He was my friend for 15 years............

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Now he has gone.
My border collie Toby passed away in my arms at 9:30 this morning.
He has not been well for a couple of months,he seemed to lose control of his back legs ,I havent been able to walk him for two weeks(I will miss that).

I went out the back to feed him before work this morning and he had fallen in the night and was head first in the drain for the outside tap,I thought he had gone.

I picked him up and guided him to his food ,he took two steps and collapsed and couldn't get up,I knew this was coming but it was not any easier .I sat with him for two hours and tried to feed him,he would not eat or drink.

I rang the vet and they got him in straight away ,but it was not good.
He had no feeling in one rear leg,elevated heart beat and uncontrollable flinching in the front legs,they said it was time.

I signed the papers(I could not leave him like that) and waited for my wife to get there,he took some liver treats while we waited.

The vet said there was no chance ,Mandy protested ,but it was obvious .She left the room while I sat with him while he passed.

I took him home and buried him under a fruit tree with a tennis ball and a photo of me,took me 3 hours coz I had to keep stopping.

RIP Toby...........best friend I ever had.

Oh man.... So sorry to hear that.. Its hard to lose a pet.. They become one of the family.. He had a great life with you.. So many dogs dont get the chance to be loved. Toby did....

rbowx.gif
Rainbow Bridge
rbowx.gif

[SIZE=+1]Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

[/SIZE]

I'm really sorry for your loss.

It is not easy to go through what you're going through.

It won't make it any easier but I'm sure you were not only his best friend but his life, and I'm sure you have many many good memories that will never be forgotten.

I'm sorry,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So sorry Mick.

They are part of the family, aren't they.

I have 2 labs - 12 years old. I am dreading the day......

Thoughts are with you

Mick, it's been four years since I lost my two Corgis, and your story brought it all back... Take care man, and know that he had a happy life with you.

Man i'm sorry to hear that.... my little dog bubbles died and i've never been able to own another dog since.....broke my heart.... :(

I am so sorry, we know their time with us is short, it never makes it any easier. I was truly saddened by your story. My heart goes out to you and your family.

Had to have my 12 year old pure bread golden retriever put down about 6 years ago for the same thing but she had cancer on her mouth for her last 4 years. She was a great dog miss her waging tail everyday. sorry for your loss!:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Ohh crap Mick , so sorry to hear about the loss of your long time mate & much loved family member :(

I know what your going through mate having been there before & not that long ago so it still hits a nerve :( Time heals but they are never forgotten...

I find it easiest to share the love you had for Toby with a new puppy, works for me but only you can tell when the times right :thumbup:

Man, sorry to hear that...

Dogs are especially odd; they can be SO personable and one can get SO attached to them, but they just don't live that long relative to us. Sounds like you gave him a good happy life though.

My condolences, sad times indeed....I cant even think about a life without my little Wondergirl. Take care

Sorry to hear it mate, but sounds like you had 15 good years, so that's to be cherished, not commiserated. All the best for now, and hope you find another furry mate when the time is right .

Sorry to hear about the loss Mick. But remember, he's in a better place now and not suffering anymore. As a fellow dog person, I can feel your pain and have been here many times before. Others have said it, the pain subsides, but the memories will last forever.

Man, that sucks.....I lost my dog a few years back, he lived till 21, and he was my shadow....

He will never be forgetton, as i know Toby wont be either....

Remember the good times Mick.

Back