Grill Covers...WORK!!

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So I was scouring the internet for a better cover for my Ninja since the one it had was in sad shape (pics to follow) and I read some guy had great success with grill covers (cheap, strong and bearing all the heat/weather resistance that a motorcycle cover would need)

So my dad and I went to Home Depot today and bought the 70" grill cover (well two since he believes his cover is starting to go since it has one small rip) but when we came home it didn't quite cover as much as I would like so we went back and bought the 82" cover(s) they had and well... HERE'S THE RESULT! :rockon:

It has little velcro strips on the front and back that help tighten up the cover :) (only the rear pictured)

Note the nice little vent on the one side too, that'll be nice to help breathability!

Here are both bikes (FZ and Interceptor) enjoying their new super awesome econo-covers!

Here's the old Ninja with my old cover on top of my dad's old cover (you can see how bad my old cover had been torn up around the left mirror)

Here's the cover on the shelf at Home Depot for just under $35+Tax (LINK on HD Website)

I'll keep you all updated with their durability over time!

DavesFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sure they'll last much longer than a thin motorcycle cover, but what kind of material is on the inside? They look great.

As an aside, I don't think you're supposed to put grill covers on until the grill is cool, so maybe the heat protection will have to be monitored.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sure they'll last much longer than a thin motorcycle cover, but what kind of material is on the inside? They look great.

As an aside, I don't think you're supposed to put grill covers on until the grill is cool, so maybe the heat protection will have to be monitored.
It's like some kind of synthetic tough material (I'm bad with material identification though haha)

Well only one way to find out, I think it'll be alright (*crosses fingers*) :eek:

dschult2

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh, that kind of grill cover! When I read the post title I thought you were referring to the ones for cars.:Im With Stupid:

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
Careful I used them on my minibikes and the water/heat combo (?) caused it to stick and caused paint damage :(

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Careful I used them on my minibikes and the water/heat combo (?) caused it to stick and caused paint damage :(
Stick to the bike?? If so, these don't seem very likely to. The covers our cycles had on them would get very clingy when wet but it hasn't rained yet, but from the much different material I'm doubting they will. I'll definitely let you guys know how well they handle heat and the elements though. (sorry about the minibikies!)

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Neat idea. I use a Paul jr designs cover that I got from Walmart. Fits like it was almost made for the fz6
How much did that run you??

Also first rainy day and the covers aren't adhering to the cycles like a motorcycle cover often does, they are sturdy and protective!! :cheer:

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry it's taken so long, life has gotten a little hectic lately. Here's the pic
null_zps4d0307f5.jpg

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry it's taken so long, life has gotten a little hectic lately. Here's the pic
PICTURE!
Looks like a great fit!

Our grill covers are still working EXCELLENT! I throw it right on after a long ride and it handles the hot exhaust just fine.

Last edited:

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
love it! Now please pass the mustard.