Hissing sound in corners?

kellybt1052

Reaction score
Visit site
So i have noticed a hissing sound as I corner. This happens at all speeds, seems to be greater at higher lean angles however. At first I thought is was aero around the fairing tips but I have noticed at 30-35 mph relatively high lean angle turns as well. Perhaps a breather or vent hose?? Finally, does not seem to affect any fueling or throttle response or any other function, just a noticeable hissing sound. Not a big worry just curious and its monday and rainy so no riding today in Dallas.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
is this a new sound or has it always been there? sounds like pressure on the wheel bearings or a dry axle. Either way pull the wheels, inspect the bearings and grease the axle.

kellybt1052

Reaction score
Visit site
No, it seems to have been there the entire time as far as I can remember, thats probably why I thought it was Aero related kind of like a wing tip vortice. It has about 4000 miles on it and very little of it <80 miles of that in foul weather. It is going in for a 4000 mile check so I will be sure to have them take a close look at the axle and bearings in the wheels. Thanks!

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
very well could just be tire sounds too, hard to tell not hearing it, but that is my guess of possible problems.

fz6joker

Damn Hooligan
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Is there any possibility that something is leaking on the bike and when you lean it could be spilling out onto your headers or engine thus creating a Hissing sound as the liquid meets the hot metal.

Just a possibility

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Footpeg dragging on the pavement?

Seriously you could be hearing the brake pads on the rotor. When you are cornering you are typcially at neutral or trailing throttle until you apex and get back on the gas. During that time you hear all kinds of things. I've also noticed I hear "funny" noises when the wind is to my back whereas is I'm going into the wind I don't hear much aside from wind noise in the helmet.

I suspect your bike is probably fine. Now if your front end falls off don't blame me. ;)

kellybt1052

Reaction score
Visit site
Come to think of it mostly when I am riding with wind at back or little wind. I generally notice it more when I am cornering more aggressivly, I generally dont trail brake much rather lean in, crack on and roll the throttle all the way out. The sound hits right as I lean in, so I was thinking maybe a vacum or vent line, no leaking noticed and no pegs scrapped yet. Not to worried about it just thought it was an interesting little noise. This is what happens on cold rainy days, too much thinkin, not enough riding. Thanks for the ideas!!

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When was the last time you lubed your chain? A noisy chain can become very noticeable if you lean into a corner and move your left leg out of the way. When your left leg is up against the side of the bike, you can hardly hear it, but move your leg out, and you can hear your chain. This sometimes may be referred to as a hissing sound.

Just an idea. Who knows...

racerws

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Probably just that snake you ran over and it caught in the swingarm.
I'd take a hoe with you next time you ride, just in case.
(I said a hoe not a ho)

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Probably just the brake disc's on the drilled rotors , mine does it too :D infact they all do , just that now you've noticed it your listening in for it and making it much worse that it is.....

kellybt1052

Reaction score
Visit site
(I said a hoe not a ho)

The joys of riding in TX, i'll take a close look to see if i picked up some local fauna!!!

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
(I said a hoe not a ho)

But the latter would make for a MUCH more interesting ride! ;)

In the spring, I'll have to listen for the sound...

B

bluenova

Do you stick your knee out when you corner? My chain makes a hissing noise that can only be heard when my knee is sticking out, when it's against the tank I don't hear it. Try sticking your left knee out when going in a streight line and see if you hear it then.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I often get a hissing noise through corners, but it's just the wind whistling through my grinning teeth:rockon::rockon::rockon:...lol. Sorry. Couldn't help it:spank::spank::spank::ban:.

Try lifting your chin and moving your head from side to side and see if it only comes from one side. Lifting your chin just allows more noise into your helmet.

Could be feathered tires. Some makes of tires will make a bit of noise ( my Dunlop front, for instance is a touch noisy).

Most likely, as Mr. Humpy said, It's a small amount of movement of your wheel causing the pads to swish on the discs a bit. Never hurt to strip and grease it though.:thumbup:

Cheers
Mike