head set trouble

head set?? need to be a little more specific... are you talking like headset for an ipod or cd player.. or like head bearings???

sounds liek you need to put some loc-tite on the locknut to get it to not loosen up.. i have heard of simmilar issues.. i believe the solution was loc-tite but not 100% on that.. someone else might have a better idea.. hope that helps..

They suck, get All Balls and be happy. Best $30.00 you'll spend on the Fizzer.

They won't fix a loose lock nut but they are infinitely better than the stock ball bearings.

Oh and...:welcome:

someone really needs to post a how to or im just going to pay the shop to do it.. i think i might just have the shop do the bearings and the r6 mod for me...

LE, I had my local shop do the R6 fork swap for me since I'm so mechanically dysfunctional. They charged me for one hour's worth of time ($65) and it turned out great. But, I got lucky.

When I asked, the mechanic told the service manager that he could do it easily in an hour. So they quoted me that one hour rate. But when I actually took it in, it took the guy 3 1/2 hours to complete it. When I went back to pick it up, they said it would be almost $200 and I freaked out! It was a different manager ringing me up and luckily, the other manager that was there when the mechanic quoted the hour's worth of work time walked by. I told him what was going on and he asked me, in front of this other manager, what the mechanic quoted. I said one hour, or $65. He looked at the other guy and said, then that's what we have to charge. The second manager wasn't happy, but that was the deal, so there really wasn't anything he could say about it.

As far as the All Balls goes...I'd like to do this at some point, but as I understand it, this is the sort of thing that's left to the pros. Am I right? I've heard you need some sort of tool or something.

If the problem is simply the headbearing locknut coming loose, then it is not being done up tight enough. The design is the same as for pretty much any Japanese head bearing and is reliable. You will need something like 100Nm.
Another possibility is that the washer under the nut is missing, but this seems unlikely. Also check the tightness of the bolts clamping the fork stanchions in the triple clamps.

I did the All Balls swap about 4K miles ago and I am very happy. I did it myself and it was really pretty easy if you are a half way decent back yard mechanic. The reason I replaced the OEM bearings is because the front end had become noticeably loose. When I started checking I found that the steering head bearing retaining nuts were about 1 turn loose. And of course my pet peeve, the bearings were completely rusted.

Since I did the replacement, the bearings have never needed retightening. I'll try and find the link where I posted a couple of tips from my bearing swap out and post a link in this thread. I would suggest a search as well since a lot of people have had this problem and done the swap out.

Back