Hard Gloss Coating

ihavereverb

Reaction score
Visit site
So I'd like to premise this by saying I did a search and couldn't find a threat, so if there is one it's my lack of search skills... not lack of trying ;)

I have attempted to paint my handlebar + gas cap twice now (some lady hit my bike and bent the bar... so I had an excuse this time). Every time I do it though, the paint and everything looks great, but the gloss ends up being soft and not particularly protective. I can bite into it with my fingernail, which is not hard enough. I've used 3 different enamels now (hated the 2nd one, so stripped and started over) and none of them have given that hard protective coating that I'm looking for.

Is there a particular process here that should be used, or it spray paint just never going to do it? I have looked up a lot of painting stuff on the internet and can just not find a good piece on it. Everyone says enamel is good for protection, but I don't find it all that great. I have done both lighter and heavier coats, but can't get it to work. (Ironically, the first thing I painted on my bike was my windscreen, and that actually turned out awesome without any need for gloss at all. I did that years ago though and can't remember what paint I used, though I highly doubt it was anything special since I bought it at autozone. Perhaps it's the plastic versus metal?)

Any ideas? Throw it in the oven? Freeze it? Give up?

Mike372

Reaction score
Visit site
What type of enamel have you been using? Oil, latex, acrylic? Enamel paints do take time to cure, and depending on what type you are using, it could take up to a month to fully cure. Heat can help a litte,but the best thing is proper priming and time. The longer it sits and cures, the harder it will get. Enamel paints cure best when sprayed in light, even coats. Allow the coats to dry completely before applying a new coat. It also helps to have a light level of air ciculation and low humidty.

Mudkipz137

Reaction score
Visit site
So I'd like to premise this by saying I did a search and couldn't find a threat, so if there is one it's my lack of search skills... not lack of trying ;)

I have attempted to paint my handlebar + gas cap twice now (some lady hit my bike and bent the bar... so I had an excuse this time). Every time I do it though, the paint and everything looks great, but the gloss ends up being soft and not particularly protective. I can bite into it with my fingernail, which is not hard enough. I've used 3 different enamels now (hated the 2nd one, so stripped and started over) and none of them have given that hard protective coating that I'm looking for.

Is there a particular process here that should be used, or it spray paint just never going to do it? I have looked up a lot of painting stuff on the internet and can just not find a good piece on it. Everyone says enamel is good for protection, but I don't find it all that great. I have done both lighter and heavier coats, but can't get it to work. (Ironically, the first thing I painted on my bike was my windscreen, and that actually turned out awesome without any need for gloss at all. I did that years ago though and can't remember what paint I used, though I highly doubt it was anything special since I bought it at autozone. Perhaps it's the plastic versus metal?)

Any ideas? Throw it in the oven? Freeze it? Give up?

Well alright, I'm not a paint pro so take what I say with a bit of salt. I'm not sure you're going to get a HARD surface on that metal, you may be better off getting them powder coated. Let me know if you find something that works. I know some people have painted their frame and engine, but I don't think they're able to get something that's scratch-resistant.

Hope you get better answers, but I think powdercoat will be the most durable finish you'll find.

mud

PS: Bravo Mike372 :)