headset fsake

fcukyeah

Reaction score
Visit site
:eek:had to tighten the lock nut on my effin headset bering today again , how doe's it keep going lose ???? and yes the lock washer is there . help tell me what to do ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !:(

Sorry, but I've got to start with a, possibly dumb, question:
Are you aware that there are two nuts on the headset?

Since there are two nuts, it's important to undo the top (locking) nut and do the tension adjustment with the lower nut.

Then check the tension by putting the wheel against a wall or applying the front brake and trying to rock the bike. If it's loose, you'll be able to feel a slight "knock" in the steering, located up at the top clamp area. If it's too tight, the steering will feel difficult to turn.

Either way -- too loose or too tight -- are bad for their respective reasons.

Once you've got the tension set correctly, then you use the top nut to "lock down" the assembly. Be sure to hold a wrench on the lower nut as you tighten the upper down against it. You just want to keep it from turning, as you're tightening the lock nut. Otherwise, you'll just be turning the lower nut at the same time, screwing up your wonderful adjustment work...

Then you put the chrome top nut over the adjustment assembly.

If it loosens up again, I'd begin to suspect worn bearings or races.

thank's
yes iam aware of the two lock nut's and have tightened it up ,only 8000 on the clock , so thought the bering would be ok , have you heard of the fz having prob's with this ? is it hard too replace the bering or is it a shop job ?

Yes many people have had bearing issues with even less than 8000 miles.
It's not the easiest job, but it's not incredibly difficult either.
I'd suggest replacing them with a set of AllBallz tapered bearings.

:ban:that's not the point my friend it's easy ive done it loads of time myself , but **** that its a design **** up by yamaha and i don't want too do it every time i change the oil :spank:

If it's loosening up that frequently, I'd be concerned that the bearings were going bad. Lots of us (myself included) have had to replace the bearings because they were rusted to crap - with less miles than you have. Here's how mine looked (and the nuts were less than finger tight)

Back