Help me 'fit' a leather jacket

4drfocus

Rurouni
Reaction score
Visit site
I've decided pamper myself this year and buy a leather riding jacket, I've noticed most leathers are 'chest' sized in 2 inch increments, while textiles and mesh are sized in 3-4 inch increments , just measured my chest today and it's 41 3/4 inches, problem is my shoulders are broad, but my torso is slender, I wear large shirts, and medium pants, should I order a size 42 or 44 ?

What do you FZ riders suggest?

Bill

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd order a 44. This way you can add a layer under your jacket if need be. PLUS if you are like me and you get stuck in a rain shower and your coat will shrink some. However, I havent ordered a leather coat without trying one on first. A few years ago I ordered a two piece Tourmaster suit. I tried on what I thought was my size... ended up ordering 2 sizes larger.

Sent from my "slow as a Harley" Sprint Network cell phone.

Last edited:

4drfocus

Rurouni
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, Bill.

I would buy one in store, but no one in a 100 miles radius stocks armored leather jackets, the site I'm shopping on offers a 30 day trial period with free returns and exchanges.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
Tbh I'd suggest the opposite, and go for the 42 maybe even 40. Leather will stretch with time, so you want something that feels a little tight.

That said brands vary a lot, I wear a size 40 dainese textile jacket, a size 38 dainese leather jacket, a 42 1-piece spidi leather suit, and a medium RST mesh jacket.

Go for shoulder fit first, chest size will follow. I have broad shoulders/narrow waist, work out in the gym etc. My 1 piece was so tight across the chest when I had the back and chest armour fitted that it constricted my breathing, but it quickly stretched to fit me.

For reference I fit mostly medium t-shirts (I fill them out but they aren't skin tight)

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also, keep in mind, if you wear a heated vest or liner in the winter, its usually worn just over a t-shirt, then the jacket.

I have two leather jackets, one very old(I bought used off a friend), (European design-my fav) which fits tight. The other, more standard looking, is a bit looser (got it at the 2005 Atlanta MC show vendor).

Besides the above, get on the bike and ride with it on and make sure it isn't uncomfortable in the arms/ arm pit area (in the riding position especially). You don't want it loose around the waist or cold air will get in. Same around the neck area, not too loose, not too tight.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah that's a good point, I always try to sit on a bike when I try them on.

I find with my cheap RST jacket that it can cut the blood supply off to my arms a little if I am wearing a lot underneath it. Interestingly I tried the same model dainese leather jacket on a couple of years later and it felt too small. Sadly my original one was cut off me when I crashed.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah that's a good point, I always try to sit on a bike when I try them on.

I find with my cheap RST jacket that it can cut the blood supply off to my arms a little if I am wearing a lot underneath it. Interestingly I tried the same model dainese leather jacket on a couple of years later and it felt too small. Sadly my original one was cut off me when I crashed.

I would personally ride for at least a hour. A slight pinch (uncomfortable spot), would show up (as well as any other issues) before you commit to buy..:thumbup:

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
One other option you should think about is to buy an armored shirt, like the knox venture or the forcefield pro shirt and wear a non armored leather jacket on top.

This allows you to chose from more classic brands, like Schott, Vanson, etc and still get equal if not better protection!

The advantages of that is that you get better armor quality, as most jackets come with little more than yoga mat foam padding, that will not move around in case of a crash.
You also get a jacket that you will be able to use when not on the bike without looking like a power ranger.

The disadvantage is that you have two things to wear and carry around instead of one.

Personally this is how i do it, Knox Venture and a Schott 644 or a Lewis Leathers 511

Also, when it gets cold i just wear one of these under between the armored shirt and the jacket, it's amazing how warm it is considering it is thinner than a human hair!

http://www.thermalshop.co.uk/product/innershell__jacket_black

Last edited:

4drfocus

Rurouni
Reaction score
Visit site
Good advice, thanks.

I'll start with the size 44, the jacket I want has full ce approved armor, and a winter liner, so that should take up some interior space, since it's still chilly outside I can put layers under it and test the fitment, comes with a 30 day trial period.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I find most riding apparel runs a tad small. I always order the larger size especially when I am sizing Jackets (have bought 4)