Headlight Problem

Dram45

Reaction score
Visit site
I noticed some wiring on the rhs of my 07 FZ6sa looked bodged, so I set about removing insulating tape with a view to tidying it up. I noticed that it had been 'modded' but the wire cut, so I removed this and replaced the light's connector block with a new one from Halfords. Left is works as normal. The rhs headlight light no longer works and neither does the rhs indicator. Here's a rundown of what I've checked...

1.'mod' removed (wire from spare connector on rhs light to green/brown switch wire)
2. rhs connector replaced
3. headlight bulb and indicator checked and good
4. two new connections for the replaced block checked and sound
5. with rhs block out, 0v across pins on 'dip' and 12v on 'full'
6. continuity of earths appear good
7. voltage drops to 0v across pins when tested with bulb in place, engine running and switch on 'full'

Yes, the engine was running when I checked the bulbs :D

Any ideas welcome...

Last edited:
Lets' indicate what lamps we are talking about by referring to them as H7 and H4. I say this because left or right side headlamps may be opposite in some countries because of what side of the road we drive on. :)

H7 is a single filament with 2 prongs.
H4 is a dual filament with 3 prongs.

The H7 is used as a lo-beam.
The H4 is used as a hi-beam. but only 1 filament is used and the other is dorment on the faired version.

The lo beam H7 will have a black with green tracer wire and a black wire which is the ground

The hi beam H4 will have a black with yellow tracer wire and a black wire which is ground.

Last edited:
:Sport:

Sorted !

Had a cuppa and a re-think. Didn't reckon it was anything too technical and I was right. A simple 'back to basics' approach worked. I separated the relevant connector blocks, dug out the wiring diagram and started checking continuity.

Took me longer to write this than to find the fault - I was simply over-confident in the quality of my connections. Power feed to RHS was not properly made and this also provides feed for the indicator.

:D

Back