Higher output Stator Coil (alternator)?

interactive3

FZ6 Rider
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I made one electrical mod by doing biker_dude43's dual headlight mod. I love having two low beam lights, but after a week of riding and then letting the bike sit for 3 days the battery was almost dead (not enough juice to start the bike). I'm using standard wattage bulbs so I didn't think there would be a problem.

I'd like to be sure I don't discharge the battery again and just in case there are some other electrical mods I'd like to have enough power to run everything and charge the battery.

Is there an aftermarket stator coil or another yamaha part (that would fit) that has higher output? :confused:

Thanks

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think the load of the headlight mod is necessarily the culprit here.

If your bike was running fine when you stopped riding for 3 days and came back and the battery was low, I would suspect that there is a battery or wiring issue.

Charge the battery, and test your voltages with the ignition off and then with the engine running with the high beams on. You should get a reading of about 13.5 volts off (if less than 12 volts the battery is bad) and 14.5 to 15 volts running. If you get the 14.5 to 15 running the alternator is OK.

If the alternator tests out OK, then turn off the ignition, disconnect the ground from the battery, and put the tester to Ohms, touch the two battery leads in proper polarity and see if you get a reading. You should not get any reading on any ohm scale. If you don't then your battery may be failing and you will need to do a load test.

If you do get a reading, then something you did during the mod created a circuit that is not controlled by the ignition switch and is draining the battery. It is not a short since you, (I'm assuming here) don't have any blown fuses.

At least this is what I would do in your case. Hope it helps.

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
At 2 years old your battery could be in for replacement. It wouldn't hold the charge as well as it should.
I'm "told" that battery life is about 2 years on a bike, i got 3 years out of mine.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Go back and check your wiring. Running the dual headlight should not run the battery down. I have higher wattage bulbs in both lights on mine. In addition to that I also have a power outlet and a intercom/CB radio. Battery is still fine. Starts right up everytime. However when I go home I will throw the trickle charger on it.

While you are checking everything, if you havent already, pick up a trickle charger and add the pigtails to the bike to make charging easier.

Battery Tender: How-To

-bryan

interactive3

FZ6 Rider
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Go back and check your wiring. Running the dual headlight should not run the battery down. I have higher wattage bulbs in both lights on mine. In addition to that I also have a power outlet and a intercom/CB radio. Battery is still fine. Starts right up everytime. However when I go home I will throw the trickle charger on it.

While you are checking everything, if you havent already, pick up a trickle charger and add the pigtails to the bike to make charging easier.

Battery Tender: How-To

-bryan

Thanks. I'll check the wiring.

Luckily I had ordered a battery tender just before the dead battery issue. I installed the battery tender "pigtail". Since then I plug the bike in just to be sure it starts. Still, I'm worried about extended days away from home and away from an AC plug.

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
I would vote for bad battery as well. Shortly after I did my pod light mod my bike wouldn't start. The bike had sat for the weekend and I assumed at the time I had messed up the wiring. The weekend it sat was the first cold weekend we had and I think the temp change finally did the battery in. Maybe you are having similar issues now because of the cold.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks. I'll check the wiring.

Luckily I had ordered a battery tender just before the dead battery issue. I installed the battery tender \"pigtail\". Since then I plug the bike in just to be sure it starts. Still, I'm worried about extended days away from home and away from an AC plug.

Yea, I wouldnt leave it for extend periods either.

-bryan

W

wrightme43

You usually seem to get one warning like that, then about 3 or 4 weeks later the bike just wont start, and the battery wont hold any charge at all. Just my experince. Start saving up for a new battery now, or ask for a YUSA for Christmas.