Has anyone put a Superbrace on their FZ6 yet.

FAZERRIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I will get a superbrace for my bike. I think it would make a big difference in the way it handles. I was going 100 klm/hr the other day when I hit a rough spot on the road and it went into a bad speed wobble. I got her to come out of it ok but I really hate when that happens. Went into one on another bike I had years ago at 160 klm/hr and managed not to crash then either. Lucky! I think this superbrace will work well but I was wondering if anyone else tried it yet. Check them out. The one I want is black and costs around $190. If it works its worth every penny.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
if you are really concerned about this, why not get a true steering dampener? These don't seem like they will do much, especially for the price, but I have no first hand experience with them, but seems like you would be better off spending the $200 on a steering dampener.

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
Rider1A has one, I saw it when we met up in Roswell. I've thought about getting one as well, just need to make sure it will still fit with the R6 forks. Supposedly it keeps the forks from flexing, but I primarily wanted it just to fill some of the gap between the fender and the fairing:BLAA:

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would agree with the steering dampner comment, or even whack the cash on internal fork mods. A brace isn't going to offer as much improvement, %-wise, as the above, and will cost more, value-wise, than the others.

FAZERRIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
If I go with an internal upgrade what should I get done to it? I know of a place in the city that rebuilds shocks and forks. I guess they would know what I need done. I would like to have it rebuilt so I can adjust it.

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ohlin and Racetech have aftermarket replacement front fork springs that will help cure your problem. I just purchased a rear Ohlin and will do the front next winter. The stock oil is crap and sometimes just changing that can help a lot.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
You know I have wondered about this myself. Older bikes used to have them. (Most were cleverly disguised as part of the front fender) I'm amazed that today's superbikes do not have them standard, especially with hollow axles and all. It seems to me that this is not only asking a lot more from the front suspension but it is designing in a weak link that could be omitted. Perhaps you are onto something my friend.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I think the biggest reason you don't see more fork braces on the market, is due to the much larger diameter fork legs in use, compared to 20-30 years ago. Stiffness goes up dramatically with larger diameter. Even more so with the inverted fork designs.... the outer/upper leg is HUGE, compared to 30 years back.

The shorter the thinner section, the less bend and flex in the system. Again, inverted makes for a much stiffer, and therefore much more supple fork.

A brace couldn't hurt.... but I don't think it's going to produce any noticeable improvement. Certainly not as much as re-valving, and using good springs would.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with you about fork diameter increasing rigidity, not to mention inverted forks. What's your take on hollow axles though? They have to flex as they are merely just a very small pipe, (allowing each leg of the forks to give somewhat separately instead of together). Agreed that a force brace couldn't hurt.

Terri_One

Reaction score
Visit site
i have a superbrace on the 2007 FZ6S2.

And Yes, it does make a difference when sweeping big corners and going over bumps, potholes etc. Bike is more stable and feels more "at one". Diving on the front end when braking is reduced too, and i already have the Traxxion fork springs.

IMHO, the functions of a brace and a steering damper is different.

My vote for this is YES.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I agree with you about fork diameter increasing rigidity, not to mention inverted forks. What's your take on hollow axles though? They have to flex as they are merely just a very small pipe, (allowing each leg of the forks to give somewhat separately instead of together). Agreed that a force brace couldn't hurt.

My understanding of the mechanical principals involved in axles is that the hollow ones are in fact more rigid than a solid axle would be.... at least one that had the same mass.

If you were to take a one pound steel bar and make a solid axle out of it it would be something like 1" diameter, and 10" long. Stiff. If you were to drill out the center of that 1" diameter, removing all but the outer 1/4", you'd take out the center 1/2" of the pipe...... and it would still be just as stiff. The thickness of the walls, and the diameter are what make it rigid.

You can go further with this...... the same 1lb of steel, and put that on a 3" diameter hollow axle.... the walls are much thinner for the same total mass....... but that 3" diameter axle would be much stiffer in flex than the 1" solid.

Ducati uses hollow tubular space frames`..... very light weight, pretty thin side walls on the pipes..... very, very rigid. Lots of little triangles make very stiff structures. This is why radio towers are all triangles, darn near in a honey comb. You can build monster structures with very little mass, that are incredibly rigid.

eiffel-tower-day.jpg

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
i have a superbrace on the 2007 FZ6S2.

And Yes, it does make a difference when sweeping big corners and going over bumps, potholes etc. Bike is more stable and feels more "at one". Diving on the front end when braking is reduced too, and i already have the Traxxion fork springs.

IMHO, the functions of a brace and a steering damper is different.

My vote for this is YES.

I completely agree that a fork brace and a steering damper do completely different things.... the damper is only useful for controlling 'tank slappers'. It's quite literally a shock absorber for runaway oscillations of the steering.

A fork brace provides another point of connection bridging the legs of the fork. It's purpose is to ensure the fork legs travel in parallel to each other. Similar to adding another triangle to the bracing... makes the lower legs more rigid.

I'm interested in your assertion that it improves fork action and reduces dive under braking...... reducing dive would happen if the fork legs were binding more, not less as the result of your brace. Much more likely that you have installed stronger springs, to resist 'dive'.:thumbup:

If you are getting less dive in the fork, that is almost certainly due to the Traxxion fork springs, and has nothing to do with the brace. If anything, the brace should be giving you BETTER fork action, by making the lower legs slide along the 'uppers' with less resistance.:rockon:

If the fork does not compress as readily, the 'trail' is not consumed, which makes the front end much more consistent when you corner the bike. When the forks compress, the steering becomes more 'nervous' and the whole bike will become twitchy. That can really mess up the line you though you were choosing through a corner. :eek:

FAZERRIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
I think it is a worth while mod from what I see on there site. I may have to upgrade the fork springs as well. I would like to be able to adjust the tension on them. I think the brace will help in other ways the fork kit will not. Thanks for your input folks. I will let you guys know what I think of it after its done.