Hardest technique to master

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
I recently tried leaning out to the side when I am in the twisties. Wow what a difference. I can take corners faster with more control. I couldn't do this last year (my first season). We did some pretty tight switch back corners yesterday. I was keeping up with the boys. Big fun. My hubbie couldn't believe I was in his mirrors when we got through the corners. Ususally he has to slow up and wait for me. Yippee!!! Those tight right turns are easier for me too. The bike isn't leaned over as far and I have good control of the throttle. It's amazing what a lot of seat time will do for your skills. I've done around 8,000 miles this season. We ride for 8 to 10 hours a day on the weekend.
Monica, me too. Leaning off the bike, even without my butt hanging off, makes a hyooooge difference in my cornering.

That, and I realized after a couple of years that right corners seemed so much more challenging simply because I'm used to hubby going first (and thus spotting all the gravel and potholes for me), with me staying near the right-hand side of the lane as I go into each corner. I don't know why it didn't occur to me before this year why I've been going into the right corners way too hot. No wonder my right peg was getting scraped so much, the poor thing. The last little while I've been retraining myself to pick my line based on where I need to be instead of just staying on hubby's right flank. What a simple, basic thing to be doing wrong. o_O

Last edited:

sandctrev

Reaction score
Visit site
The hardest thing for me to master, is convincing my wife of the importance of multi day rides.
Really though... For me it would have to be in the twisty's. I'm never comfy with hitting a turn at speeds. Everything tells me to slow down before I hit said turn. I'm not sure if its just lack of experience, or if I haven't the best technique.

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
Monica, me too. Leaning off the bike, even without my butt hanging off, makes a hyooooge difference in my cornering.

That, and I realized after a couple of years that right corners seemed so much more challenging simply because I'm used to hubby going first (and thus spotting all the gravel and potholes for me), with me staying near the right-hand side of the lane as I go into each corner. I don't know why it didn't occur to me before this year why I've been going into the right corners way too hot. No wonder my right peg was getting scraped so much, the poor thing. The last little while I've been retraining myself to pick my line based on where I need to be instead of just staying on hubby's right flank. What a simple, basic thing to be doing wrong. o_O

I think I read in David Hough's "Proficient motorcycling" (if it was written for women it would be called "Safe Motorcycling" hahaha) that you should line up for each corner at the opposite side of the corner. For instance, if it's it a right hand corner, you come into the corner from the left-hand track. For left-hand corner, you line up in the right track. I too ride in my husband's right track, but when we hit the twisties, we go single-track. When our son rides with us, we ride - hubbie, son, me so I'm in the left track. (I don't like an audience. hahaha) Hubbie turns into my full-time track coach. hahaha. We still go single track when we hit the twisties.

eugenions

Reaction score
Visit site
I would say the wheelie is a hard thecnique to master, since many people ride bike for decades, enter the corners very lean but dont have the balls to lift up the front wheel and keep going. there's got to be a lot of control in the trhotle and in some cases rear brake to do so.
here's me trying to do it:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyI_fTURyRs]Empinando na Yamaha Fazer 600 - Fz6 Wheelie - YouTube[/ame]

Kingwu

Reaction score
Visit site
i know this is the lady's section... and i'm not misti...
but we have a few hills around here. i too am short and can't flat foot the bike. i have to stop on my tiptoes. here's what i do when on an incline.

- come to a stop in first gear squeezing clutch and front brake.
- slowly let out the clutch
- at the friction zone you will feel the rear of the bike start to "lift" and the front start to "dive"
- at this point i can usually let off the front brake and the bike will stay put
- to take off start to give a little throttle and let the clutch out a little more

it takes a little bit of practice but after a while you'll get it. if you can find a loading dock at a shop/factory or behind a store they are a great place to practice.

i look forward to hearing if misti has a better technique to help us shorter people out.

I'm not a female either but I also had this problem! I was on an incline, and as I tried to go I stalled and started to roll back.
Held the front brakes, started up the bike holding both the clutch and front brake.
I let go of the clutch a little bit so I can inch a bit forward so the car behind me doesn't sh** their pants:thumbup:
My hand slowly releasing the front brake as i'm slowly letting off the clutch (no throttle until I'm on the street)
Then I speed off Blah:thumbup::rockon:

Edit: I'm a very very new rider. Less than 50 miles :rockon:

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not a female either but I also had this problem! I was on an incline, and as I tried to go I stalled and started to roll back.
Held the front brakes, started up the bike holding both the clutch and front brake.
I let go of the clutch a little bit so I can inch a bit forward so the car behind me doesn't sh** their pants:thumbup:
My hand slowly releasing the front brake as i'm slowly letting off the clutch (no throttle until I'm on the street)
Then I speed off Blah:thumbup::rockon:

Edit: I'm a very very new rider. Less than 50 miles :rockon:

On my recent road trip I had to stop halfway up on a bridge with a steep incline (6-8%). I was nervous about starting out too. The car behind us stopped on my tail. When traffic started up, I just let out the clutch, revved up the engine a bit, and then slowly let off the front brake. I pulled away like I was a pro. I was thrilled!!! This is my third season (around 15,000 miles under my belt) so, give yourself time and experience, you will master all needed techniques. Don't be afraid to give it some throttle, as long as you don't dump the clutch or brake, you will be fine. Give it a try when you are in a controlled condition - empty parking lot for instance.

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
OK - so I reread a technique book about delaying your apex. So, I am a teacher with a Master's Degree so usually I am not too stupid, but in this instance I was having a hard time. I thought apex meant the line my bike took, but really "apex" means that closest you get to the white line for a right turn or yellow line for a left turn. On a girls only ride last weekend, I tried to focus on picking the spot where I would get closest to this line. Left hand curves, worked great. Right not so much. I finally took a microscope to what I was doing on a lefthand corner vs. righthand corner. I figured it out! On the left hand corners, I kept my elbow tucked into my side. On the righthand corners, I didn't . I stuck the damn thing out to the side for some reason. I started make sure I tucked my elbow to my side. AND now every right hand corner is just as smooth as the left hand corner. Blah:cheer:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OK - so I reread a technique book about delaying your apex. So, I am a teacher with a Master's Degree so usually I am not too stupid, but in this instance I was having a hard time. I thought apex meant the line my bike took, but really "apex" means that closest you get to the white line for a right turn or yellow line for a left turn. On a girls only ride last weekend, I tried to focus on picking the spot where I would get closest to this line. Left hand curves, worked great. Right not so much. I finally took a microscope to what I was doing on a lefthand corner vs. righthand corner. I figured it out! On the left hand corners, I kept my elbow tucked into my side. On the righthand corners, I didn't . I stuck the damn thing out to the side for some reason. I started make sure I tucked my elbow to my side. AND now every right hand corner is just as smooth as the left hand corner. Blah:cheer:

Well done! There's nothing wrong with sticking your elbows out for turns, but if you find more control when your elbows are tucked in, then go with that approach.

So what have you learned about delaying apexes? Why use that technique on the street? What about the left hand apexes (yellow lines).. how close do you want to get to them?

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
So what have you learned about delaying apexes? Why use that technique on the street? What about the left hand apexes (yellow lines).. how close do you want to get to them?

Delayed apexes are important in lefthand corners to avoid any cars that come into your lane. This happened to me a few weeks ago. I didn't panic because I was over to the right in my lane and the car didn't come close to me; however, I did change my line to the right more just in case.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Delayed apexes are important in lefthand corners to avoid any cars that come into your lane. This happened to me a few weeks ago. I didn't panic because I was over to the right in my lane and the car didn't come close to me; however, I did change my line to the right more just in case.

:thumbup: :thumbup: