Help bike dies when I pull in the clutch

Morningman

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi I have and 05 fz6 with 28000 miles on it I just bought 2 moths ago from a friend of a friend. After I have been riding the bike for about 15-20mins and the bike is warmed up It starts to run really rich and has a rough idle and I pull in the clutch to tart slowing down or stop the engine dies.And to start it back up i have to keep the throttle cracked. I can completely shut down the bike off for about 3mins and turn the key back on and start the bike and the idle is back up at normal until i ride the bike for about 15 mins. I have just recently did an oil change and had Yamaha do the valve check and throttle body sync and replaced the spark pulgs aswell as replace the cooling fan because the fan motor had locked up and was robbing amperage from the fuel system. Any help and advice would be great.

Thanks
David.

:welcome: to this awesome forum! :rockon:

If the fan locks up, it blows the fuse. Who told you it was robbing the fuel system?

How do you know it's running rich? Having to open the throttle for more air might be an indicator. :)

If it is running rich, the ECU may not know the engine is at temperature. This could be a bad sensor or the wire that goes to the ECU.

What does your temp gauge read?

There are many reasons the engine may not run right once heated.

The most common thing I've read on this forum for stalling engines is incorrect idle adjustment. Have you tried adjusting your idle or does your idle sit around 1300 rpm?

The yamaha Mechanic told me this about the fan,

Previousley befor he repalced the fan ontop of the bike dying it would surge really badly and get worse the longer it was ridden. some days my idle will stay and 1300rpm all day long and never have an issues and others it will drop down to about 700rpm. They way i know it is running rich is by smell of the exhaust. I have had 2 other mechanics that were riding behind me say it was running really rich and occasionally if i get into the trottle pretty hard it would start to have greyish black smoke come ou tof the tailpipes.

And the temp gauge stays about 1 bar above the middle on the digital read out.

Other things that could cause a fueling problem are TPS (throttle position sensor) Air temperature sensor and coolant temperature sensor.

There is a way to check your TPS. http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...ou-experiencing-poor-idle-mileage-stalls.html

The 05 FZ6 did have a factory recall for the TPS. You should be able to ask your yamaha dealer to check your serial number to see that your bike has had the TPS changed.

If you're loosing compression as the engine heats it could be because of bad valve lash clearance.

Other things that can cause unstable idle and mixture are vacuum leaks. Check all hoses including rubber throttle body mounts.

Last edited:
Other things that could cause a fueling problem are TPS (throttle position sensor) Air temperature sensor and coolant temperature sensor.

There is a way to check your TPS. http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...ou-experiencing-poor-idle-mileage-stalls.html

The 05 FZ6 did have a factory recall for the TPS. You should be able to ask your yamaha dealer to check your serial number to see that your bike has had the TPS changed.

If you're loosing compression as the engine heats it could be because of bad valve lash clearance.

Other things that can cause unstable idle and mixture are vacuum leaks. Check all hoses including rubber throttle body mounts.

+1 on the TPS re-call...

I'd find another shop, or at least another mechanic as that understands how the blown fuse/fan would NOT rob the engine of electric, especially for the FI system...

Did they give you the spec's of the valve check specificially?

From your desription, it sounds like it is indeed running very rich (should have been noticed during the spark plug change). Cracking the throttle to start it is allowing more air (leaning it out some).

I would think it would throw a code, especially IF the engine thinks its COLD ALL the time, it will run extremely rich.

BTW, a normal running engine, when started cold, will idle approx 3-400 RPM's above a normal HOT IDLE of 1,300. **Is your idle HIGH when COLD and does it drop down within (depending on ambiant temps) 2-3 minutes of idleing/warming up?

Last edited:
Back