Hotel recomendations in DC area

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Guys,

I'm taking a weekend trip to Washington and am looking for a little advice on where to stay. I searched for a few hours, but find most rooms in the city are 2-3 hundred a night. I'm not really concerned with where I sleep, and would prefer not to pay that much for a couple nights. Anyone have any recommendations for a good hotel/motel on the outskirts of the city that is not a stupid price?

Thanks for the help.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Even though I'm not from that area, I have spent enough time in D.C. as well as the surrounding areas such as PG County, Montgomery County, or even Tyson's Corner VA which I would recommend. Marriott, Hilton, you name it, it's there. Generally, weekend rates at hotels are cheaper vs weekdays, in which they rape the business travellers.

I was going to say staying in D.C. will cost you a Handle Bar and a Swing Arm. Expensive! But you already found that out.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
just get a hotel in a suburb thats close to a metro station. then park at that metro station (free on weekends).
there are no parking spaces in dc metro stations. take the metro rail into the city. dc is very walkable for tourists.
Metro - Rail - Maps - Rail/Google Map

you could also take a metro bus around while you're in the city. i've never taken a metro bus in my life! but that's because i'm from the burbs.

no offense to anyone, i was born and raised in PG county, but the maryland green line is hood and so is md orange and blue. avoid the anacostia area unless you're going to a nats game.

enjoy!
you just missed all the cherry blossom festivities.

Last edited:

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
here's what i mean:

Comfort Inn Shady Grove-A Gaithersburg, MD Hotel

it's 1 mile away from the shady grove metro station on the red line.
just seeing what their prices are here:
Gaithersburg Maryland hotels, Comfort Inn hotel near Lakeforest Mall, Gaithersburg MD 20877

for
Sunday, May 2, 2010, 1 night stay, 1 Room for 1 adult and no children
1 Double Bed, No Smoking
$84.00 + %13 taxes :eek:

now, shady grove to the mall, which is like the Federal Triangle station is (one way):
$2.45 (weekend rate)
17.73 miles
40 minutes (because of all the stops and shady grove is the furthest out on the red line)

Much better than $200 a night. i never knew it was that expensive. that's the prices they expect rich lobbyists on retainer fees to pay....

Boom, problem solved!

jeff in ohio

Reaction score
Visit site
I always stay in Rosslyn near the Rosslyn metro station. There is the Holiday Inn at Key Bridge, Key Bridge Marriott, Courtyard Rosslyn, Residence Inn Rosslyn and several others. It's adeent area and east walk across the Key Bridge to M street where all the stuff in Georgetown is.

You must go here on 22nd street

The Brickskeller & DA's RFD Washington DC

FZ-B

Reaction score
Visit site
I stayed at The Churchill in the DuPont Circle area in September. Nice place, priced decent in terms of the location and the bed was bar none the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in!

Jim Karam

Trying to Keep Up
Reaction score
www.karam.com
I also strongly recommend staying in the Rosslyn area. I like the Hyatt Arlington Hotels -Hyatt Arlington- Virginia Hotel Reservations because it's right on top of the Metro station. Their weekend rates are fine, e.g., $104/night for April 30 & May 1st. An even nicer combination is the Ritz Carlton in Pentagon City, again that sits on top of a Metro station and one of the best shopping malls in DC. Unfortunately, it's rates are indeed in the $200+ or so range, even on the weekends. Just be careful not to stay over into a weekday, and you'll be able to find reasonable rates.

sam5c

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey I'm always traveling around in the northeast for my work and I have stayed in the Washington D.C. area a few times. I always go to priceline and bid on hotels and I've stayed in some cool places around D.C. and never paid more than $60 a night. You should definately check that out. The last place I stayed at in D.C. about 3 weeks ago was at National Harbor, Maryland. It's about a 20 min drive outside of D.C. and the area is real nice. Actually for National Harbor I paid $69 per night, that was from Thursday to Sunday.

Last edited:

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the help guys. I wound up using the the price line idea and picked up a room for two night for $150. It was the Holiday Inn Arlington at Ballston. Pretty nice place and within 10 minutes of DC.

We toured the Mall on Saturday and took tons of pics. Kellina had never been so we hit all the museums and monuments. She had a blast, and the fat man did too!

After seeing all there was to see we were craving seafood so we had dinner at Joe's crab shack in Fairfax VA and called it a day. Nice place, and great selection of souvenirs.

PS the sun is out so if your bald(like me) and planning on doing a couple days in the sun, wear a hat(unlike me)!:D

Thanks again for the help.