HID Retrofit Laws for Cagers

Coopdman

Wolf Pack of One
Reaction score
Visit site
So I'm curious what anyone knows or can share about HID retrofits in cars/trucks and the law.

I live in North Carolina and I've been told by two officials (state inspector at the DMV and my mechanic who would do the inspections when the time comes) that as long as the parts used have DOT stamped on them they are not illegal to use in a different vehicle. Of course there are other stipulations like the color of the light emitted, modifications to ride height, proper alignment, etc...

So with this minimal research I spent $400 and 30 hours retrofitting bi-xenon projectors from a Mercedes E55 with OEM ballasts and bulbs (4300K) in my 2006 Honda Ridgeline and now I'm finding out from a few people that this may be illegal??

What are you opinions or your experiences with this? Thanks!

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
I have no idea if it is illegal or not and it may be a local law but I doubt you will get a ticket from a cop unless there is a big crackdown, you have it aimed improperly, or are pulled over for another problem. If you have inspections there you are more likely to not pass if it is illegal.

Hopefully you can refit your old ones in case it becomes an issue.

Coopdman

Wolf Pack of One
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I feel the same way. Since my state inspector and mechanic cleared it, i should have no problem passing the annual inspection. I think it's aimed well, but may pay a visit to have it checked just in case. At least that's a little more paperwork on my side.

Here's one of the claims stating it's illegal. Any lawyers or legal savvy on here?

"It's really pretty simple... if your vehicle was factory equipped with H4 bulbs the only bulb you can ever legally use in that vehicle is an H4. All H4 bulbs must have the "DOT" identifier on the product.

So you can buy headlamps from a MB E55 that say "DOT Approved" on them, but they're only approved on an E55, not any other vehicle, not even a different MB product unless it's the same part number as originally equipped on that vehicle.

Last year NHTSA had several hearings on this subject and concluded that there should be no changes to the rules.

Here's a sample NHTSA investigation notice of an aftermarket HID system:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/portal/site...earSelect=2004

The key words are: "To date, NHTSA has investigated 24 HID conversion kit suppliers; all investigations have resulted in recalls or termination of sales."

That statement is a few years old and they've shut down many more companies since then. The bottom line is that no matter what a web site says there is no legal way to change the factory headlamp system for on highway use. Many sell these with small disclaimers that say "for off road use only" or similar. "

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I'd consider it wise to keep a set of OEM headlamps around, in case you should run accross a LEO with an issue with the lights..... It's almost certainly going to be a 'fix it' type of ticket; if that's the case, go home, install the OEM parts, get the ticket signed off.... and then swap it all out again.

Coopdman

Wolf Pack of One
Reaction score
Visit site
Not a bad idea... I've already looked on ebay and I can have a spare set for about $200. Well worth it if not for a ticket for when I decide to sell.

goker

------------
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Last year NHTSA had several hearings on this subject and concluded that there should be no changes to the rules.

Here's a sample NHTSA investigation notice of an aftermarket HID system:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/portal/site...earSelect=2004

The key words are: "To date, NHTSA has investigated 24 HID conversion kit suppliers; all investigations have resulted in recalls or termination of sales."

I cannot find this anywhere on NHTSA site. Hmmmm...... :eyebrow:

Last edited: