Help picking an Ohlins rear shock

hsq91

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm having a hard time deciding between the Ohlins ya403 vs the ya723. The 403 doesnt have the remote reservoir or compression adjustment. But the price different is +$300.

Anyone have opinions or experience? How important is compression adjustment on the rear?

ped

Reaction score
Visit site
the remote res is more important if your serious into the track. Rebound in general is the big concern with the rear as well. The emulsion shock will suffer from getting more lose in the damping characteristics as it heats up. With the remote res the fluid will stay more consistant in viscosity between temp and heavy use changes.

Either one will be a big improvement and for regular use (outside of racing/hardcore trackdays) you won't be able to tell much difference between them.

hsq91

Reaction score
Visit site
No plans for track or heavy duty use. Just want to upgrade the rear after a full Race tech front makeover.

After some research, I might go with a local SoCal company called Works suspension in Canoga Park. They have an emulsion type with no reservoir for $380 with good reviews.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm having a hard time deciding between the Ohlins ya403 vs the ya723. The 403 doesnt have the remote reservoir or compression adjustment. But the price different is +$300.

Anyone have opinions or experience? How important is compression adjustment on the rear?

Does the newly found product offer adjustment of compression damping, Rebound Damping, preload, eyelet length? The first three are a MUST have IMO.

I'm not saying this is for everyone but I installed an early R1 shock ($50 fleebay) with my OEM spring $0), added an adjuster collar for preload ($50) and the shop re-valved the shock and installed the collar for $150. (long story, but I wasn't charged for this... )

It rides VERY NICE with this and the R6 forks. I'm happy! Just saying this is an option and I could get the shim stack details if someone wants to duplicate it.

I moved the ECM mounting tray up with spacers, but no other mods to the bike itself. Just bolt in.

IMG_20130329_142723_583WEB_zps9d0df3f2.jpg

Given the choice, I would pay the extra so you can dial it in.