Headlights Died After Crash

squirell008

Reaction score
Visit site
So, I laid my bike down on the right side at about 30mph. Well, my headlight assembly, cowling, and various other plastic pieces are done for and I'm currently looking to either replace them (if anyone knows of some for sale).

However, my current concern is getting my headlights working again. They both went out after the crash, and I can't get them back on again. I've checked the fuse under the right side cover (which was damaged in the crash) and it looked fine, but I replaced it anyway just to be sure. Both bulbs look good, and none of the visible wiring shows any sign of damage. My turn signals and back light all work fine, so I'm kind of out of ideas.

Any clue what could be causing this?

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Check the ground side of the circuit, as well. The juice has to get back to the battery as well. If you have 'eyeballed' the fuses, that doesn't mean they are good... check them with a meter for continuity. (or swap one in from another location to check)

I assume you are trying to get them to light, when the motor is running? They are locked off, until the engine starts....

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Check the bulbs, the filments might have broken with such a hard hit.

squirell008

Reaction score
Visit site
Check the bulbs, the filments might have broken with such a hard hit.

Bulbs look good, but I will buy a new one to see if that's it.

I checked the ground and swapped the fuse with a tested, new fuse and still nothing.

The headlights will not come on whether the bike is running or not.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Bulbs look good, but I will buy a new one to see if that's it.

I checked the ground and swapped the fuse with a tested, new fuse and still nothing.

The headlights will not come on whether the bike is running or not.

If you have a DMM, and you check for continuity pin to pin on the headlight, you'll know if it's good or not.

It's possible the relay that enables the headlight is not functional... either damaged, or the connectors are loose. Check the relays in the pods under the seat.... I seem to recall the headlight controller being the second from the back, in the left pod as you sit on the bike. The signal that fires that relay comes from the ECU... you may have a loose connection at either end of that line.

I haven't paid attention to whether the running lights, and brake lights all come on when you turn the key, or are delayed until the motor is running.... I suspect they come on immeditately.

squirell008

Reaction score
Visit site
The headlights now work! I'm not sure what the culprit it, but I took the bike out for a short ride, and when I came back I plugged the bulbs back in and they lit up.

We'll see if I encounter any more problems, but thanks for all the help guys!

I'm new to this forum, but I have to say that everyone here has been very helpful so far.