Homemade Tank Camera Mount

SeekGod1st

Reaction score
Visit site
I built a homemade tank camera mount, it's not the prettiest but it works really well.

I first built my mount for my handle bars from a google $5 motorcycle camera mount search, but found that the vibes running through the bars are through the roof.

I adapted my mount to then attach to the tank because as I was riding once day I set my hand on the bars and then on the tank and found that the tank vibrates at about 1/10th that the handlebars do.

Well I was convinced so here it is, I figure it cost between $10 and $15. I like the way that it holds the speedo in the frame.

I used the camera to shoot the twisties up Mt. Baldy, the switchbacks near the very top require downshifting to 1st gear because they are so tight.

I hope I inserted everything correctly, if I didn't I apologize.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4ijDZTXCC0]YouTube - Manny's Motorcycle Movie Up Mt. Baldy Switchbacks[/ame]

SeekGod1st

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice! Video seems more steady than most I've seen on youtube.
It is very steady, I left the camera on when I rode home on the freeway and the camera was just as steady and clear at 90mph.

I was surprised myself, because I just used my wifes cheap Flip Camera and got decent results.

W

wrightme43

Good job man!! I like it.

May I offer some design ideas????

You may want to consider that major arteries run thru your legs, and your boys are in the same place. Maybe switch over to socket head screws resessed into the pvc so that there is not big chunks of sharp metal there on the tank.

SeekGod1st

Reaction score
Visit site
Good job man!! I like it.

May I offer some design ideas????

You may want to consider that major arteries run thru your legs, and your boys are in the same place. Maybe switch over to socket head screws resessed into the pvc so that there is not big chunks of sharp metal there on the tank.
Yes, I see what you mean I recess the screws into the PVC and...............

No, that won't work. J/K LOL

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Cool idea! What kind of Camera is that? I have a GoPro But I think the 170 deg. lens on it is bad for filming riders directly in front. Nice road...

Cliff

SeekGod1st

Reaction score
Visit site
Cool idea! What kind of Camera is that? I have a GoPro But I think the 170 deg. lens on it is bad for filming riders directly in front. Nice road...

Cliff
It's just my wife's Flip camera that cost around $100, not much to it.

The road is nice it goes from the 210 freeway about 1500ft. to 6500ft. in 13 miles.

It finishes at the top of Mt. Baldy where there is a ski slope, and ski lodge.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
thats an excelent little invention.. i might have to borrow the schematics :)... oh and what kind of windscreen is that, light smoke??? or stock screen?? good work :thumbup:

SeekGod1st

Reaction score
Visit site
thats an excelent little invention.. i might have to borrow the schematics :)... oh and what kind of windscreen is that, light smoke??? or stock screen?? good work :thumbup:
Thanks for the Kudos. I put the mount up there so anyone that might want to use it can.

The windscreen is a Puig Dark Smoke even though it doesn't look dark in the video.

Incidently I was surprised that the dark windscreen looks so light in the video, that was a pleasant surprise because I thought I was going to have to swap windscreens when I used the camera, it was great that there was no need to.

BusyWeb

Reaction score
Visit site
What a great idea!!
And nice result came out from it.

Thanks for the idea,,, so that I could borrow it for the next project.. ha ha ha

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Cool idea! PVC Piping Is Your Friend - easy to work with, and a good strong material.

I've been looking for a way to mount my handheld GPS somewhere other than the handlebars, as the handlebar vibration causes it to malfunction. What you've done would work for a GPS mount also. But do you have to unbolt the assembly to open the fuel cap? Starts climbing on the PITA-to-use scale if so. Maybe a way to design is so it doesn't block the fuel cap from opening...

SeekGod1st

Reaction score
Visit site
Cool idea! PVC Piping Is Your Friend - easy to work with, and a good strong material.

I've been looking for a way to mount my handheld GPS somewhere other than the handlebars, as the handlebar vibration causes it to malfunction. What you've done would work for a GPS mount also. But do you have to unbolt the assembly to open the fuel cap? Starts climbing on the PITA-to-use scale if so. Maybe a way to design is so it doesn't block the fuel cap from opening...
If you buy a camera mount on ebay, they sell for about $30-$35 and mount on the tank.

The difference is that it is formed in a circular pattern that still lets you open the fuel tank.