Help needed - a couple of issues

andyfazer600

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi folks,

Firstly I'll apologise if someone directs me to an already existing thread with the problem I'm about to explain but I couldn't find anything with similar issues.

So after nearly 7 months of tinkering I finally bolted my bike back together again today. Everything seemed to be going very well until I thumbed the starter hoping for a burst of life! The engine turned over for about 2-3 seconds then stopped to be replaced with a loud clicking noise. I done a bit of chasing and found it to be the starter relay assembly (pic attached). After attempting to start it a couple more time it now won't turn over, all I get is the clicking from the relay. Not being an electrical guru does this mean the relay is goosed?

Also, just for my own peace of mind, I've attached a few photos of the head bearings that I have just re-greased in the hope someone can confirm if I have sufficiently greased them (first time I've ever done it)?

Cheers

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Start with the simple stuff. Make sure the battery is charged. Charge it if needed and get it load tested. If the bike was dormant for a long time that is the most probable place to start. Let us know when you assess its condition.

andyfazer600

Reaction score
Visit site
Start with the simple stuff. Make sure the battery is charged. Charge it if needed and get it load tested. If the bike was dormant for a long time that is the most probable place to start. Let us know when you assess its condition.

The battery has been on a tender since I lay up the bike so I think it is in good condition. The tender displayed a healthy 14.4 volts when I disconnected it this afternoon, also the engine was cranked over on the battery at new year (without a spark) to circulate the oil and was strong.

I forgot to mention I have removed the relay and have a digital voltmeter if there is a way of diagnosing it as faulty. Also the two 30 amp fuses on the relay are good.

Last edited:

DeepBlueRider

Reaction score
Visit site
I done a bit of chasing and found it to be the starter relay assembly (pic attached). After attempting to start it a couple more time it now won't turn over, all I get is the clicking from the relay. Not being an electrical guru does this mean the relay is goosed?
Sounds like your battery died. If you have jump cables you can hook it up to a car (leave car engine off) and start it.

Also, just for my own peace of mind, I've attached a few photos of the head bearings that I have just re-greased in the hope someone can confirm if I have sufficiently greased them (first time I've ever done it)?

Looks enough for me. When I'm doing bearings I'm putting grease into palm of my hand and then I'm pressing bearing into grease and roll it and repeat until whole bearing is lubed.

DeepBlueRider

Reaction score
Visit site
The battery has been on a tender since I lay up the bike so I think it is in good condition. The tender displayed a healthy 14.4 volts when I disconnected it this afternoon, also the engine was cranked over on the battery at new year (without a spark) to circulate the oil and was strong.

I forgot to mention I have removed the relay and have a digital voltmeter if there is a way of diagnosing it as faulty. Also the two 30 amp fuses on the relay are good.

It's possible battery is not holding a charge. So it could had 14.4 after removing from tender but just after you've cranked engine it could drop below usable threshold. I would try jumper cables.

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on DeepBlue's technique. Or you can pick up a bearing greaser for about $10 at harbor freight. They're pretty cool but overkill if you're only doing maintenance on a bike.

You can't really work those steering neck bearings into your palm (unless they're new). They look fine to my untrained eyes.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like your battery died. If you have jump cables you can hook it up to a car (leave car engine off) and start it.

Looks enough for me. When I'm doing bearings I'm putting grease into palm of my hand and then I'm pressing bearing into grease and roll it and repeat until whole bearing is lubed.

Battery -
^^ +1, agreed - sounds like its depth of charge is too low. If all the connections are good AND you place your volt meter across the battery or here (see pic) and test the following this is a fair approximation:

Battery - off charger for 30 min or more: >12.85v
DURING STARTUP - EXPECT something like this:
KEY ON = 12.00V +0.35V/-0.50V (not cranking) ~11.5 to 12.35v
CRANKING = 10.50V +0.25V/-0.50V (cranking) ~ 10 to 10.75v

It's normal for the battery to drop about ~1.5 from static no load to cranking.

Center picture; notice you can reach in with probes and get the red and black wires. These go straight to the battery. But if the tank bolts are out, just go to the battery:
1500RPM144Volts_zps8f013b4a.jpg~original

Bottom line: if when cranking your battery voltage tanks to 7 volts, it has no depth of charge and plates are all sulfated. Although it carries at high float voltage (14.4) its basically junk.

I'd venture to guess that leaving it on the charger hurt it more than it helped it. Connect it to a lamp like H4, H7 and drain it till it hits 11.5V. Charge at 2.5AMPS for ~ 4hrs. Repeat twice and might bounce back. A trickle charge of less than 2.0amps will not bring it back.

^^ +1
Bearings
- just adding this - goal is to force grease into to core so as stated here, with palm up, press bearing section into blob of grease until the grease goes IN one-side and OUT the other. This way you know the interior has been packed with grease! Smearing the outside does not really force it into the inside.

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
I would also say it's your battery IF a dead battery could cause the bike to die after already starting.. therefore, since the battery has no affect on the bikes engine running(obviously starts it, but nothing once its running) it can't be the battery..
just my 0.000001$

andyfazer600

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the help and advice, I'll test the battery with the volt meter later today and report back with my findings

Thanks for the reassurance on the bearings. Before I installed them I worked loads of grease into them with my hands

andyfazer600

Reaction score
Visit site
Results of my battery as follows:

Battery installed but ignition off - 13.06 V
Ignition on (not cranking) - 12.19 V
Cranking - 6.19 V :eek:

Apologies for writing off the first bit of advice received by "Trepetti"

Needless to say a new battery has been purchased, filled with acid and is currently on it's initial charge, hopefully this will solve it!

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Results of my battery as follows:

Battery installed but ignition off - 13.06 V
Ignition on (not cranking) - 12.19 V
Cranking - 6.19 V :eek:

Apologies for writing off the first bit of advice received by "Trepetti"

Needless to say a new battery has been purchased, filled with acid and is currently on it's initial charge, hopefully this will solve it!

I forgive you.. :spank:

Seriously, glad it is a simple problem. You'll be out on the road in no time!

andyfazer600

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for great advice folks, the bike started first time without hesitation after I fitted the new battery tonight :thumbup:

Also got to check my side stand cut out is fixed and working as it should just got the MOT to conquer now