Status
Not open for further replies.

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
*UPDATE*

Well, it appears we now have all of the information for the Hydraulic Unit, Master Cylinder Options, and Lever availability: so I thought I would update and summarize the thread.

Group Buy Purchase Information:
Product: Magura Hymec 167 Hydraulic Clutch Kit
Website: Magura Controls ProductFinder | HYMEC "Street" (FZ6 Fazer, SV650, ...)
Suggested Retail Price: $390 USD plus Shipping
Group Discount Price: $280 USD plus Shipping
Required Number of Participants: 5

Standard Kit Photo:

Installed Photo:

Aftermarket Levers:

ASV: Levers are in the beginning stages of production. ASV research department was unable to give me an exact availability date but said to estimate at least a month.

Pazzo: Not and Will Not be available. From Pazzo Sales when asked if they will manufacture for this unit;
"Chances are slim to none.
The volume of these on the market is just not high enough to justify the R&D costs to make a lever for it. As to making a one off, the first one off the production line costs a small fortune. So without confirmed pre sold of 100 or more it won’t happen
Regards
Markus"

CRG: Uknown

Available Master Cylinder Options:
The kit is Available (for an up-charge) with the Magura Radial 195 Master Cylinder.

Website:Magura Controls ProductFinder | Radialkupplung 195 (Ø 12 mm, MINERALÖL)

Benefits: Efficient radial style master. Matching brake master cylinder available. Allows ample space for the FZ6 left hand switch assembly. Great Looks! Also, the Magura 195 Radial Master is OEM of the KTM Superduke 990; Therefore, nearly all brands of aftermarket levers are available (ASV, Pazzo, CRG, Rizoma, and More)

Magura Radial 195 Stock Photo:

So, if anyone is truly interested please PM me. I will try to answer any remaining questions that may still be out there (Including the up-charge amount of the radial units).

Otherwise Ride Safe and Thank You for reading :)

Senior

My brother is Junior
Reaction score
Visit site
good thread :thumbup:

I like the idea of going for a lighter feel hydraulic clutch and having experience of Magura through mountian biking and my son's trial bike have confidence in the brand.

With all the questions of "can I change the level to ASV or Pazzo", do we know the cost of a replacement stock Magura lever (there is a snap off point on the level)

but the question that's more interesting for me is if it is possible to upgrade the stock hose to a braided one ?
:)

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Any new news yet guys?? My fingers are getting all tingly:thumbup:!!

Really no news to speak of. There are only two people on board for the non-upgraded hydraulic set-up which does not meet the group buy quota. The other two are looking for the upgrade to the radial master cylinder (which Magura is still putting together a total cost after making the necessary adjustments to line lengths, line connections, and housing finish). As soon as I know you will know:)

thieu

Reaction score
Visit site

I like the idea of going for a lighter feel hydraulic clutch and having experience of Magura through mountian biking and my son's trial bike have confidence in the brand.

With all the questions of "can I change the level to ASV or Pazzo", do we know the cost of a replacement stock Magura lever (there is a snap off point on the level)

but the question that's more interesting for me is if it is possible to upgrade the stock hose to a braided one ?

Cool thing is the stock hose IS a braided one :thumbup:- check out skooters review!

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

It looks like Thieu already beat me to the punch!

The replacement levers for the standard Hymec Perch run about $50 USD for the replacement. Hopefully the time never comes where it has to be replaced for breakage.

To follow up on Thieu's response; The Hymec 167 kit for our bikes comes with their Carbon Fiber braided line. There are also stainless braided lines available if you were so inclined (photo below)

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Anymore info on the radial mount upcharge?

Nothing yet:( On another note; how concerned would you be with the finish color? One of the current hold-ups is the fact that the radial master cylinder suitable for the FZ6 set-up is only available in silver (See the photo below). Peter is working to get them manufactured in the "Blued" color (as shown in my previous post) as well as in black.

If the silver would be suitable for you, or anyone else for that matter, then the kits would be much more readily available with the radial.

dnellans

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd actually prefer the silver to blued/black since it matches handlebars, frame, etc on my 2004. I'm not picky though - its performance, not asthetics i'm trying to gain =)

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good News!

Yesterday, I had informed Peter @ Magura of the number of people interested in the "standard" hydraulic clutch kit so far. Today, he responded with this:

"Scott

So far I have no change on 195 radial master cylinders.
Silver left and gun metal blue right.
If the two want clutch, I can send them for price I gave.
At this time I have 4 0120689 Clutches in stock.

Regards
Peter
"

Peter's Contact information is below. When you call be sure to mention the Group Purchase and my name (Scott Little). If I recall correctly, the following were interested in the "standard" (non radial upgrade) kit:

-dnellans
-(none)
-thieu (Tentatively waiting for the upgrade)

PM's are on their way as well just in case this post is missed. Please inform me when you order just so I can keep tabs on the quantity of items purchased; I am hoping to sneak a discount on my full price purchase :D

So here is the contact info; as always, please let me know if you have any questions!

