High Beam not working.

virhiryu

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, i was starting to bild up my fz6 after repainting a farings after small slide and now my hight beam dont work. I have low beam and when i took the bulb out all indication on the speddometer for hight beam works fine but if i connect the bulb back in the indication on the speedo dont work any more, i change the bulb for new one just to make sure but still same issue. On the started bike, everythink else works fine but hight beam dont. and as seeing that indication work without the bulb would say handlebar switches are fine as both of them work and show up on speedo without the bulb... dont know were to go with it now.. any ideas?

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Unplug the h4 bulb, turn on the high-beams (there should be an indicator on the speedometer), then measure for voltage across the 2 wires of the plug with a voltmeter. 2021-07-19_16-10-02.jpg

On the US bike, Black/Yellow is hot and solid Black is ground. You are looking for 12V across the two terminals when the high beams are on. If you get -12v that is OK, it simply means that the meter is hooked up backwards. If you get either +12V or -12V then problem is likely the bulb.....

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also, when testing for headlamp voltage, you must start the engine then leave the key in the on position and use the red kill switch to shut the motor off. This way the headlamp relay that provides the headlamp remain energized.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also, when testing for headlamp voltage, you must start the engine then leave the key in the on position and use the red kill switch to shut the motor off. This way the headlamp relay that provides the headlamp remain energized.
Thanks Cliff. I mentioned that there should be an indicator on the speedo, but I see that was a bit vague. Thanks for clearing it up.

virhiryu

Reaction score
Visit site
Unplug the h4 bulb, turn on the high-beams (there should be an indicator on the speedometer), then measure for voltage across the 2 wires of the plug with a voltmeter. View attachment 74355

On the US bike, Black/Yellow is hot and solid Black is ground. You are looking for 12V across the two terminals when the high beams are on. If you get -12v that is OK, it simply means that the meter is hooked up backwards. If you get either +12V or -12V then problem is likely the bulb.....
yea volatage bettwen the black/yellow and black is 10.4V with battery 11.6v, Bulb is okay as its new and tested on battery. I would guest it have a short somewere or voltage drop o relay as funconaly it works fine just the voltage is to small to actualy turn bulb on. now its that issue to get wiring loom and fallow the wire to find an issue.