Help me choose my first replacement tires

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So, original poster - how did those RoadSmart II's do for you last summer?

Isn't it an AWESOME feeling when you put those new tires on? :D

I commute 6.3 miles to work every day I can ride. The ride home is usually longer. For fun I run the twisties of WV & southeastern OH - great roads. And every now and then I log some 100+ interstate miles to get to point B. I'm certain I could get better miles if I'd do fewer launches down the on-ramps.

In 2014 I used a pair of RS II's to replace the original front and a RoadSmart I rear that came from the previous owner. I got 6500 miles but the last 500 were probably (badlly) pushing it. The grip and handling were great. My only complaint was that the front started cupping in the last 1,000 or so.

Spring of 2015 I replaced those with Pilot Road 4's. Grip and handling are similarly great. Though wet grip seems a bit better than the Dunlops. I have almost 7,000 on them now and have a new set of PR4's in the garage, and yes I am again overdue to get them mounted. Though the rear is in better shape than the RSII's were at 6000. The best improvement over the RSII's is that the front has not developed any cupping. I read on Michelin's site that all of those cross sipes on the front tires are a feature meant to prevent cupping. I think they did the job.

Chris

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I went from dunlops as I bought it to Metzler z-8's that was such an excellent move- now on PR4's. I wasnt convinced at first but now I love em just as much as the z8's turn in is fast and they seem to be pretty good in the wet.

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
Loved my PR 1's never left doubt. The pr2 that replaced them was even better with longer miles. And was ready to jump to the 3 or 4 but sold my tiger.

On the fz the wife ran bt23 and was happy with them. They seemed to last decent and both wore out about the same time.

Have a set of new shinko ravens on there now. But not enough miles to say one way or the other yet.

I went darkside on my current bike , but that is a whole different game!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Taz3

Reaction score
Visit site
I second Shoop! I'm curious how the OP's tires held up for him. Seems you kind of wanted something between a single and dual compound lol.

I'm really surprised no one mentioned Pirelli Angel ST or GT's!!! They ranked either tied or just above or just behind the PR4's in all the reviews I checked out. I ride early in the season to late in the seaon for the most part, and ride a good deal in the rain as well on trips or whatever and even sometimes commuting, so I went with the Angel's due to them being ranked better in the wet and better in cold conditions. I ordered, and originally was going to pay, for the GT's (dual compound) but the guys at Rosy Toes put on ST's (single compound). Mistakes happen, maybe Ted got confused, maybe his mechanics did... but then his mechanics tried telling me there was NO difference between the two tires. I started explaining the differences to him, and then he said it's just a heavier bike rating, for big cruisers, which is also very wrong. And then he finally resorted to telling me that regardless which tire I got, it was a good deal for tires and installation so I should just pay and go away happy. I was pretty livid until I called Ted on his cell and he apologised and gave me a deal on the ST's and promised he'd give me a deal on my next set too lol.

Anyway, loving the ST's. Everything they were cracked up to be. Never taken a tire to the edge before this one, didn't really notice, holding shape nicely despite commuting and hwy and whatnot, very surefooted in cold and rain.