How do you warm up your bike?

Johhnnyyh

Reaction score
Visit site
I usually wait until the bar in my RPM to stop blinking, which is a few minutes. I was wondering if there's another way? I don't want to let it warm up for a few seconds or rev my engine if it's going to harm the engine.

Soupnutz

Reaction score
Visit site
You can hear the idle rpm drop a little when the bike is ready to go. I crank it up, then in the meantime I put on my helmet, earplugs, and gloves and its usually good to go by then.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You can hear the idle rpm drop a little when the bike is ready to go. I crank it up, then in the meantime I put on my helmet, earplugs, and gloves and its usually good to go by then.

+1 ^^^^ and start riding but keeping the RPM's fairly low (say under 4k) until at least until the water temp gets to normal.

And even then, MORE IMPORTANTLY, the OIL TEMP, is NOT fully warmed up yet. When you can feel the clutch cover and its as warm as normal operation, 14 k is the limit!

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
On my dads BMW it has a bit of an interesting function, there's an electronic rev limiter and it starts with the redline down at about 5k and wont let you go over it, as the bike warms it progressively "unlocks" more revs to like 7k, 9k then the full regular redline. If you try to rev over any of these limits it just bogs down and doesn't let you

dbldutch02

Reaction score
Visit site
On my dads BMW it has a bit of an interesting function, there's an electronic rev limiter and it starts with the redline down at about 5k and wont let you go over it, as the bike warms it progressively "unlocks" more revs to like 7k, 9k then the full regular redline. If you try to rev over any of these limits it just bogs down and doesn't let you

Clever, though in an emergency I'd rather have the option.

As for the question, as above, and take it easy for the first few miles to let the tyres warm up

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
I live on a 55 mph road so what I do is.

Put on all my gear, get on bike, turn it on, wait 5 seconds. Pull onto my street, I make sure to use at least 50% throttle and exceed 10,000 RPM in first. This brings the temperature up really fast.

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Put on all my gear, get on bike, turn it on, wait 5 seconds. Pull onto my street, I make sure to use at least 50% throttle and exceed 10,000 RPM in first. This brings the temperature up really fast.

This has to be sarcasm, right?

I like to roll my bike inside and bring it up to my room, wrapping it in a couple of blankets and putting a hot water bottle on the seat. I always make it some hot tea, and porridge, and find that while the tank prefers porridge, the oil cap prefers tea. I fire it up and while it gurgles, it does seem to warm up faster where I let it warm up until it doesn't say "Lo". Sometimes I breathe on it, or use a hair dryer to heat up the oil a wee bit.

gonnacrash

Reaction score
Visit site
I start it, roll it off the front porch. Use the clutch to get it to the road, gently, it's about 75 feet. Then I drive up the road not going over 4k or so for a 1/2 mile. Then I don't go crazy for a few mins.

7UPyours

Reaction score
Visit site
This has to be sarcasm, right?

I like to roll my bike inside and bring it up to my room, wrapping it in a couple of blankets and putting a hot water bottle on the seat. I always make it some hot tea, and porridge, and find that while the tank prefers porridge, the oil cap prefers tea. I fire it up and while it gurgles, it does seem to warm up faster where I let it warm up until it doesn't say "Lo". Sometimes I breathe on it, or use a hair dryer to heat up the oil a wee bit.

such a noob........................my bike wakes up warm since I spoon it all night under the blanket than when it's time to head out she is as ready as needs be :)

but seriously, I start the bike, fold my cover into the bag, zip up my jacket, put my helmet, gloves on and roll out keeping the RPMs on the lower side

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
I start it, roll it off the front porch. Use the clutch to get it to the road, gently, it's about 75 feet. Then I drive up the road not going over 4k or so for a 1/2 mile. Then I don't go crazy for a few mins.

and by the time I get control on my craziness, I'll reach my destination ;)

gonnacrash

Reaction score
Visit site
and by the time I get control on my craziness, I'll reach my destination ;)

Well the closest place I can go is 6 miles away. Town is 6 miles oneway, there is a gas station 6 miles the other way.

The benifits of this are my back yard is my gun range, and I can piss off my deck and no one can see.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
such a noob........................my bike wakes up warm since I spoon it all night under the blanket than when it's time to head out she is as ready as needs be :)

but seriously, I start the bike, fold my cover into the bag, zip up my jacket, put my helmet, gloves on and roll out keeping the RPMs on the lower side

Uhmmm......
newlove.jpg

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
i generally just start it up and finish putting gear on before taking it easy till it gets to a decent temp, mine will cut and bogg down HARD if i try and step on it before shes warm enough. However, in winter, when its in the 40's and below for the high I will idle for a min, then opt to take the long way through the neighborhood (1/2 mile, slowly in 1st) before getting out into traffic. I have on a few days when i just slept too late just gottten on and went, but I felt just plain bad to do that to her. Although the Mrs. seems to like it :spank::thumbup: