Help me name my company! :D

My pick for a good name for an architectural design firm dealing mostly with residential projects:

• Perfect Plans

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Pure Design

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Precision Plans

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Fine Design

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • True Design

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other: I have offered my own suggestion and will post it in this thread.

Votes: 9 32.1%

• Total voters

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all,

I have just opened a small residential design office and could really use some help picking a name. My first two options were shot down because they are protected names even though there aren't any companies by those names here.

Ideally I'd like a name that suggests we are a one-stop shop so I am open to suggestions and would actually really appreciate it.

So, I have started this poll. Pick the name you like best. If you don't like them and can think of one better, pick "I like my suggestion better" and kindly post a suggestion.

I will explain why I picked my first pick (that was shot down) to help shed some insight into where I'm going with it.

Total Design
Your complete design solution

Clients come in with a site plan and general concept of what they would like to see in a design for their home. Some people have a very good idea what they want, others not so much. I show them a handful of plans from the library of designs I have and they pick one that they like best. We then mark it up with changes they would like and the process begins. It ends when they have received architectural approval and their plans are finalized. They then carry on with their application process with the City etc. I have an engineering firm that works with me and they take care of the engineering drawings these people need for that application process. Then the remaining drawings they need come from a truss/floor layout design firm that is also working with us.

So....one stop shop. But I do the architectural and the other two companies are separate and operated by others. But it is presented as a one stop design solution.

We also do small commercial stuff but not as much. Ideally I'd like a name that suggests we are a one-stop shop so I am open to suggestions and would actually really appreciate it.

Options:

Perfect Plans
Quality designs for less. The perfect option.

Pure Design
Nothing but quality. Everything you need.

Precision Plans
Perfection personified.

Fine Design
Your complete design solution

True Design
The highest quality. The lowest prices.

Thanks for any feedback! It is very much appreciated.

Cheers.

Last edited:

TheRabbi

Reaction score
Visit site
As a random thought, I would highly recommend avoiding mention of low cost. It is simply impossible to provide the highest quality at the lowest cost, maybe you deliver the greatest value but it will never be the highest quality at the lowest cost. Plus, there is nothing wrong with being expensive as long as you are worth it. We are not the cheapest at what we do (in fact we might be one of the most expensive) but we're damn good at it and we can justify our rates (we have no sales team, so all of our additional work comes from word of mouth from satisfied clients).

It should go without mentioning, but focus on customers and not products/profits/etc. If you show genuine compassion and a desire to help them, even if it means turning down work because they can find a better fit elsewhere, it will lead to future work with them or via their references.

On that note, your name really isn't that important. Our company is an ancient sanskrit word that people can't even pronounce, but that hasn't stopped us from growing at record paces*.
*with the exception of 2009, in the face of the economic downturn we managed to avoid a loss and grow by a few percentage points

Good luck! How could I forget that!? There is so much luck and timing involved with starting a business, it's hard but so worth it. I imagine it's kind of like parenting, not that I would know.

Last edited:

visions

THAT guy
Reaction score
Visit site
Perfect Plans... catchy and I like the alliteration

ps. shameless plug: let me know if you need graphic design work :BLAA:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Desi Designs

Free samosas with every home!

Lol, you should be ashamed of yourself. Terribly, terribly ashamed.

:p

Perfect Plans... catchy and I like the alliteration

ps. shameless plug: let me know if you need graphic design work :BLAA:

Yeah it was between this and True Design initially for me.

Can you PM me your email addy? Easier for me that way. Thanks

As a random thought, I would highly recommend avoiding mention of low cost. It is simply impossible to provide the highest quality at the lowest cost, maybe you deliver the greatest value but it will never be the highest quality at the lowest cost. Plus, there is nothing wrong with being expensive as long as you are worth it. We are not the cheapest at what we do (in fact we might be one of the most expensive) but we're damn good at it and we can justify our rates (we have no sales team, so all of our additional work comes from word of mouth from satisfied clients).

It should go without mentioning, but focus on customers and not products/profits/etc. If you show genuine compassion and a desire to help them, even if it means turning down work because they can find a better fit elsewhere, it will lead to future work with them or via their references.

On that note, your name really isn't that important. Our company is an ancient sanskrit word that people can't even pronounce, but that hasn't stopped us from growing at record paces*.
*with the exception of 2009, in the face of the economic downturn we managed to avoid a loss and grow by a few percentage points

Good luck! How could I forget that!? There is so much luck and timing involved with starting a business, it's hard but so worth it. I imagine it's kind of like parenting, not that I would know.

Very insightful and helpful. Thanks man. I really appreciate the input.

phranK2k11

Chat Camper :)
Reaction score
Visit site
Plan to Perfection
Your Ideas Brought to Life

"Plan to Perfection" suggests a transition from the planing stage to a finished product in one stop style.

What ever you call your business, I wish you the best of luck!! :thumbup:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Perfect Plans
From planning, to perfection!

Perfect Plans
Plan for perfection with perfection in a plan!

Perfect Plans
Plan for perfection!

Perfect Plans
Because bacon that's why.

Rofl sorry it's getting late and I've been here since morning. My brain is turning into mush.

But thanks for the continued help ladies and gents. I'll be registering the name tomorrow morning so really trying to see if one name really draws people. If the numbers are so stacked as to be statistically significant I will really have to pick that one. At the end of the day it doesn't matter what I think since the name is really for the general public to assess. So I really appreciate everyone taking the time to vote. I can't think of anyplace else on the net I'd go to for such a poll. The people here are great and thoughtful.

Last edited:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site

Wow Wow Wow. This truly has to be some of the best small business advice I have ever read!
I am celebrating my 25th year as a small business owner, this is exactly how I have always operated my business and we too are doing just fine.
Quality, stand behind your word, don't be afraid to admit mistakes-just be sure to correct them and return all your calls promptly. Give your customer more than what they expect and treat every customer as how you would expect to be treated. It's that easy even when it's hard to do.

Now parenting? That's a whole different animal :eek: Business is much easier ;)

Last edited:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow Wow Wow. This truly has to be some of the best small business advice I have ever read!
I am celebrating my 25th year as a small business owner, this is exactly how I have always operated my business and we too are doing just fine.
Quality, stand behind your word, don't be afraid to admit mistakes-just be sure to correct them and return all your calls promptly. Give your customer more than what they expect and treat every customer as how you would expect to be treated. It's that easy even when it's hard to do.

Now parenting? That's a whole different animal :eek: Business is much easier ;)

I know that was a great post. I'd have repped it more if I could.

That's actually what's allowed me to start this up. I've got a handful of core customers that I have a great relationship with because they know I want to help them first and make money second. Carrying that forward I am hoping things just grow until winter hits so I have enough momentum to get through it.

Great advice and reinforces what the focus should be for me, especially coming from those of you with the experience in this arena. I suck at business (actually spent 6 months working for pretty much free... :() but I am great with people and can prepare and present designs really well (but still growing and learning obviously).

Anyway, thanks all for all the feedback. This has been a helpful thread.

You guys are awesome!

:thumbup:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
For this type of offering I would go with something that sounds less cookie-cutter / franchise. I would use your last name or something like Rabbi did.

Your name and tag line should exude confidence....not come off as a desperate sales pitch.

Ape Designs
Residential & Commerical Architectural Design

or something...

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
But it IS a desperate sales pitch. Haha....jk? Lol

But that's a really good point. I really wanted Total Design it was perfect.

Hmmmm. Back to the drawing board? I hope people don't mind if I brainstorm again and use the top two options here (which I do quite like as well) and throw in three more new ones that are more....unconventional?

Don't want to be ungrateful and come across as spamming the boards. This has been very helpful.

mayassa

Reaction score
Visit site
Timeless Designs......

I agree do not bring cost into it bring things like value or affordable inspiration

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you considered including what you design in the business name?