Peter Ubellacker
MAGURA USA
724 W Clem
Olney, IL 62450

p 618 395 2200 ext. 223
c 618 838 7941
f 618 395 4711

[email protected]
MAGURA - The Passion People!

dnellans

Reaction score
Visit site
Now I'm a bit confused - he can do the standard clutch purchase, but he also has the radial mount available as long as you're happy with silver?

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Now I'm a bit confused - he can do the standard clutch purchase, but he also has the radial mount available as long as you're happy with silver?

Yes and yes:)

The "standard" set-up is the Magura Hymec 167 for the FZ6 for the $280 plus shipping which are in stock and ready for purchase.

For the radials, Peter is working on:
1). The total up-charge for the Radial 195 master cylinder upgrade.
2). The finish color of the Radial 195 (currently only available in silver for the bore size required)

Hope this clears it up!

dnellans

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, I just talked to Peter at Magura...

He said they only have silver, and that the radial upgrade would be $150. He also said that they don't have any of the radials ready to ship because it requires a different master cylinder connection to the hose due to piston size.

He also said he couldn't make any guarantees about the clutch "feel" with the radial because the stock master has a 9.5mm piston size and the radial has an 11mm piston size which will result in a shorter friction point/pull length for engaging the clutch. Some people might want this, but all should be aware...

Given the delay, price increase, and untested nature of the clutch pull I opted to just go for the stock unit. It should be on its way to me tomorrow!

Thanks Skooter!!

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, I just talked to Peter at Magura...

He said they only have silver, and that the radial upgrade would be $150. He also said that they don't have any of the radials ready to ship because it requires a different master cylinder connection to the hose due to piston size.

He also said he couldn't make any guarantees about the clutch "feel" with the radial because the stock master has a 9.5mm piston size and the radial has an 11mm piston size which will result in a shorter friction point/pull length for engaging the clutch. Some people might want this, but all should be aware...

Given the delay, price increase, and untested nature of the clutch pull I opted to just go for the stock unit. It should be on its way to me tomorrow!

Thanks Skooter!!

Congrats dnellans! I do not think you will be dissapointed.

I am surprised he gave you a number for the up-charge. So far, he did not want to put a number to it until all of the line connection details and finishes were worked out. As far as color; it wasn't even on my radar that previous model years of the bike had mainly silver components and would work very well with the silver master cylinder (selfish me wanted black to match the black on the rest of the bike). Good to know though.

Clutch Pull trade-offs were to be expected but I appreciate you bringing them to light. Assuming all other components like lever length and connection geometry are equal (which they are not, but for sake of comparison we will assume so) the transition from Ø9.5mm to Ø11mm will yield about 13% harder lever pull. To put that in perspective; if it takes 5lbs of force to pull the Ø9.5mm standard set-up lever, then it will take roughly 6lbs force to pull the Ø11mm radial lever. Hopefully I can guinea pig this before anyone makes a purchase and is unhappy.

If you have any questions with the install or anything please let me know.

dnellans

Reaction score
Visit site
Yea he was surprisingly forthcoming - I basically told him I'd be happy to wait for radial if it was "soon and cheap" but at $280 +150 and not so soon I just went for the stock version.

I think Peter's bigger concern is not the clutch pull force, but rather that actual lever travel distance. Given equal components like you mention the friction point will appear "shorter" in effect, making the difference between stop and go a bit choppier.

For racers this is a desired feature, but for stop and go commuters this is generally a bad thing. Scooter, do you feel like you've got more control over the friction point with the current hymec clutch than you did with the cable version? Maybe a shorter friction point distance will be a non-issue.

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yea he was surprisingly forthcoming - I basically told him I'd be happy to wait for radial if it was "soon and cheap" but at $280 +150 and not so soon I just went for the stock version.

I think Peter's bigger concern is not the clutch pull force, but rather that actual lever travel distance. Given equal components like you mention the friction point will appear "shorter" in effect, making the difference between stop and go a bit choppier.

For racers this is a desired feature, but for stop and go commuters this is generally a bad thing. Scooter, do you feel like you've got more control over the friction point with the current hymec clutch than you did with the cable version? Maybe a shorter friction point distance will be a non-issue.

That does make sense: you can move a much larger volume with the Ø11mm with a smaller lever throw. I am not sure how I feel about that depending on how well it can be adjusted.

As for the control: "... Clutch pull is significantly reduced; I would even go as far to say that the new proportion of lever pull to slave cylinder travel has actually increased the feel of the friction zone (I realize that the means of clutch engagement does not actually change the friction zone, but the proportion of clutch lever pull to clutch arm movement is different than with the stock cable.) The total "throw" of the hand lever equals a smaller "throw" of the clutch arm at the engine giving much more control of engagement/disengagement. Magura was spot on with this one."

I just copied it from my review; easier than retyping:)

dnellans

Reaction score
Visit site
Nothing yet - and in fact the charge on my card was just reversed it looks like crediting me back the $300. going to email peter to find out what is going on!

Status
Not open for further replies.