Headlight issues...(ASAP)

New Problem : - (

Okay so i reconnected everything today, and magically the headlights now work. Took my beloved bike on it's first drive since i crashed back in may. Started off slow, then eventually hit the freeway. Felt great to be going that fast again. I take an exit and start down shifting as I head toward the red light. Upon hitting neutral the bike gets quiet...too quite. It died, and wouldn't start back up. Still has power to it, but as soon as I try to start it, it quickly dies and the screen goes blank. If I try it again there's a clicking sound. Really appreciate any help/advice. Took a quick video, but the quality sucks cuz it's on my phone...

Re: New Problem : - (

Start by checking the charge on the battery. Check all the connections to be sure they are tight.

Re: New Problem : - (

The clicking sound certainly sounds like there is not enough power in the battery. They seem to lose power at an alarming rate.

Leave the battery on charge overnight and the problem will probably be solved.

It needs to be fully charged.

Steve

I didn't want to leave my bike in that area of town for too long so my friend drove me back down there in his truck. As soon as I get there I check the battery cables and they're tight. Just to see I try to start it and it does w/a little hesitation. Jump on it and tell him to follow me. About a mile down I'm coming to a red light again and start slowing down. I happen to look down and see the engine light come on just before the the screen went completely blank, but I let out the clutch and gave it a little gas. Screen stays blank, but it continues running for another 10 second before I have to downshift again where it finally dies...

Not sure what happened as my link didn't show in the above message I'll try again & hopefully someone will be able to tell me if this mod will suit my bike or not
BikePics - 2006 Yamaha FZ6S

Hi Oz:

From the picture your bike looks just like mine, so I'm sure the mod as described on the threads will work.

If you need additional help later, i suggest you start a new thread, since this one is really for the poor guy who's electrical system has gremlins.

Goodluck.

Lewis

Hi Oz:

From the picture your bike looks just like mine, so I'm sure the mod as described on the threads will work.

If you need additional help later, i suggest you start a new thread, since this one is really for the poor guy who's electrical system has gremlins.

Goodluck.

Lewis

Hi Lewis ........... thanks mate thats all I need to know..........I should be ok from now on looks pretty straight forward......I don't envy anyone with electrical probs some are easy & some can take ages to track thanks again

So is it my best bet to take it to the auto store and have them charge the battery???

I would invest in my own charger, it is just a good thing to have for your bike and car. (Never know when your going to leave that dome light on?)

Anyway, I have not seen any reply about examining your wiring harness at least in the areas that were damaged by the accident? There could be a broken wire somewhere that is causing your battery not to charge?

I think that if you find that the bike runs OK with the fully charged battery, then test the voltage of the battery when the engine is running and make sure you are at 13.5 volts at least, otherwise your battery is likely not charging, if the voltage is below 12 volts when running it is definately not charging. So you would be back to trouble shooting.

The manual has a section on troubleshooting the charging system.

Lewis

I talking w/one of my patients(who was a motorcycle mechanicfor almost 20 years), he seems to believe that the stator isn't charging and needs to be replaced. One thing that probably would've helped IF i'd mentioned it is that the cover was cracked in the accident and all the oil leaked out. Instead of replacing everything I tried to just do the cover itself...:shakehead:

Last edited:
Back