion. :D

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to this great forum! Now keep an eye out for rides some of down here do and join us for one! :rockon:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You may find some value and performance from changing the fork oil. OEM fluid is 5W fork oil but 10W is a better choice adding a bit more damping control. The fill lever is the forks stroke length IIRC about 5" but less may be better for your size ~ 4.0" down (more oil), springs out, tubes compressed!

Nice intro, get that gear in place and get used to the bike! Be safe!

Dvan5693

Reaction score
Visit site
Very nice! I just picked up an 06 with 16k on it and changed the oil and coolant, doing brake fluid next! Even if the previous owner said they did X, I still like the peace of mind knowing it was done. Plus a gallon of coolant is 12 bucks and and 32oz of DOT4 is 8 bucks lol.

Check Craigslist and ebay for used gear! Also motorcyclegrar.com has good deals as well as a used gear section!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum!

One thing to specifically pay attention to the drive chain. It likes to be clean and lubed, specifically lubed. Adjustment is critical and compared to most bikes, is MUCH LOOSER. Pay close attention to the owners manual re adjusting it and follow it to the letter(2" total up and down). :thumbup:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll have to say is when changing oil/coolant be ready..that stuff shoots out like a water gun.

If you slowly crack the radiator cap loose after removing the drain plug, you can easily control the flow (and not have to hose down the garage afterwards :) )

Oil, yep, have a large catch pan and lots of paper towels..