How many miles are on your FZ6?

nikolasvel

Reaction score
Visit site
I just recently acquired my FZ6 with 8k miles and plan on putting a lot more in time hopefully. I am curious to hear your guys mileage on your bikes. What would you say are a lot of miles for that motor?

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got 144000 Km's (89477 miles) on mine, bought it new in 2007. It's always been kept outside and has done me well :thumbup: I must admit I'm looking for a new (to me) bike at the mo, but I seem to keep coming back to the FZ6 features as best, among others the reliability.

Ital

Reaction score
Visit site
2300 miles on mine bought her last year with 300 miles on it. I was checking her out last night and adjusted the chain. While cleaning the from fender I notice two bolts missing from from it and it was lose like crazy. I found similar bolts and put it on but makes me wonder if anything else can be lose...
I do not think this bike ever saw the dealer after it being purchased new in 2013. I am actually bringing her to get the leo vince pipes so hopefully they will do a "20 point inspection"

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
2300 miles on mine bought her last year with 300 miles on it. I was checking her out last night and adjusted the chain. While cleaning the from fender I notice two bolts missing from from it and it was lose like crazy. I found similar bolts and put it on but makes me wonder if anything else can be lose...
I do not think this bike ever saw the dealer after it being purchased new in 2013. I am actually bringing her to get the leo vince pipes so hopefully they will do a "20 point inspection"

I'd suggest getting a decent set of metric sockets, wrenches, etc.

You don't have to be a mechanic to do a "simple go over" the bike every once in awhile.

Finding lost / loose fasteners is NOT uncommon.

An hour of shop time (labor) will pay for a very decent set of tools and pay for itself in one check...

Do you have the owners / shop manual for the bike?

The owners manual is very basic and meant for basic checks / adjustments...

Besides the above, I prefer to do this myself as I know, when I'm done, everything's been gone over correctly, anything worn(say brake pads), were at least glanced at, are now a known issue, etc... And nothing UN-needed, is going to sold/pushed on me when I KNOW the spec's for the pads, and it's well within spec's..

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got 144000 Km's (89477 miles) on mine, bought it new in 2007. It's always been kept outside and has done me well :thumbup: I must admit I'm looking for a new (to me) bike at the mo, but I seem to keep coming back to the FZ6 features as best, among others the reliability.

Martin, you have a great shot of overtaking me. I've only ridden 6k miles since I rolled over 100k a few years ago. My new bike has definitely affected the amount of miles I put on my FZ

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought mine a little over a year ago with 18k miles on the odometer and it's creeping up on 38k right now.

I'm hoping to hit that century mark in another couple years.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Martin, you have a great shot of overtaking me. I've only ridden 6k miles since I rolled over 100k a few years ago. My new bike has definitely affected the amount of miles I put on my FZ

Unfortunately this doesn't seem likely, my FZ6 is off the road at the moment, hopefully I can find a second hand ECU for my SAHG model, type number FUA0018, there seem to be plenty of pre 2007 ECU's around but none with the ABS option. New from Yamaha the whole key/transponder/CDU set costs about €1200 :eek: If the dealer gives me any real trade in value for it I'll probably trade it in for a new bike. So no worries your mega milage record is not in danger :)

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Unfortunately this doesn't seem likely, my FZ6 is off the road at the moment, hopefully I can find a second hand ECU for my SAHG model, type number FUA0018, there seem to be plenty of pre 2007 ECU's around but none with the ABS option. New from Yamaha the whole key/transponder/CDU set costs about €1200 :eek: If the dealer gives me any real trade in value for it I'll probably trade it in for a new bike. So no worries your mega milage record is not in danger :)

Might this be worth the fix?:

https://www.carmo.nl/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4106&sort=20a&language=en

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Thanks for the tip Scott, my ECU is repaired by these guys just over a year ago, as my dealer sent it to them for repair (cost €329.50) . Unfortunately a year later it's broken again, and as it's just over a year later there is no guarantee :spank: I did talk to them and they said it was possible to reset a good ECU using the red key. I came across motomatrix talking to Dolau, who used to be on the forum, he bought a guaranteed, reset ECU for about 200pounds from them. Neither of these companies have the correct ECU at the moment but they can both reset a good second hand one (for a fee of course).So I'm now looking out for a good second hand one.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the tip Scott, my ECU is repaired by these guys just over a year ago, as my dealer sent it to them for repair (cost €329.50) . Unfortunately a year later it's broken again, and as it's just over a year later there is no guarantee :spank: I did talk to them and they said it was possible to reset a good ECU using the red key. I came across motomatrix talking to Dolau, who used to be on the forum, he bought a guaranteed, reset ECU for about 200pounds from them. Neither of these companies have the correct ECU at the moment but they can both reset a good second hand one (for a fee of course).So I'm now looking out for a good second hand one.

That sucks... They should step up and fix that one.... Especially being so close to the warranty period...

I will NOT post their link /web site anymore... Crappy customer service...

Fixing to forward this thread to them. News travels very fast, especially poor service...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
E-mail sent to Carmo:

Sir,

Being in the US, I found your site and recommended it for several years on both the FZ6 site as well as a Yamaha outboard engine site.

Specifically post #12:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...783-how-many-miles-your-fz6-2.html#post633503

Being a business owner myself, although the unit is just out of warranty, I find it VERY DISAPPOINTING a "good faith" repair could not be done. The initial cost is not cheap and to ONLY last just over a year, well....:(

My stock ECU is from 2007, TEN YEARS OLD and still works fine. I would expect a repaired one to last at least half that long..

Needless to say, I won't be posting your website in the future simply for the above.

Scott Townsend
Florida, USA.

CC to the FZ6 forum, FJR forum: FJRForum? and Yamaha outboard forum: Yamaha Outboard Forum - Yamaha Outboard Parts Forum

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
E-mail sent to Carmo:

Sir,

Being in the US, I found your site and recommended it for several years on both the FZ6 site as well as a Yamaha outboard engine site.

Specifically post #12:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...783-how-many-miles-your-fz6-2.html#post633503

Being a business owner myself, although the unit is just out of warranty, I find it VERY DISAPPOINTING a "good faith" repair could not be done. The initial cost is not cheap and to ONLY last just over a year, well....:(

My stock ECU is from 2007, TEN YEARS OLD and still works fine. I would expect a repaired one to last at least half that long..

Needless to say, I won't be posting your website in the future simply for the above.

Scott Townsend
Florida, USA.

CC to the FZ6 forum, FJR forum: FJRForum? and Yamaha outboard forum: Yamaha Outboard Forum - Yamaha Outboard Parts Forum

Thanks Scott but TBH I had also asked if they could notify me of any ECU they know about, whether it was just 2nd hand or if they had checked it. Yes the customer service was lousy, but they stated at the time of repair that corrosion had gotten into the chip, which is why they weren't willing to go any further than the waranty. But as you can imagine I'm not throwing good money in their direction for another "repair".