Help! Stuck oil drain bolt

US will change when it becomes economical to do so. At this point there is no compelling reason to change. This has been debated since the '70's.

This is sad commentary. Who considers it economical having to maintain two entire sets of tools, never mind the constant vigilance in segregating the zillions of expensive tools? How many zillions of nuts, bolts, threads, tools, (even a NASA space mission) have already been damaged due to the confusion inevitable due to non-standardization? Of course, this (standardizing to one system) isn't really even a debate. It's about convincing one generation willing to pave the way for future generations. One of these days, I wouldn't be surprised if a US car manufacturer announced adopting the metric system. It would, no doubt, make US vehicles more attractive to the rest of the world. Gawd, this subject reminds me of some trying to quit smoking, Beta vs. VCR, HD vs Blueray, or something. Do you work for Stanley Tools?

This is sad commentary. Who considers it economical having to maintain two entire sets of tools, never mind the constant vigilance in segregating the zillions of expensive tools? How many zillions of nuts, bolts, threads, tools, (even a NASA space mission) have already been damaged due to the confusion inevitable due to non-standardization? Of course, this (standardizing to one system) isn't really even a debate. It's about convincing one generation willing to pave the way for future generations. One of these days, I wouldn't be surprised if a US car manufacturer announced adopting the metric system. It would, no doubt, make US vehicles more attractive to the rest of the world. Gawd, this subject reminds me of some trying to quit smoking, Beta vs. VCR, HD vs Blueray, or something. Do you work for Stanley Tools?

The industry will decide when it makes sense to them. If there is an advantage they will change when it makes sense. The Government tried pushing this thirty years ago with little success (remember the goofy dual speed limit signs?). Let's hope they don't try to enforce this like everything else they are legislating these days. Let the market decide. Many car parts have been metric for years; I have a 2004 Buick and many of its fasteners are metric. The English and metric systems have coexisted for centuries, and it will continue.

OT: metric vs. standard. This is just one of the reasons I have a hard time justifying a Harley -- I'd have to buy new tools :D.

Dennis

Vice grips, make sure your turning the correct way, and new drain bolt.

I stopped reading half through the 2nd page so if this is solved... well...

Vice grips, make sure your turning the correct way, and new drain bolt.

Kick A.

Back